so, this is where you go when you finally start

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

so, this is where you go when you finally start

Postby ONE EYE » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:34 am

****PICS MOVED TO MY POST BELOW AS I MOVED THEM TO A DIFFERENT FOLDER AND THE LINKS HERE WERE BROKEN. MORE PICS ADDED ALSO****

i finally strted my vega. i had a hell of a time finding any info on what you use for the standard assembly. all i got out of like a month or two of searching was
-its cable operated
-the clutch fork is at 7 o'clock
-good luck finding any parts

i ordered a bell from one of the only two wrecking yards that had one listed on car-part.
the first showed up and was for a malibu. the second one took about two or three weeks to finally get a price and they somehow assumed i was looking for an oil pan. so that part was taken off car-part.com. lol

then i wheeled the car into the garage and started to bitch and moan that i hated this car and everything is custom or special order.
good thing for friends, they told me to quit whining and just do it. so i have been.

heres a description of what i started with.

74 vega with a 6 point cage and halo, 12 bolt posi, trunk floor cut out, car gutted, a set of fender well exit headers, an engine plate, a plasma cutter, mig welder, a bunch of scrap steel, a sense of humor and a lot of suggestions.
i had to make another engine plate and tranny x member as the first plate was too thin and BENT when i tried to level the motor, and the tranny x member that came in the car was a stock one cut and screwed to the floor with threaded rod and nuts and washers. it ripped out of the floor when i tried to level the motor after making the new x member.
Last edited by ONE EYE on Sat May 02, 2009 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
and.......
82 Z28- stalled project
67 biscayne- donated to a friend he gave it back!! now has motor from 94 burb below..
68 charger- next on the list hopefully
69 GTO- first car stalled when i lost the bolts about 9 years ago lol
81 El Camino- donated to my nephew he chose a 80 tubbed camaro instead
93 ZX7- traded for 86 blazer with TPI ---both gone
94 suburban- daily driver--ground issue so i cut it up. see biscayne for engine lol
93 Z71- plow truck
91 GMC sierra- project cruiser
99 SS hugger orange camaro- bought new and has 15,051 kilometers so far
ONE EYE

Re: so, this is where you go when you finally start

Postby 72 SS PNL » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:59 am

very nice !!!!

cant wait to get 1 so i can start
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 80 MONZTA » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Looks like a good start to me.

I want details on your sub-frame connectors, I noticed that instead of cutting the floor, you put them below it and filled in with plate steel. What size tube did you use, and how far does it stick down from the side sills or that pinch weld (or whatever that pinch thing is called)? A side pic would be great.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ONE EYE » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:53 am

i have a real hard time cutting a perfectly good floor to jam a huge pipe all the way along it. especially since i have to put a seat there when i am done. lol

the connectors are 2x2 i think, they are welded completely along the pinch weld. i actually used an air hammer to beat the pinch weld against the connector. i figured that it was a twofer deal. by that i mean two birds and one stone....find out if and where the rotted parts are and not having to use a hammer. i have no depth perception (see the screen name) lol
the only thing i could have done better was clean the pinch weld better and put a new tip in my welder BEFORE i did it instead of after. hahaha

it hangs about 1/2 to 1 inch below the body line at the back and less (cant remember) at the front. i actually didnt think it was gonna work, so i didnt fill the top of the connectors where i cut the metal out. so i have to drill holes in the bottom of the tube to make sure that any rain and sediment that gets in there will hopefully come out.it really could have been a nicer job but i just held the tube up against the floor and eyeballed it then cut with the plasma. i dont know for sure what the thickness of the side plate is but i will check tomorrow and let you know that too.
i will also get some pics of the outside and the engine plate at the same time since i will be photshopp.....er photographing the car again. lol
and.......
82 Z28- stalled project
67 biscayne- donated to a friend he gave it back!! now has motor from 94 burb below..
94 suburban- daily driver--ground issue so i cut it up. see biscayne for engine lol
93 Z71- plow truck
ONE EYE

Postby ONE EYE » Sat May 02, 2009 4:30 am

i moved the above pictures into a vega specific folder in my photoshop so the links broke. i am tired, and dont feel like fixing the white boxes so i am just going to repost them here along with the other pics of the outside of the connectors.

i also finally got the shocks installed. they had cut the tops out of the shock mounts in the floor so i had to make new mounts. i also had to modify the lower to match the shocks that i had as i am more mig wire rich than performance part rich. lol

heres the hole i had to make into a shock mount...

my brainstorm...

what i did for the lower mount-

upper mount with shock installed-

and what you will see if you are behind the float truck after i break it. hahahha-

outside of the rocker view of the frame connector on the front pass side-

outside connector view of the rear pass side-

inside rear drivers view-

drivers side under the door the plate is welded to the outside seat reinforcement-

drivers side front view-

tranny X member-

different angle of the rear inside-

engine sitting in before i did anything else-

different angle of same situation-
and.......
82 Z28- stalled project
93 Z71- plow truck
ONE EYE

Postby 73astregt » Sat May 02, 2009 5:16 am

you are making some good progress on your car! hurry hurry! you gotta get it together before the monza que this summer. us early car guys need more representation there lol!
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 70styleVega » Sun May 03, 2009 6:28 pm

I like both your car and the way that you are building it.

I believe that street/strip cars that use the factory-style lower control arms should have subframe connectors under the doors. I look for how other H-body members tie these connectors into the lower control arm mounts, since I plan to do the same.

I also like the homebuilt torque arm. I'm considering that too.

Good Luck with the rest of your build.... you have a great start.
75 Vega hatchback, EFI 5.3L/t350 swap kit, street/strip, budget build in progress
70styleVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ONE EYE » Mon May 04, 2009 12:34 am

lol thanks, i am of the belief that function over form is the best. i wrote on my el caminos hood scoop 'prettys for girls' in black marker. people laughed at it until they seen it launch. lol

i was actually toying with the idea of making new longer lower control arm mounts that are welded to the frame connector. instead of using the factory stamped lower mounts. have to stare at it for an hour or two to see if i can do it. hahaha

if i dont do that, i am probably going to make a third link or some other type of link for launch .

i am right now worried about how i am going to actuate the clutch. hahahaha
i also took better pics of the outside view of the frame connectors today, just have to upload and post them. car is off the hoist right now and they look pretty neat. lots of room for my lower control arm mount muahahaha
and.......
82 Z28- stalled project
93 Z71- plow truck
ONE EYE

Postby ONE EYE » Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 am

surfing my fathers facebook i found a better pic of the outside rocker/frame connector for 80 MONZTA......

and.......
82 Z28- stalled project
93 Z71- plow truck
ONE EYE

Postby gt350fme » Tue May 05, 2009 11:32 am

Yup, these cars take a lot of custom fabrication for sure, makes us better mechanics for it, enjoy the journey for it can be a long one, take your time and do it right and keep at it.
Nice work on the shock mounts and sub frame
Oh I did notice this car must be a 73, the bumpers say it all.
TC
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Kenova » Tue May 05, 2009 4:58 pm

ONE EYE wrote:i was actually toying with the idea of making new longer lower control arm mounts that are welded to the frame connector. instead of using the factory stamped lower mounts. have to stare at it for an hour or two to see if i can do it. hahaha

The H-body lower control arms were the shortest arms GM ever used. Go to the wreckers and measure up some other GM cars and use the set that work the best for you. In my opinion, the longer the better. There are aftermarket arms for everything and they should work fine with a torque arm.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby ONE EYE » Tue May 05, 2009 10:26 pm

its a 74 vega, but someone back in the day cut the front one. it came with a spare front bumper that is in one piece still.

i have some spare arms around here somewhere so i am gonna see what they look like on it. i also have a tig and all the other fab crap i need to make some. still cheaper than buying some and i am fat, so i spend all my money on chocolate bars and pop. hahahaha
and.......
82 Z28- stalled project
93 Z71- plow truck
ONE EYE

Postby ONE EYE » Sun May 17, 2009 4:00 am

my cell phone puked (apparently i am not macguyver....a cell phone and paperclip just make a broken cell phone. dont try seeing where you can put it in the phone ...... lol)

so the linkage pics i had on it are gone. i wanted to show you guys the homemade clutch linkage and how good it works. but i have been patching the previous owners (we shall call him the genious) bright idea to cut the trunk floor out of the car.

so, here are the pics i took with my (*NEW*) phone. lol

i am boxing in the sides and rear of the factory well cover and using that as the new floor for the fuel cell (hopefully i get the cell made in time) if i cant use the one i plan on making i have a stock car cell i will use till i do.
and.......
82 Z28- stalled project
93 Z71- plow truck
ONE EYE

Return to Project Journals