Mr. Gasket Thermostat_Made in China

Post reviews of H-body products here. UNBIASED REVIEWS ONLY. NO ADS.

Mr. Gasket Thermostat_Made in China

Postby SunbirdMan » Fri May 02, 2008 4:09 pm

I decided to pick up Mr. Gasket thermostat for my van in preparation of a long trip. Looked at the package and was made in China. I placed it in a pot of water and brought it to a vigorous boil for several minutes and it barely opened an eighth inch. I made a close visual inspection. I'm disappointed with the quality of manufacture. Here's some pics to share.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby v8astregt » Sat May 03, 2008 1:16 am

Well that sucks. Maybe that's why I was still overheating before when I installed one of those? Don't matter now, I don't have a thermostat in there anymore.

So boiling huh? So that was at least 212* then. That ain't right.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby TopNX75 » Sat May 03, 2008 7:10 am

I'm not a Mr Gasket anything fan.
There are many Moroso parts that are junk right out of the package too..

just my .02
Sean
TopNX75

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby heinz057 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:34 am

mr gasket is owned buy kem now. check out moto rad t stats they have one called fail safe if it fails it fails open . i got mine at my local autozone
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby v8astregt » Sat May 03, 2008 1:44 pm

I've got a 160* thermostat around here... I should try that one in some boiling water.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Re: Mr. Gasket Thermostat_Made in China

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun May 25, 2008 9:44 am

Here's another example on this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23829
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

Re: Mr. Gasket Thermostat_Made in China

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:52 am

i didn't learn my lesson. i've owned a ford van (different van than original post)for a few years that has always run hot. it could go for hours without hitting critical mass unless it was really scorching outside. i don't use it that much so i didn't address the problem for awhile. i replced the fan and clutch with a mark viii electric and that made no difference. finally i decided to replace the waterpump and thermostat. i got a gmb high flow and a mr gasket thermostat (i know, but i really like the balanced flow design) i pulled the old stuff out to discover it had an ordinary gmb waterpump (but the bearing was a little noisy) and the exact same mr gasket thermostat i had for replacement. so i replaced them. now the van really overheated. i figured it was the pump or the thermostat. i decided to replace the thermostat again. this time i got a ford motorcraft made in usa (the kind ford puts in their cars). it still pegged out the gauge. now what? it was still acting like a bad thermostat so I gutted the old thermostat and put it in for a restricter. for the first time since i owned it the van runs cool. the needle stays on the "n" on "normal". i'm not the kind of guy who likes running no thermostat espescially on a computer fuel injected car but i don't trust any brand anymore. but i definitely will never buy anything that says mr gasket on it.
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

Return to Product Reviews