Shimming starter help needed

Moderator: Moderators

Shimming starter help needed

Postby T-FATTY » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:36 pm

I just bought a starter [stock replacement], my question is how to get the the starter gear out to measure gap between it and flywheel? In the supplied instructions it says insert a small screw driver in the slot on bottom of nose and pull/push out the gear but this doesn't work. What am i doing wrong and how do i get in out to measure/check gap?
Thanks, Todd.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Re: Shimming starter help needed

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Not sure if you have a manual or auto trans, but on my manual trans car I did it with the inspection cover off the bottom of the bellhousing. You should be able to slide the gear out towards the flywheel/flexplate. Not sure why you can't engage it manually unless maybe it is hitting the flywheel and can't physically move out any further without shimming. ( This is a big reason why it must be checked) Once you figure out how to engage the two gears then you can simply get a standard paper clip and bend the end 90 degrees and use that as your gauge. You should be able to insert it between the high point of the starter gear and the valley or low point on the flywheel. You are basically trying to make sure there is a small amount of clearance between the gears so they can engage without being too tight or having too much distance between the teeth which could result in a chipped tooth. I do remember having difficulty manually disengaging the gears because of the taper on them. If you simply loosen the starter it should retract back into the starter nose. If you are still having trouble pull the starter back off and experiment pulling the gear back and forth off the car, at least you will be able to see how it works and make sure nothing is stuck.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby T-FATTY » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Even off the car it's hard/impossible to pull out the starter gear, is there a way to get it out other than pulling on gear?
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:29 pm

I am thinking of a way,,Not the Best but Faster than some,,, :dance:
On Auto trans
Starter off car;
:arrow: By Removing Starter Solenoid and Return spring assembly, will help,,before you temporaly mount the starter,, for clearance
but even then it is a tight place to get your hand onto the plunger that slides into the solenoid,,and manipulate the sliding gear,,With a small piece of mechanic's wire,,,It could be atached to plunger,,,

And after you figure which shim to use remove starter and replace Return Spring ,,, Solenoid and Wire's,,
Mike Got shimm's???
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby AusRs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:46 am

i did mine with a positive wire connected to the solenoid and a battery under the car with an earth .worked well
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 pm

Aus's that is a great idea,,
That beat's,,,
having some one above,
in the driverseat turning the key,,
and bumping while ditributor is disconected,

and taking hide off your fingers while you shout,STOP,#@*&%@,M' y F 'riend!
Mike
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 pm

On the end of the starter armature shaft there is a 3 piece lock collar assembly that keeps pinion from wearing on the drive end housing. The outer edge of this collar should have 15 thou clearance to the outer edge of the ring gear.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:34 am

hey zeke how the heck are you. i havent seen your name on the boards for a long time. i still look over your gas tank pickup alteration. what a nice job chevy art
chevyart

Postby zeke » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:37 am

chevyart wrote:hey zeke how the heck are you. i havent seen your name on the boards for a long time. i still look over your gas tank pickup alteration. what a nice job chevy art

thanx chevyart :)
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring