Flywheel and clutch setup for 78 Sunbird wagon

Moderator: Moderators

Flywheel and clutch setup for 78 Sunbird wagon

Postby keithnh » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Just bought my 78 Sunbird/Astre wagon project and intend to run it with the original 4 speed transmission, and the 3.8 liter Buick v6 from my 84 Cutlass. Cutlass motor and trans not pulled yet but I would like to get the right parts on hand for the swap. Trouble locating flywheel ... Sunbird had a Buick 215 aluminum v8 that was not part of my purchase. I got the car and driveline tranny to rearend. Located the correct bellhousing its on the way but the flywheel seems to be tough. This may be a short term drivetrain ... I just want something that will be dependable for a few years maybe. Believe there may be an external balance weight on the flywheel ?? Some oddity maybe? The Sunbird Safari came factory with the 78 version of this motor .. parts should be available. Maybe :)
keithnh

Re: Flywheel and clutch setup for 78 Sunbird wagon

Postby keithnh » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:57 pm

Noticed the "left out" area on a picture of the backside of an FW509 80 firebird flywheel for buick 3.8 V6 stick. I believe the "external balance" control. This would serve my 84 cutlass buick v6 as well most likely. I actually have both engines, and both are running. 80 Yellowbird firebird is a parts car, both cars now automatic.The FW509 teeth should mate with the starter correctly long as the flywheel will clear the bell housing, the larger 10.5 clutch pattern might not fit in the H-body bell-housing I have coming tho. Original H-body 3.8 flywheel must have been same diameter teeth or how would starter mate .. blocks are the same. H-body's have cable clutch, wondering if this is part of flywheel difference. Just wondering if anyone here might have encountered similar situations. Thanks
keithnh

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech