Turbo 350 Problem - Help!

Moderator: Moderators

Turbo 350 Problem - Help!

Postby BillB1210 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:30 pm

Please help quickly...

A friend and I rebuilt my Turbo 350 last week and I reinstalled it. It lasted about 60 miles before it started to slip in reverse and chatter in first gear. Today reverse failed completely. We used a TransGo kit with new band, clutches and steels along with a new modulator - (Premium Kit).

Any idea why reverse would fail when first still operates. Aren't they the same gear other than the shifting in the valve body?

Any help would be appreciated, I plan to remove it from the car tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

BillB
BillB1210

Postby geartwister39 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:56 pm

im not sure but i also have a problem the trans in drive will leave from a stop in 2nd gear unless i put it in manual low then its ok
larry s
78 monza wagon 355/th350
geartwister39

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby peterpan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:13 pm

the turbo 400 in my camaro lost reverse the trany shop guy said somthing about a band or somthing like that broke the trany still runs great just no revese but its got a big block and a posi rear it will spin around real easy who needs reverse
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ozzymoose » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:24 am

Nice way to shorten a turning circle Ray lol, power rear wheel steer i call it!........Now to the job at hand. Diffs and gearbox's are my weak link, but i will share what i know.

Chances are with the chatter it will be the band cap, you put a new band in and the old cap has failed. (Over torqued perhaps??)

Also while you have got it out check the valve body, they got all sorts of fangeld detents and gizmos in there make sure they all look rite and more importantly check all the passages line up with the box as a shift in pressure is sure to cause your prob as well.

With diffs and box's i prefere to pull them out, strip them down to the bare item amd take them to a pro, not as expensive as you think and saves a whole lot of headaches.

Hope you find your prob, keep us posted--- Moose
If it aint broke hit it with a sledge hammer!!
ozzymoose

Turbo 350 - Help!

Postby BillB1210 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:30 am

Moose,

Thanks for the advice. I removed the transmission this morning. Some small bits of clutch material and just a little metal in the pan. The oil appeared to be polluted after just 60 miles.

Will look at the band retainer and the passages. Reverse failed completely last night before I could get it on the lift. There was some "grating" noise then no reverse.

I will let you know what we find.

BillB
BillB1210

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech