Torque Arm - 75 cos.

Moderator: Moderators

Torque Arm - 75 cos.

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 am

After installing the torque arm with the tranny not yet installed but bolted only to the rear end, looking from the rear forward, the torque arm should be straight with no bows or twists? I am seeing a bow on the torque arm bowing towards the drivers side from about halfway up the arm to the bushing end. So, do I need to hunt for one that is straighter or can the bow be taken out? Thanks in advance. We will be mounting the drive shaft soon and I still need a new shifter for the saginaw 4....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: Torque Arm - 75 cos.

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri May 12, 2017 3:53 pm

I spoke with one mechanic that said the torque arm is supposed to have the bow in it to preload the transmission assembly. Anyone buy this explanation for the bowed torque arm?
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Fri May 12, 2017 5:21 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote:I spoke with one mechanic that said the torque arm is supposed to have the bow in it to preload the transmission assembly. Anyone buy this explanation for the bowed torque arm?

I'm going to go with NO on that one. The bar isn't straight but a purposeful bend is just past the rear mount then it should be pretty straight as I recall. I'll try and grab a pic for you later from the rear perspective. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Fri May 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Preload the transmission????? That makes no sense to me. I do not have any bow in mine. The torque arm is to prevent axle wrap. I don't know why it would be bowed.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby nutt » Fri May 12, 2017 8:45 pm

You're probably overthinking this. It has the front rubber mount to dampen the shock, that would be the only reason why an engineered bend would be implemented. I shortened mine by lapping, gusseting, and rewelding the torque arm. It works flawlessly and I'm not scared in the least.
nutt

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech