what do ya think it will run?

Moderator: Moderators

what do ya think it will run?

Postby 77v6vega » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi, I just purchased my first vega hatchback. It has a stock buick 231 c.i. v6 in it with an auto trans. Im hoping this will be a good starting point for my fiance' to get into drag racing. Im hoping it will run 16s as is in the 1/4 mile.
77v6vega

Re: what do ya think it will run?

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:23 am

I think the stock V6 Skyhawk's were more like in the 17's when they came out. However the Vega is a bit lighter. Either way it should make a good foundation for making improvements in ET. Depends on your goals, what are you shooting for?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby PeerStalkHawk » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:46 pm

That's great that your Vega already has a 231 Buick v6 in it. The Vega would be at least around a couple hundred pounds lighter than a Chevy Monza, Buick Skyhawk, or Pontiac Sunbird even with the Buick v6 in it. A Monza, Skyhawk, and Sunbird with the slightly lighter hatchback body style could get into the 16's with an absolutely stock engine if they had a standard transmission and especially if they also had the slightly better factory rear gearing. With an 231 v6/auto in a car like a Monza, Skyhawk, or Sunbird I would say around 17 seconds in a quarter-mile would be close to what it would do. Some car magazine tests got even slower times than that but had a full gas tank, extra-heavy testing equipment, and sometimes less-aggressive test driving all working against a better time. So having said that, I believe with the stock Buick v6 in the Vega you got, it would run at least high 16's with an auto now with the lighter weight of that car, but it could run much quicker with some really simple tuning and parts swapping. For instance, changing out the torque converter in the transmission to a step or two higher in stall speed and also changing the rear gear to at least a 3.23(with the stock engine) would shave off another 3/4 of a second or more again. Also installing a good four-barrel intake and larger carb with a good flowing exhaust system would be worth another half a second too. Add some sort of cold air induction or ram air set up and get a little more yet. Weight reduction such as lighter wheels and parts also helps. As do better tires for traction too. Then, with some good tuning such as with the ignition timing and etc. you would get close to mid-15's or so. Of course, if the motor wasn't mostly stock and had some more major modifications such as with the cam, compression. and heads, it could run at least around very low 14's or less. And remember, right now with just the stock engine in there, lower rpm torque and horsepower is mostly what you would want to enhance as it won't make much of either at a higher rpm unless you make the changes like a bigger induction(intake and carb), cam, and head and exhaust flow. So, exceeding the engine's useful rpm range would be useless anyway and would actually hurt it's potential. A 231 v6 in a Vega would be fun so enjoy that project. Good luck and let us know how it all goes!............ Dean. :D
Last edited by PeerStalkHawk on Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeerStalkHawk

Postby 77v6vega » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:46 pm

That would be a good start. I dont need it to be too quick yet. Im planning on putting headers, dual exhaust, a better air filter, and an electric fan on for starters.
77v6vega

Postby djv8ga » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:56 pm

77v6vega wrote:Hi, I just purchased my first vega hatchback. It has a stock buick 231 c.i. v6 in it with an auto trans. Im hoping this will be a good starting point for my fiance' to get into drag racing. Im hoping it will run 16s as is in the 1/4 mile.

Odds are that it's using Monza frame plates and engine mounts which means a V8 swap will be a pretty easy if you find a set of V8 plates and buy a set of Bob Gumm (V8Monza.com) mounts...just in case you get bored with the V6. :wink:
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 77v6vega » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:51 pm

I looked up the engine numbers and its actually a 3.2 liter buick. Smaller than i thought. :( Oh well, it still is a peppy car. We are also going to remove the rear seat and put aluminum wheels on it. It feels like it would run a high 16 in the 1/4. My assometer is probably off because im used to running in the 11 and 12 second range.
77v6vega

Postby chevyart » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:36 pm

the quicker you getthat baby out of the hole(60ft times it gives you around 1 1/2 times back in et. do whatever little tricks you can to get the car movinf faster. maybe smaller diameter tires(if thats possible) try a K & N air filter. they really do give you a little more power. probably lots of tricks out there to pick you up for free good luck chevy art
chevyart

Postby 77v6vega » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:48 pm

Like I said, I dont need it to be too fast yet. Just a fun car.
77v6vega

Postby bill1978v8 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm

It sounds like a fun car. Can't wait to see what it runs.

Bill
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 77v6vega » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 pm

We finally made it out to the track. My wife drove. It was her first race so i went to the starting line with her. Anyways it ran a best of 18.5 at 72 mph. 2.6 60'.
She had fun driving. It was a busy night for me though, tuning my friends nitrous car and helping wife. Next step i will take off the o e m muffler and cat converter. And let her go at it again. :D
77v6vega

Return to Drag Racing