Flywheel and clutch kit help needed.

Moderator: Moderators

Flywheel and clutch kit help needed.

Postby TeamEvil » Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 pm

We finishing up the engine for the V8 Transplant and are in an unfamiliar area right now.

The engine ('69 Camaro 327) is almost ready to go, just need to grab a distributor and some pulleys It's time to buy a flywheel/pressure plate/clutch/release bearing and could use some suggestions, info, help, on what size and style to buy. Seems like the 10.5 clutch kit is the way to go, but not sure really, just been reading and that's the one that some recommend. Not sure which flywheel to pick up, what diameter, lightened or stock weight, aluminum or steel.

Totally new territory and could use a guide to get us through. Probably like to get everything all at once and from the same place if possible, seems easier and less prone to our making a mistake, you know?

Thanks ! !

TC
TeamEvil

Re: Flywheel and clutch kit help needed.

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:05 am

My first suggestion is to call a reputable manufacturer or even a supplier and answer all of their questions as honestly as possible. Go easy with the "Guesstimates" and find some real close examples on-line to gauge your estimates and reduce by 10%, remember Dyno numbers aren't usually optimised for street or track. Try maybe Lakewood, or Mc Cloud. They will need more info than you gave us and will know way more about this than I, and I think I am pretty knomledgable. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:15 am

In order to fit in the OEM V8 Monza cable clutch bellhousing that I presume you are using, you will need to narrow your search to 153-tooth 12.75" flywheels that will take a maximum of a 10.5" clutch. Also of note, there is not a lot of space in there, a short throw-out bearing is necessary, and stay away from pressure plates with raised fingers. if the 327 is fully built and you have short gears in the rear end, the aluminum or lightened flywheel might be fun, but if it's near stock(300-ish hp.), stick with steel, oem replacement.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:38 am

Also, if you are using the stock H body bellhousing do not use the centerforce brand with the weights on them, they will not clear the clutch fork. Because of the light weight of H bodies you do not need a killer clutch, stick with a diaphram style to reduce the stress on the firewall and cable. I use a Hays "street" clutch setup that works very well along with their 30lb steel flywheel. You could go lighter as Spence said, depends on the gears you have. You will be fine with most name brand clutches, choose the shortest "short" throwout bearing you can find, helps with the clutch fork geometry. Make sure you understand how to adjust the clutch cable and pedal freeplay with the pivot stud on the top right side of the bellhousing. When you get to that point let us know if you are unsure.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech