Large 10 bolt 8.5 monza / vega width housings

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Large 10 bolt 8.5 monza / vega width housings

Postby danfigg » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:19 am

Could you bolt something to the spring purch and put a bracket on the floor pan under the right side and make a smaller torque arm such as what the Grand National did. The National used the rear end cover and had some type of torque arm that came to the right side somewhere. The same idea just use the spring purch and bolt maybe a 1X2 tube steel to it and then have a mount under the floor pan and bolt the 1X2 to that as the swivel point.----------------------danfigg
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby monzaz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 am

I am sure there are MANY ways to get the job done. I always look for the stock or close to stock way as it will sell more units. When people get too much custom work they tend to shy away from trying something. You have to make it cost effective and easy for your customer. This is always the hurdle.

As for me installing it ...I can fab it anyway I want. Have a mig welder and your can mount stuff anywhere ....LOL. Jim
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby monzaz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 am

This is way I said I can build the housing pretty cheap and you can install however you see fit. Ok? Jim
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby chevyart » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 pm

hey monzqazive read every article ever written about the 10 bolts and the authors always said the were within a few percentage points as being as strong as the 12 bolts. with aftewrmarket axles and a good center section, mand maybe even a good rear cover, they are just as strong. i have seen alot of good low 10 second drag cars running 1o bolt rears. keep up the good work chevy art
chevyart

Postby monzaz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm

It is had to convince people they do not need a 12 bolt for the street and some drag racing. Like I always say it is mostly the set-up of the rear not the number of bolts...lol.
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby Fasterthansome » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:41 pm

Look at the pinion shaft diameter most are listed on jegs or summit and the diameter of the ring gear vs how many teeth (tooth thickness)
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby monzaz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:13 pm

yAH ... But they always hear HEAR!!! 10 bolt and right away it gets a bad rap.... ???

NOT all 10 bolts are created equal that is for sure. PLUS why would GM keep a rear around for over 35 year almost 40 if this was not a great designed rear that did the job...for cars and trucks.

NO other rear has been run longer maybe the dana 60

Even your famous FORD 9" is only a 10 bolt rear...??? Right?

The size of the gear does not matter on a car. The larger ring gear was designed to take more heat off the ring gear in truck application and towing...Really did not designate strength of a rear as people think.

The Ford 8.8 is a direct copy of GMs 12 bolt chevy rear with 10 bolts...BUT if you have ever seen one FORD failed again cutting corners the carrier flange does not support the ring gear back side all the way to the outer diameter.
If 9" was such agreat design why is it NOT in exsistance to today?

If you are talking about 9" aftermarket you can see how many improvement had to be made to the rear just to keep up. They even had to use 12 bolt guts in a 9" housing to make it more efficent.

The only advantage I see with the 9" is the 5 bearing and the housing is all steel for ease of fabrication into any car. BUT if your pinion offset is not like a mopar or ford car everything will be off kilter with out actually modifying the left and right axle.

Those are my opinions I guess. Take them or leave them. I prefer to use GM in GM cars. Jim

Have a Geat Holiday!
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby NixVegaGT » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Yeah, Jim. The other really critical part is NObody writes for our car's weight. Our cars are super light. 2600 lbs. on the heavy side. My car is almost 2200 lbs. Slappin' on a big axle on an application that doesn't need it does nothing but REDUCE power output and acceleration times. The best way to go is use the minimum size and strength possible. Better power output and better mileage.

OK why was the 9" discontinued? Probably because it was too expensive to produce. To be fair, it is WAY more axle than most of the cars that used it needed. The other factor is ease of manufacture. It must have assembly line advantages to use an axle setup that isn't Hotchkiss, otherwise we'd still see the 8", and Mopar 8 3/4" too; Both great axles. Toyota and Nissan still use the center section configuration though. Hmmmm.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzaz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Yep you noticed that...toyota uses a drop out ...lol. The stock ford 9" was nothing to right home about with a 1.313 pinion shaft size the 7.5 had a bigger pinion...lol. and even our monza did. IT was the 5th bearing that mad a difference. But that was only side deflrction. 9" had the small pinion diameter that the yoke twisted off and the from bolts would also sometimes sheer from the housing cause a major catastrophy!!

I am telling you if your not using a after market 9" do not bother. Again just an opinion but look at the facts.

The big reason again in the days IN THE DAYS...lol. a weekend racer could switch dads everyday driver into a race machine with the swap of a third member.

Now we have over drive and 6 7 8 speed maunal and auto matic fuel injection etc. all the cars perform really well and most of us will not swap a rear anymore for racing just pic a gear and be done. We have families and jobs etc. lol. The young new crowd has all the technology and turbos NOS blowers that are from the factory and will get great mileage and mostlikely blow our doors off on the street... :)
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby Topgun » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:20 pm

As far as dependability, in the same car that I had a broken 12 bolt in 2 times I decided to install a 10 bolt 8.5 and have NO issues for 6 years. At 3025 pounds without me the car went a 1.46 60 foot at 10;14 with no issues all day on the juice and 10:99 with a 1.51 60 foot. The car had a 468 BBC to punish it all day, with no bearing girdle or aftermarket rear end cap. The diffs are rock solid.
Topgun

Postby monzaz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Yes, that is great. But was the 12 bolt all new stuff or was it used and who set it up. Not to take anything away from the 12 bolt...

Even the ford 9" I am not a fan of will hold alot of power as long as all parts are set up to specs . If someone sets up any rear to so so specs... Then your gonna get SO SO durability out of them too. That goes for engines and transmissions I only use a 350TH also for racing. Jim
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby Topgun » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:38 pm

The 12 bolt WAS all new stuff but ring gears would not holdup. The diff was setup by a well known race shop here that has built engines , diffs and tranny's for people all over the world.
I have had my fair share of problems with even 9 inch's when not using the proper centers , posi's or axles.
It all comes down to the money you spend on them. I guess the arguement here is that the 10 bolt is more affordable and attainable for a few more of the people that need a decent CHEVY diff, thats all.
Topgun

Postby monzaz » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:22 am

I would say so. Even the best of us rear diff and engine and tranny guys goof too. :) Jim
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby 73astregt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 pm

monzaz wrote:Posi 379.00 eaton clutch type unit. or Auburn Cone type unit 399.00 will get you a true trac posi unit. We can do as cheap as mini spool also for 150.00 that includes the open carrier used and the mini spool unit new. All new bearings are 110.00 includes all seal carrier bearings pinion bearings and axle bearings. Gear choices for 159.00 are 3.42 3.73 3.90 4.10 4.56. Anything else will have to check pricing. That covers some of the most popular gears.

NOW remember we can also build this rear with 28 spline rear and reconditioned posi unit much cheaper and it will still be very strong for any light weight monza or vega. 259.00 for the recon unit bearings are always the same and alway NEW along with seals of course. Gears 2.41-3.23 used we have 35-65 in price. 3.42 -4.56 only new used just go very quick when we do get them in. Axle good used 28 spline are 75.00 for the pair . This comes down to a very well price rear diff. like under 1000.00 total.
would you please work me up a quote based on the second paragraph above(reconditioned posi, used 28 spline axles, 3.42 gears,new bearings ,seals, with and without brakes,8.5 diff.) no luck finding 8.5s around here but i did find a claimed new s10 8.5 in michigan for 899.00 buy it now on epay(probably rebuilt) thanks jim! you can email me at wardinto800@sympatico.ca id prefer to deal with you rather than anyone else for a rear if i gotta get one made. fred. ps as i mentioned before i have the brackets so that wont be an issue.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech