SOME PICS OF MY "H's"

Moderator: Moderators

SOME PICS OF MY "H's"

Postby Stivan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 am

I was browsing through some old CD's. . . and found some pics of "yesteryear". . . .

If you've got some. . .why not add them. . . .. .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just Another Street Legal(All Motor) 9 sec. Monza.
Stivan

Re: SOME PICS OF MY "H's"

Postby Fastmax32168 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Hmmmm....I am not sure 2005 is really "back in the day". All of my back in the day Monza pictures are from like 1978, and are on polaroids. :shock:
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby 2lucke4u » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 am

Stivan
Nice pictures,,I noticed your car launches like mine does,,drops hard on the pass rear tire and pulls the drivers side front tire in the air,,I will have it sorted out in the spring and have it leaving level,will try air bags at 10lbs on drivers/15 on pass rear,raise the lca 1.5 inches,put limiters on front to catch the wheels from dropping full arc,this should get something done,,what 60ft times you running,do you use a trans brake?I have one but have never used it,,they say its good for a few tenths,,I leave by foot-brake at about 2800 then floor it,best so far is 1.43,do you think the transbrake will improve that? remember,,, I'm running a 10 inch tire,,15lbs both sides,,
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
74 GTO 350 4bbl,3sp,3.08 posi,buccaneer red
68 Firebird 400, 4sp,3.08 posi,black
2lucke4u

1978 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby Stivan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:06 am

2lucke4u wrote:Stivan
Nice pictures,,I noticed your car launches like mine does,,drops hard on the pass rear tire and pulls the drivers side front tire in the air,,I will have it sorted out in the spring and have it leaving level,will try air bags at 10lbs on drivers/15 on pass rear,raise the lca 1.5 inches,put limiters on front to catch the wheels from dropping full arc,this should get something done,,what 60ft times you running,do you use a trans brake?I have one but have never used it,,they say its good for a few tenths,,I leave by foot-brake at about 2800 then floor it,best so far is 1.43,do you think the transbrake will improve that? remember,,, I'm running a 10 inch tire,,15lbs both sides,,
Charles

Sounds to me like you've got it going right man. . . . and your heading in the right direction. Since these pics were taken, I've installed a Comp Engrg "Anti-Roll" bar on the rear. I set it 2.5 turns up(pre-load) on the pass. side, and 1.5 down(unload) on the driver side, and it leveled everything out perfectly. You might try one of these, if your other methods don't give you what you're looking for. I just about had to do this, cause I was starting to twist things up pretty good on the right rear. . . . . Yes, I use a trans brake. In my particular set up, I've seen as much as .3 quicker ET over foot brake. . .. You probably already know this, but if you put the car in low gear, hit the trans brake, and floorboard it, it will show you what your stall on the convertor is.. . . Whatever that figure is. . . you need to keep your launch RPM's at least 200 rpm under this figure. If you two step it at the same stall rpm, or above, you stand a good chance of "ballooning" your convertor. . . . Also, the farther down from your stall rpm that you launch at, you'll "smack" the tires harder too. . ..

Say you check your stall on the convertor, and it's 4200. . . set your launch rpm to 4000 or lower. . . . if you set your lauch rpm to, let's say, 2500 rpm, you'll hit the tires harder, when you come off of it. On my set up, I stall at 5000. . . I usually set my two step to 4800.. . . If I want to pull a horrendus wheely. . . . I'll set it to about 2500. . . . just remember this, when your wheels are going "up". . .in the air. .. . you're "not" going forward . . down the track !!!

Stivan
Stivan

Postby 2lucke4u » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:34 am

Stivan[/quote]
when your wheels are going "up". . .in the air. .. . you're "not" going forward . . down the track !!!

Stivan
Thanks for the trransbrake info,I will put it to good use first time out this spring,I have tried to make your last point on this board to no avail,,my quest is to go straight out/level and forward,I would like to see my 60ft time in the mid-upper 1.3's,I'm getting there,,if you check out the video I posted you will see the front wheels skipping through the 60ft mark,,when i address the twisted launch this spring I will go to the transbrake knowing I'm not going to hit the wall stage right,,you know what I'm saying,,great car,great info,,thanks
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
2lucke4u

Postby Stivan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 am

Yeah. . . I know something about "Wall - Stage Left". . .. . Four yrs ago, they had a jet car making a couple of passes for the spectators. He used the left lane. i never gave it any concern. I was second in line, in the staging lanes. My bosom pal was in front of me, with a 11.0 Mustang. . .. After the jet car made his pass, instead of sending some lower classes down first, to kinda "clear" the track, they sent us "hot dogs" . . .of sorts, right behind him. We were running Brkts, and I was dialed in at 9.70. . ..Bruce, my friend, left on his light, and as I was pulling into the burn-out box. While I was setting my line lock, I noticed that Bruce made a move to the right a little, about the 330' mark. I thought to myself . ."What the hell was that"???? Never ever entered my mind that there could be something going on. . . . I left pretty good on my light. . . ..a little before the 1/8th, just as I was going to Hi in the glide, the rear end made a slight move to the left, just as I shifted. . . ..then it came around to the right, even to the 90 degree mark, just as the torque hit in high gear. . . It whipped so suddenly, I didn't even have time to hit the brakes, and it didn't scuff of any speed either. I smacked the wall, about 30' past the 1/8th. It hit hard enough to drive the whole front clip back 14" into the front of the motor.

I'm here to tell you, that "tight" belts will stretch 6" . . . and my body stretched another 6". . . I didn't have any "padding" in the seat, and it slammed my "poop chute" back into the seat so hard, that it really bruised my hinney bone pretty bad. . . . . I couldn't hardly "wipe" for two weeks after.<grin>

A friend brought me the time slip, and I still have it today in my scrap book. . . . . I didn't finish the 1/4, but there it was on the time slip. . .. 6.32 @ 108mph.
So I hit the wall at 100+. . . When we finally got the car loaded on the trailer, I was tying it down, and noticed the whole undercarraige was covered with a light coat of oil and sand. . . .. "What the heck is this"??? I thought. . .. then we all realized what it was. . . . It was Jet fuel and sand. . . .. Where in world did the sand come from ??? we all thought. . . Then one of the track helpers, who helped me load it, said that on the previous day's races(Sat.), that the wind blew around 40mph all afternoon. When they prepped the track for Sun. they swept the sand against the wall. So we all presumed later, that when the Jet Car made his pass, he not only left a lot of jet fuel residue, but the "vortec" of his pass, must have pulled a lot of sand back onto the track too. . ..

I know this was "lengthy". . . . but wanted to advise you and all who took the time to read it, to "NOT" follow a Jet Car, right after he makes his exhibition pass. . .. . Oh Yeah !! The marks I left on the wall are "still" on the wall even yet today . . . . AND. . .my seat has "plenty" of padding now days. . .

Stivan
Stivan

Postby gerbsinmd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:55 am

The other thing to keep in mind is that, you don't need to be driving a 9 sec car to have to worry about stuff on the track. Years ago, I was drag racing at Union Grove in the finals, my dads car was a low 14 sec car, a sprinkle moved across the top end of the track, the crew didn't realize that it went across. When my car hit high gear, I got real loose and went from the center of my lane to the left and right, using the whole lane to keep it going, finally had to lift. My buddy came up behind me in a 10 sec car and he ended up in my lane. The track crew asked me what happened, and I said a sprinkle.... We ended up quiting for the day as the real rain was rapidly approaching.

Bottom line is when you are "on it" that hard, it doesn't take a super fast car to get in trouble, even with street tires.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby 2lucke4u » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 pm

stivan
Wild story,great learning experience,,your here to race another day,,we can all learn a little from your posts,,my belts will be tighter and but neatly padded,,lol,

gerbsinmd
Union Grove?? thats in my race zone,,race at these tracks,Da Grove,Earlville,Byron,Cordova,,anywhere, anytime is a good time to race,,keep in touch this spring ,,I could make a trip to race with you,,on getting lose at lo speed,,90% of my sideways time comes before the 300 mark,been sideways one time after the 1/8 due to tire pressure [my fault] and a loose lca bolt after a long run on the street[streets fault?]this was a near full sideways at over 100 and I got it straightened out in the other lane in front of a slower car,I made up excuses to stick around the pits for a while afterward,,of course I checked and rechecked every bolt,nut,and adjustable unit on the car,,lol yeah ,,a learning experience,,
Charles
2lucke4u

Return to Drag Racing