T56 Retrofit Transmission

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby TimMcCabe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Larry,

I would recommend to make a reinforcement plate or support bracket for the firewall where the hydraulic clutch master mounts.

The cable pulls in on the firewall, but the hydraulics push outwards

My firewall flexed out so much when I first tried the clutch, I thought the bolts would rip out of the metal. I modified a Camaro support bracket that is bolted to the left inner fender for support.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Cheers,

Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby vega_man_larry » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Tim,

That is one of the nice things about using Corvette pieces instead of Camaro ones. The Master cylinder for the clutch will be attached to the pedal bracketry and not the firewall. As soon as I finish my Honey-Do list (spring yard trimming in the Tropics is a BIG chore) I will finish the pedal bracket and try to get a photo posted.

I have an LT1 Camaro flywheel on order ($85). As soon as it arrives it goes to the machine shop for the necessary 0.090 maching of the face surface. I don't think I have time to do the swap before Temple - but I may have all the pieces collected by then.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:30 pm

vega_man_larry wrote:Tim,

That is one of the nice things about using Corvette pieces instead of Camaro ones. The Master cylinder for the clutch will be attached to the pedal bracketry and not the firewall.
Is the master cylinder inside or do the brackets go through the firewall?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Hydraulic Clutch Master and speedometer drive

Postby vega_man_larry » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:29 pm

For clutch master cylinder installation look at this picture http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/displ ... oryid=X735

I have obtained the bracketry that the pedal hangs from and I am incorporating it into the H Body pedal bracketry. You can see where the mount for the Clutch Master Cylinder is located. Hopefully this picture and my earlier discussion on this subject will clear up any questions.

I have also learned a very valuable bit of information for hooking up the speedometer. The ZF 6 speed uses the same Vehicle Speed Sensor that the 700R4 uses. A unique part was created for the 1990 thru 1992 Caprice Police car. To run the radar they had a cable output along with the electronic output. This part also fits the ZF 6 speed. I can drive the Vega speedo MECHANICALLY from the ZF 6 speed. Here is the part that does it! http://www.tpiparts.net/inc/sdetail/2103

$75 dollars gets me a speedo hookup! Here is where the ZF 6 speed swap is again looking better than the T56. I'm using the larger teeth (40 - 45) range of gears. Corvette America sells all the driven gears and I'll probably need the 45 tooth gear with the rear gears and wheels that are now on my car.

Another thing to consider is that the ZF 6 speed has the shifter on the left side of the transmission. The T56 has it aligned with the centerline of the transmission. The ZF shifter should miss the emergency brake handle as it will be located to the left side of the transmission and not behind the shifter like it would be if I had used a T56.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Just made a deal on a used Dual Mass Flywheel

Postby vega_man_larry » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 pm

The LTX Corvette series engines use a unique flywheel. Well a guy with a GS in the Carolinas is selling me a used ZF flywheel for $50.00. The flywheel is heavy as shipping is $41 :shock: So I won't be running the LT1 Camaro flywheel after all. I have read where using the single mass flywheel will result in gear noise at idle. The dual mass unit absorbs the noise. This means I can run a Valeo clutch pressure plate and release bearing and buy a "stock" replacement setuip, saving me over $100 on a clutch kit. I also avoid the machining cost of machining the LT1 Camaro Flywheel. I'll be into the whole shebang for about $375 (including shipping)which is less than the Clutch Kit from Carolina Clutch. I've put this whole tranny deal together for around $1200. And I have my auto tranny sold for $1000 so I invest some time and $200 and get 6 gears. Not a bad deal at all.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Re: Just made a deal on a used Dual Mass Flywheel

Postby greg72 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:50 am

vega_man_larry wrote:.......... I've put this whole tranny deal together for around $1200. And I have my auto tranny sold for $1000 so I invest some time and $200 and get 6 gears. Not a bad deal at all.

Larry

We have a winner for the " Understatement of the Year Award"!
:lol:

SWEET deal!!!!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

More notes

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu May 01, 2008 8:15 pm

I just got the NOS Police Speed Sensor A/C Delco P/N 10456132. It is exactly what I need. So I keep my mechanical speedo. Apparently the part is no longer being manufactured but there area few sources left for it such as TPI Parts.

I hadn't heard from the salvage yard on the LT1 flywheel. I called and the flywheel they thought they had in SA wasn't on the car (the computer system data was bad). They offered me a flywheel in Iowa at $185. I took the refund, as I have a dual mass unit enroute. If anyone following this thread decides to do it this way I recommend getting an AutoZone Flywheel for $160 eating the core ($100) and having it machined or checking ebay and Corvette Forum and hoping to get lucky like I did.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby spyder_xlch » Thu May 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Police Speed Sensor at NAPA part# VSS235. $68.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Found a source for the transmission plug

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu May 08, 2008 5:19 am

I located a source for the CAGS plug. I got my M20-1.5 hex head plug at O'Reillys for $2.29. It is an Oil-Tite P/N 65221. A blister pack part hanging on the display board. I found a few sources on the internet but nothing this inexpensive. I'm now waiting for all the parts ordered to arrive. I have a Vendor in Florida I need to call today on a backordered part - probably for my '96. I'm rebuilding the half shafts and installing new wheel bearings. I'm also picking up a used dust shield for the bellhousing on the Vega 6 speed (they are no longer available new).

Larry
vega_man_larry

Re: T56 Retrofit Transmission

Postby vega_man_larry » Fri May 09, 2008 9:16 pm

My Valeo clutch kit arrived today. I also recieved my '96 Corvette Service Manual. The Vega Service Manual was much cheaper on ebay. I got the Vette one from Helm. I'll use it for specs and procedures when I put everything together. I also found a NOS Hurst shifter kit for the ZF 6 speed. They are no longer made because B&M (they bought out Hurst) now only builds the house brand in C4 shifters. Once all the NOS Hurst units have been bought, they will be gone. I also got a white shifter knob from ebay. I'm putting the stock shifter knob on my Corvette. I found out that I have a Hurst universal knob on it right now. I'll use the white knob on the Vega.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby vega_man_larry » Sun May 11, 2008 9:06 pm

I installed the plug listed in this thread where the CAGS solenoid was. It fits well and the gasket with the plug seals it off nicely. I spent time cleaning the transmission externally. I have more parts arriving this coming week. After the Temple Meet I'll tear down the Vega for the swap. I've just about got all the parts. My dual mass flywheel is on the road UPS. The good thing about using the ZF is the data on Corvette Forum is very good.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby monzaaddict » Tue May 13, 2008 2:15 pm

this is another option for a bellhousing and hydraulic throwout which should fit better than a scattershield. not sfi approved - but definitely offers more protection than a factory bellhousing.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?

form_prod_id=862,192,45,363_4163&action=producthttp://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_cat_id=867,192,45,363&action=category
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Tue May 13, 2008 2:16 pm

not sure why the link didn't work but just look under clutch then sonic.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Tue May 13, 2008 2:27 pm

If possible, I would like to see photos of the clutch pedal mods for the hydraulic setup - monzaaddict@lycos dot com or post here.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby vega_man_larry » Wed May 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Once i get the pedal assembly done Ill try to get pictures. I bought a tropical garden when I moved to South Texas. It is a high maintenance deal. I have more pigmy palms (10) than anyone on my street. I also have 3 other variety of palms, 2 mesquite trees and 3 flowering hybiscuc trees. Not to mention flowers and bushes and a southern pine. I have probably 3 weekends left in the yard. Then the meet at Temple and then I'll get serious on the tranny swap. My dual mass flywheel arrives today (per the tracking system). i have a few more parts scattered about the country enroute and I have some maintenance to do on the Vette. I'd take a week of vacation but I'm hoarding it all trying to get to the use or loose state. I'll get there though.

Larry

p.s. I get to rake my yard at least twice a week.
vega_man_larry

PreviousNext

Return to Best Of