Rear Mounts Specifically The Uppers ?

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rear Mounts Specifically The Uppers ?

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:20 am

Here is my solution to raising the rear of the UCA.

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gt350fme » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:52 pm

NICE WORK Chuck! Do you have any additional UCA adapter pictures ? Everyone Im sure would appreciate a few, Thanks Much
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Sorry, I thought I had some more in the computer at home, but I don't.

They're made out of some 2"x2" square tubing, with some 3/4" OD (I think) tubing for the bolt to go through. I welded a plate on the bottom for a retaining bolt. As you can see, I have some tubular upper control arms with rod ends.

Pretty much stopped the wheelhop.

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 70styleVega » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:58 pm

As I stated earlier I like how Speedphreake keeps the upper control arm mounts from being pulled loose from the unibody by boxing in the innermost side of the upper mount,top and bottom.

The other day i was under the car and got an idea.... I think it's possible to not only add structural support to the other side of the mount by welding a 1/8-3/16 plate to it, I also think the plate can be tied to sub frame connectors (running under the doors) without too much effort.
Much of the load would be transferred from pulling on the unibody, to pulling on the subframe connectors.

It might be time to break out the cardboard again and see what happens. Before I assume, has anyone done anything similar? Got photos?
70styleVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 70styleVega » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:59 pm

I revisited reinforcing the upper control arm mount. I give props to Peter Pan: this is his photo that I marked up. Thanks for the clean shot.

This is a 2 piece bracket (with the top welded to the bump stop mount and the bottom just above the lower control arms) made out of 3/16 - 1/4 inch plate steel.
Cardboard could be used to figure out the contour, and with continuous seams on each side from top to bottom, the UCA mount would be much harder to pull loose.

Obviously the bump stop will not be used, so interference will not be a problem. Drag bags will have to be used to "tune" the squat.

Also, the bottom edge could be tied to subframe connectors (ran under the doors) if they extended that far to rear, similar to NixVegaGT's car.
Or
Add another plate and tie into those 2 studs inside the lower control arm mount.

This might turn into a cheap and easy fix, much less complicated than I first thought.... any ideas or comments? You guys have been at this longer than me.
70styleVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Roccosvega » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:29 pm

I like the gusset brace on the right side. I think I will use that Idea but put one below the bolt hole too.
Robert.
Roccosvega

Postby 70styleVega » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Good suggestion. That would "box" the upper control arm bolt with weld seams. (Just what a torque motor needs).
70styleVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 72 SS PNL » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:10 am

think i would box the inner 1 on the top , and maybe box the lower with room to get a wrench and nut in
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby speedphreake » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18 am

I boxed the upper and lower part of the inners on mine. The I drilled a hole through the sheetmetel to gain acces to the nut from behind the seat. Only have to remove the lower part of the rear seat to get to thm if you need too, but once the car is finished, you really shouldn't have a need too.
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 70styleVega » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:42 pm

I saw photos of those mods.... excellent idea. Because of the location, I don't know if there is much more you can do to reinforce the inside flange. This is what all the mods look like together.
70styleVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Rickracer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Years ago, I had a roughly 600 horse 427/TH400/narrowed 12 bolt in my 73 Hatchback, using round tube upper arms and square tube lowers that I built, added bracing to the factory mounts just like in the pics above, but enlarged the bolts to 1/2" grade 8s with nice thick fender washers. The car would run a [b]severely[/b] traction limited 11.50 in street trim, and would run mid to high 9s slicked, uncapped and with the juice on. Never had any problems with the suspension mounts. I did add on to the upper arm mounts on the rear axle for some I.C adjustment.
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby T-FATTY » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:49 am

Just reading a blast from the past, is rustorbust still around?
T-FATTY

Previous

Return to Best Of