Knoxville, TN -- Autocross Today!

Moderator: Moderators

Knoxville, TN -- Autocross Today!

Postby bugdewde » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:35 am

First autocross of the 2008 season is today........ Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville. First car off is at 12:30.
Location and times: http://www.etrscca.org/soloii/schedule.php

There are 92 entrants :shock:

:( Sadly, I won't be one of them. Didn't get to work on the trans swap much yesterday. Ended up helping a buddy with his Jeep Scrambler .... which he sold while I was there!!!!! :shock:

Don't want to run the Vega with the 2-speed Power Glide.... so, I'll just spectate. Maybe next run. Looking forward to playing with the Vega on the course. I've posted pics on the local SCCA website and have had some positive feedback on it. I hope it garners a lot of attention.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby rpoz-29 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:12 pm

What are you planning to do with the suspension and tires, and what class are you thinking about? Our season starts on March 9th. I wanted to have the Vega ready for F/SP, but I'll be in the Camaro for at least part of the year.
rpoz-29

Postby bugdewde » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:13 pm

It rained yesterday...... so I didn't go as a spectator either.

I haven't been classed yet. Since it will be basically bone stock (except for the HEI dizzy and the T-50 speed... which was offered in the Vega line.... just not '73.... but who'd know?) I'd think it would be lumped in with the F-bodies and the like.... definitely not competitive. I'm just wanting to drive.

The shocks will be KYB gas adjusts up front and some Monroe-matic heavy duty in the rear (can't find matching KYBs for the rear).
I also have some Monroe-Max heavy duties for the front but am leaning towards the KYBs.....

Tires are street tires.
Sumitomo HTR 200 in 205/60-13 size. On stock steel GT wheels.
I have these on the 215 powered '72 and really like them for street tires. Since it's definitely a back burner project, I'll swap tires with it.
As I said, I'm not gonna be competitive... just playing with the Vega and having fun.

I don't want to compromise the daily driver comfort but will consider performance upgrades such as brakes, anti-sway bar, shock upgrades as they become available.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby monzamess » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:40 pm

All stock Vegas (including Cosworths) are in H Stock, which includes mostly econoboxes. All Camaros are in AS, FS, or GS except those few still running with an inline 4 or inline 6. Last time I checked, the Mini Cooper was cleaning up in HS.

I think you have the right attitude--go and have fun. You'll learn a lot and with a couple of mods (tires!), maybe you can be competitive locally. To truly be nationally competitive takes a fair amount of money--plus skill of course--even at this level.
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby bugdewde » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Yes.... there are a few Mini Coopers in HS here :( .

Here's a link to some video of the AX.... 9 all wet. Noah's Arkacross :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/joshnovolscom

This lot is not flat.... elevation change in inevitable in East Tn. It's at a local community college. Due to the rain, the runs are quite slow.... but there's some slidin' to make up for the slow runs.

Here's a link to some pics of the day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97521452@N ... 932307061/

There was a sort of celebrity at the AX..... Randy Probst.
From a post on etrscca forum:

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:38 pm Post subject: Randy Pobst!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So hopefully I wasn't the only one who noticed that on Sunday we were racing with a legend! Thats right the 2 time Daytona 24 winner, 2007 speed world champ, and 7 other championship wins, Randy Pobst was autocrossing a mazdaspeed 6. Sure I missed my last run do to lightning but I met up with Mr. Pobst at the gas station and he was kind enough to take a picture with me and give me an autograph picture of his new APR Golf...so the rain my have sucked but to me yesterday was the be autox I have ever been to. I mean I walked the Track with F'in RANDY POBST!
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby rpoz-29 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:27 pm

Dwight, the best class for you run your Vega is probably going to be STS. That's a class on street tires with a rating of 140 or higher. The Kumho's, and Hoosier's I've run on have had a rating as low as "0" and as high as 40. They're great at autocross, but don't fare too well on the street. The HEI and the 5 speed will take you out of stock anyway. In STS you are allowed to lower the car, run a header, etc. You should be able to download the rulebook from the SCCA website. I ran my Vega in H/S until the NA Mini's were dropped from G to H, but the H/S killer around here is an Acura RSX.
rpoz-29

Postby rpoz-29 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 pm

Another plus for STS is being able to use larger diameter wheels. Not much available in "purpose built", (>140 tread wear rating), street tires in 13". Try a little experimenting with your shocks. I tried KYB hp gas shocks on the front of mine and it actually raised the car a bit. This makes sense as the same shock fits a Vega or a V-8 Monza. I found that a set of std hydraulic shocks worked better for me, and didn't alter my alignment settings. I ran Koni SA's on the car for a while until I broke one. The KYB's worked great on the rear, and are still on it.
rpoz-29

Postby bill1978v8 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:05 pm

Dwight,

Run it stock then run it modified. I'd like to know how much better the times would be with the mods.

Bill
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rpoz-29 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:56 pm

I agree. I only suggested STS because Dwight wouldn't be competing against against competitors on "R" compound tires. Plus, by the letter of the rule, the HEI alone takes the car out of stock. The biggest trouble I had when my Vega was factory stock was wheel hop.
rpoz-29

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:28 pm

Careful, Dwight, it's addictive!! I had lots of fun high-speed autocrossing my Vega. I got to the point that I was concerned about crashing a car that I couldn't readily get parts for, and really wasn't competitive in the class I was in because of all the modifications in a V8 Vega. So... I bought a Corvette!

It's the most fun you'll have with your clothes on!

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby bugdewde » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Ah man, that's beautiful..... tell about that car's setup.... Braking, I assume?

As for the classing...... STS sounds about right. Allows mods but not all out special built cars. Of course, I can always throw the stock points-type dizzy from the parts car on if I want to try and get into H/S. :lol: I doubt anyone would notice the 5-speed unless I actually started beating people. Ha ha ha ha.......
I don't really care what class they throw me in. All I want to do is get a Vega on course! I'm gonna go novice this year just to get the hang of it.

The midnight shift killed me last night. I just got in from taking care of some business, and meeting my 80-year-old mother for lunch (I rarely get to do that during the week). I can barely hold my eyes open to type..... gotta scan over the h-body.org before letting go for the afternoon.
Hope the guy I was filling in for gets better... otherwise, I gotta go back in this evening.

Thanks for the pic.... off to dream land.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby rpoz-29 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm

I feel your pain. I worked shifts from 1974 until 1999. On a set of AX tires, (Kumho 710's, Hoosier A6's), you will be amazed at how well your car handles. Staying in a novice class is smart. We use the PAX index to determine class positions in our novice class. That allows competitors to watch their improvement against other novices. If your club offers an autocross driving school, take that too. We have one coming up in April, but it's a bit far for you!
Last edited by rpoz-29 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpoz-29

Postby bugdewde » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Yeah, we have a school coming up soon. No date yet but I definitely want to be included. The last two schools were highly praised on the forum and it includes a few of the instructors to actually drive your car and give you an idea of what times can be reached if you listen to them.

I'm thinking of getting some aluminum wheels (4 on 4") so I won't have to remove the center caps and beauty rings on the ralleys every time. Thinking of some period Ansen slots or something similar. Would love to find a torque-thrust type 4-spoke wheel for the 4 on 4" pattern........ Then I could gets some AX tires!

Found some 7" Slots for the rear on ebay..... currently losing the auction. :x
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Dwight,

That photo was taken at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, braking hard into Turn 1, after a 1000' straight. Blackhawk is a 1.9 mile track.

The Vega has tubular upper control arms on front and rear (see my Garage), Addco 1-1/8" front and 1" rear sway bars, Monza 4-cylinder springs (deep pocket), cut 1 coil. I think I had the Cosworth rear springs on it at that time. Center Line Billet Star wheels, 17x7 front, 17x8 rear, with Kumho ECSTA 712 tires, 215/40-17 front and 245/40-17 rear.

The automatic trans really isn't as well suited for open track racing, though. There were a few times I clicked it down a gear a little soon and did some tail-waggin' in the corner.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rpoz-29 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Dwight, if you run under SCCA rules, check the rulebook before you do almost anything. Like many sanctioning bodies, if they don't say you can, you can't. I ran the Vega lowered, with the header and Goodyear slicks many years ago. I then went to street tires. I put stock springs back on the car in the early 80's when we started running under SCCA rules. The best setup I ran on under stock rules were 185/60/13 Yokohama A008RS II on Cosworth wheels, 1 1/16 front bar, and a stock rear bar, 3.36 gear. The alignment I ran was 2 degrees negative camber and 1/8" toe out. I had a set of heavy duty hydraulic shocks on the front, and KYB Gas-a-just HP gas on the rear. I also had a turbo type muffler, and an Accel 50,000 volt Super Coil. I managed to give one nationally competitive driver so much trouble, he protested me because, "I should be beating that damn Vega by more that 3/10's of a second!". It didn't hold up.
rpoz-29

Next

Return to Road Racing and AutoX