V6, V8 torque arm length

Moderator: Moderators

V6, V8 torque arm length

Postby 77nighthawk » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm needing to know what the torque arm length for a sbc 350 V8, th350 is. I have 3 torque arms, 2 are the same, and 1 uses the pocketed front mount. On the 2 that are the same, I came up with roughly 58 3/4 inches total length, roughly 53 3/8 inches center of front bushing, to center of the front bolt hole on the rear end. Are these the correct torque arms for the V8 application? All help is VERY appreciated. Brad

Here's a pic of the torque arms I have.

20160216_203217r25.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it don't scare me, I don't want it.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Re: V6, V8 torque arm length

Postby mahoy78spyder » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:29 am

Ugh.. I wish I could help but I gave my torque arm (V8 w/ auto trans) to Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle so that they could use it as a template to make a tubular torque arm replacement. I'd love to hear others chime in here though because I've wanted to know and document the different lengths of torque arms for some time now.
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby stage169 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:44 pm

I would guess the shorter one. A lot of info here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32931
stage169

Postby 77nighthawk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:29 am

stage169, thanks for that link. I didn't find a measure for the torque arm, but they had a measure for the driveshaft, v6,v8 with Saginaw or auto, is 42 1/4 inches weld to weld, which I have. I checked it in the car, and it fits perfectly where the tranny is mounted. I held the torque arm in place, and I have a winner. Mahoy78spyder, mark down the measurements I stated, as v6,v8 Saginaw and auto. Thank you very, very much. Looks like I'll be working on my car this weekend. Brad

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby kgroombr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:58 am

I have seen this topic pop up many times, I think we should band together and find all the different versions that we know what fits what, do a "proper" measurement, and consolidate the findings. I know there are different torque arms for different transmissions and rear axle (6.5 vs 7.5). Did Vega and Monza use the same torque arms for the same types of engines and trannys? Heck, this list could get long, but I think it needs to be answered. We should probably add modified torque arms for specific applications too. It would be helpful.

I will take the lead if you think this is something to go with.

Before getting started, the method of measurement must be the same. I read somewhere that for the circular bushing, the starting point of the measurement is the center of the bushing. If that isn't right, post your thoughts. I have seen later torque arms that have the prong that goes through the slot in the bushing (like the middle one in the first pic). Have no clue where to start on that one.

From the starting point do we measure to the trailing edge of the torque arm? I am not sure on this one. Maybe it should be where the bolts go through. Once this is hashed out, I will create some pics on how to do a proper measurement and post and go from there. I have two (maybe three) different torque arms (all with circular bushing) that I can measure and post to get things started after that.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 77nighthawk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:01 pm

I agree, there needs to be a record. I have no objections with you doing the work. I think the bushed torque arms should definitely start center of bushing. The second point of measure needs to me a constant, I went with the forward bolt hole for mounting it to the rear axle housing, but the rear bolt hole would work as well. On the factory units, total length would probably work, as they were die stamped, but hole to hole is more precise, and allows someone to make their own tubular unit, with the measurements. Brad

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby bugdewde » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Ronnie, the guy with 30-40 h-bodies, down in Tellico Plains, TN had two or three listed in his ebay auctions.
He measures them from bushing center to rear bolt hole.
Check his ebay auctions (grandparat409) or maybe message him by email from his site (vegaguy.com). Bet he has some useful info. I've been to his shop and he has a ton of parts and probably has several torque arms.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

Postby kgroombr » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:41 am

bugdewde wrote:He measures them from bushing center to rear bolt hole.

I just got done looking at his post. He lists his measurement as "from center of first bolt on rear end to center of eye on bushing." To me that really doesn't tell me which bolt hole as "first" has to be with respect to something. I could see this as being either hole. I reached out to him to get clarification.

Ken
kgroombr

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech