Old paint detailing

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Old paint detailing

Postby bugdewde » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Having seen a few recent posts with nice shiney paint on the cars, I realized my currrent paint condition sucks.
I compared my paint to some pics of the car when I first picked it up a year ago........ and I can't believe how it got so bad in one year. I've only waxed it twice, the last time I used a bit of cleaner/polish to get some oxidation off the car. Looked ok for a couple days..... now it's glazed and oxidized again.

What products should I use and how do I go about polishing this thing back out?

It's been sitting outside for about 3 months, since the last polish/cleaner/wax application.
Here's the roof, showing the two different applications. The one on the left was with a mechanized buffer.
Roof.JPG

Here's a spot I just now touched up with polish... so I know it will shine once again. But what can I do to keep it shiney?
Fender.JPG

Fender close.JPG

Here's a chip, showing there's plenty of paint applied on the one repaint of the car. So some heavy buffing shouldn't hurt the paint.
chip.JPG

chip close.JPG

I don't know what the paint is.... I'm assuming it was done back in the 80's. It has plenty of chips and lots of dings and is in need of a repaint..... but I just want to get it shining again until I can talk myself into getting a complete redo.
This is a video I took of the spot after I polished it with some Mother's Mag/Aluminum polish that was lying around. Definitely needs some buffing out but I don't wan't to use this on the whole car.
What works for you guys?
http://video.cardomain.com/Clip.aspx?ke ... BF4029EE87
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Old paint detailing

Postby bugdewde » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Here's a pic of it when I first got it.......... versus now (awaiting starter rebuild) .......
The Dragon Overlook 256.jpg
100_1263.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby gt350fme » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:03 pm

Lots of products out there, but I like Meguiar's

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/index.asp

You need to remove that dead paint layer with a cleaner polish or rubbing compound if really bad and then apply a coat of finish wax, read directions of coarse.
Your on the right track, that paint will probably degrade again in time.

Good luck
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BillPappy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:52 am

If ya get a buffer. You will need alot of pads. I had a old truck thats was the same color. I like the color,hated the paint.
Would rub off on my hand, pants ,shirt. Needed to be waxed every other week.
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:19 am

I'm trying to think back to my red spyder in 1995.

When I got it the paint was then 9 years old. It had major 'blue'ing happening and the front facia was almost chalky white with a haze on it.

I remember usuing a buffer, and alot of different products I threw at it. I went to detail shops and asked what was the best.

I bought this container of 'back to black' for red/black cars. that really did a great job. there may have been 1 or 2 other 'pro's only' items I used, but it think it was the buffer that did most of the work.

Then I posihed and waxed the car a zillion times. Using meguires stuff mostly.

Knock on wood, I've been waiting for the blueing to come back since then...and it hasnt

Hopefully writing this doesn't jinx me.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby 73astregt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:26 pm

dwight if you know a body paint guy ask him but if you removed all the wax off the car with a good cleaner/ remover then you might be able to repair all the chips blow them in if you can match the paint then wetsand the whole car with fine paper(1500 or 2000 grit not shure here) same as you would rub out the paint on a fresh job . afterwards you can use the mothers three or four step paint finish wax products with a power buffer to make it shine like new again! by the way dude when are you gonna ship me my grill you dont really need it do you lol! :dance: :mrgreen:
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby bugdewde » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Fred,
I'll have to start that will I've been thinking about.......

I'm saving it for when I get the car really nice... and find the early emblems....

there's an all Pontiac car show in the summer that I want to take it (eventhough it's not a real Pontiac) and the T/A to.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby vegagtfan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Budgewde I use Nu Finsh (the car polish in the orange bottle) it takes the dull ness off really well I used it on my Grandpa's 78 Scout Travller right after he bought it last summer being that the paint was really faded on it and it made the paint shine like new it will need it again this summer being that it's a once a year car polish I use it on my 76 Vega every year it makes the paint really shine nice and the water bead and run right off you can even put in on in the sun it is a really good car polish.

Travis
76 Vega Gt Hatchback V6
72 vega Gt Hatchback v8 In Progress
vegagtfan

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby grandam75 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:28 pm

3M makes some really good quality products. I used Perfect-it fast cut rubbing with a power buffer on the lincoln in the picture below. The paint was so faded I thought it was non saveable at first, but now it shines.
DSC00209.JPG
Martin from Sweden..
1971 Vega hatchback

1975 Pontiac Grand Am
1971 Pontiac Lemans Convt
1965 Buick Wildcat Convt
1972 Pontiac Firebird
1993 BMW 740i
grandam75

Postby 80 MONZTA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:21 pm

grandam75 wrote: The paint was so faded I thought it was non saveable at first, but now it shines.
DSC00209.JPG

Holly Cow, I thought that was primer or something on the rear at first, until I read that you were in the process of buffing it. Looks good. :thumb:
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Restoration Tips