MADE IT TO THE TRACK,,THE LAST TEST/TUNE DAY

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MADE IT TO THE TRACK,,THE LAST TEST/TUNE DAY

Postby TopNX75 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:19 pm

The t-brake will leave harder than the foot brake all day long.

While I have never run nitrous in the Vega, T-brake 60' and foot brake 60' are very different animals in my car. Making the suspension work as well on the foot brake is a challenge, especially when the track is marginal because hitting the tires hard enough is also an important part of making a car hook (transfer). Also, you simply can't hold a car with the foot brake as high on the converter as you can with a t-brake (even with a 2 step)....

Just food for thought from a t-brake fan....

Heres a pic from a couple weeks ago, trans brake leave of course...

Sean

TopNX75

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Im sorry but any car with tires that big doesnt need to worry about making suspension work. Lol ^^^^

My Chevelle pulls 1.2 60' off the footbrake on motor. I do not bring the rpms up and load the converter I leave off idle and let the converter flash. Its also a humoungus tire car with a 4 link
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby TopNX75 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm

hmm,,

If you don't have to make a suspension work to leave the line, share with us why you have a 4 link?

1.2's are phenomenal for a car that big, but if you are going that fast in a big car, you KNOW it's ALL about the suspension working..

The biggest tire in the world is worth nothing if you can't put it to the ground, evenly and appropriately.....

Why would you post something so misleading in this thread?

Sean
TopNX75

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rustorbust » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Hey fasterthansome, what kind of stall do you have in your car?
rustorbust

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:44 pm

TopNX75 wrote:hmm,,

If you don't have to make a suspension work to leave the line, share with us why you have a 4 link?

1.2's are phenomenal for a car that big, but if you are going that fast in a big car, you KNOW it's ALL about the suspension working..

The biggest tire in the world is worth nothing if you can't put it to the ground, evenly and appropriately.....

Why would you post something so misleading in this thread?

Sean

The reason I have a 4 link car?
I got a great deal on a unfinished project that allready had the backhalf done with 4 link mounts. The car weighs 3100 so its not that heavy.
If I had it my way it would be stcok style suspenaion with a 28x10.5
I am not making misleading statements.
The bigger the tire is the easier it is to hook.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby TopNX75 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Fasterthansome wrote:Im sorry but any car with tires that big doesnt need to worry about making suspension work. Lol ^^^^

I meant this misleading information....
TopNX75

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:52 pm

TopNX75 wrote:
Fasterthansome wrote:Im sorry but any car with tires that big doesnt need to worry about making suspension work. Lol ^^^^

I meant this misleading information....

My opinion is based on racing a hardtail dragster that pulls 1.06-1.09 60's with a big tire and no suspension. Its also based on running max comp and rebound settings on rear shocks on big tire cars and they still hook.
I dont mean to offend any huge tire fans, but the way I see it is anyone can get a big tire to hook.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby TopNX75 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 pm

it's all good.

We can disagree on this one. I respect your opinion as it appears you have much racing experience with all these different vehicles you have referred to.

Because you are a drag racer of so many cars and a rail, you know that the hardtail only hooks because of design and you would never see those 60ft times with your hardtail if you WEREN'T using a transbrake!

If you ever solid mounted an axle in a door car (like the one in your hardtail), I am CERTAIN you know it would never hook regardless of how big the tires are!

You know from being at the track that even cars with big tires can experience tire spin, wheel hop, pull, fold or excessive lift. These are all related to i-c, preload adjustments and proper transfer.

My initial post wasn't intended to say anyone was doing it "wrong", rather to add that leaving harder on the t-brake works best for me...

Sean
TopNX75

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rustorbust » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Stall? LOL
rustorbust

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Starfire has a 9" converter that stalls about 5200 on spray. Midwest converter.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby rustorbust » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:14 am

I cant get the converter in the car now to go anything above 3500, you think it would be worth it or would help to put...say a 4500 or so in it?
rustorbust

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Fasterthansome » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:48 pm

It would depend on a few things but cam specs would be the first to tell you if it would help. What rpm do you shift at?
I never load the converter by holding the brakes and try to get max rpms at the line.
That takes the flash stall out of it. I usually leave just a bit above a good clean idle.

A converter matched to the combo can make a big difference.
Also different converters can have different multiplication rates and slip %
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby 2lucke4u » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 pm

Hey guys
been watching the posts and have decided my direction for next season,install line lock,out with the 3600 stall and in with the 4400,I think the drag shocks on the car are the wrong size with the overall length too long which is why my wheels can drop so much,i'm going back to stock shocks in the front,air bags in rear to 15lbs presure,remount the drag tires and screw them to the rims,on the juice ,from 73 squared nos jets to 93 squared,15lbs air in both slicks,i have not used the transbrake off the line as of yet,I think it bangs way harder than hitting the bottle off the line,this car has a habit of leaving level just skipping the front wheels through the 60ft mark,i don't want to expend energy bringing the wheels up i would rather go forward ,best et so far 10.50,i only want to get down to 10.10 due to safety issues,,ie full cage,fire suppession,license,ect... anyone have comments or concerns on my direction,,speak now before i get started,,any help would be great,,
Charles
Last edited by 2lucke4u on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
74 GTO 350 4bbl,3sp,3.08 posi,buccaneer red
68 Firebird 400, 4sp,3.08 posi,black
2lucke4u

1978 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby Fasterthansome » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:47 pm

The front shock situation has me confused. My upper A arm hits and stops my front end travel.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby 2lucke4u » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Faster
you could be right,but could I be missing something??what is it exactly that stops it from dropping?if it is rubber stoppers ,,there are none on the front that I see,where would they be located,,I may be chasing rabbits here and its nothing,,DO THE SHOCKS LIMIT TRAVEL IN ANY WAY AS FAR ARE DROPPING OUT??
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
74 GTO 350 4bbl,3sp,3.08 posi,buccaneer red
68 Firebird 400, 4sp,3.08 posi,black
2lucke4u

1978 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

PreviousNext

Return to Drag Racing