Front coil springs

Moderator: Moderators

Front coil springs

Postby azbigal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:42 am

Hey folks! I replace the front springs on my 75 Monza 2+2 350 and I am not happy with the ride height (to low) or the lack of available suspension. I went with the original replacement springs which seem to be listed as the same for a 4cyl as the V8. What is a better choice of spring to increase ride height and not be too harsh on bumps?
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Front coil springs

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Try a different set would be my suggestion. I oprdered 4 cyl springs and they were the same height and seem to be same spring and rate as my original v8 springs.
How much room is between your a arm snubber and a arm?
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby Bob Gumm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm guessing the 4 cylinder springs Fatserthansome bought were of the "with air-conditioning" variety. However, as a rule, the L4 and V8 springs are not the same. Don't forget that the older models had shallower spring pockets (and shorter springs) which can further complicate the problem. If the company you purchased your springs from sold you springs made to fit the shallow pocket control arms that could be the problem. What was your source for the springs? Depending on the source, I have often seen parts listed as fitting the V8 cars when in fact they don't.

Example: I have seen motor mounts listed that are OEM replacment V8 Monza mounts but the picture is of a set for a 4 cylinder. When I wrote to ask if the picture was correct they assured me it was, when I then told them that those mounts won't fit a V8 they then said they didn't have access to the stock and couldn't verify the product actually matched the picture. I'm seeing a lot of this lately as some businesses are trying to make a fast buck by buying up lots of old stock at warehouse auctions. The it seems they see that the part fits a Vega and list it to fit the L4, the V6 and even the V8 Vega which GM never made.

Check your source and see if they made a mistake. Sounds like they may have sent you the wrong springs.

Surley somone on this board can provide some spring specs so we can be sure of what we're getting? I've have started to put together a GM Spring Part Number chart based off of information on springs in the GM Service catalog, but it doesn't specify the wire thickness or length which would be the most useful.

Good Luck,
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby 73Sedan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Bob, a few years back I had uploaded the entire TRW/Moog spring chart to your site. I had uploaded it here also a while back.

I have NOT been able to find it through the original source(s) on the internet, but I still have it, so, here it is again...

I chose 6490 for the front - but that is based on the early (shallow) pocket a-arm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73Sedan

Postby Bob Gumm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'm building a document library where folks will be able to download info such as this and I will add this spring info to the list of files. Hopefully I'll get the project uploaded soon and add to it as I make or source more documents.

Thanks,
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby chevyart » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:17 pm

bob im planning on buying new front springs for my 75 vega with v8 in it. it currently has the stock springs in it and i want to raise the front up. the ones i am planning to bur are the monza v6 with air springs, part no moog MC 5624, or another brand is part no. FCS 5624s. does this sound right. do you sell these springs thanks chevy art
chevyart

Postby my79monza » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:38 pm

I am in the process of a v/8 conversion in a 79 2+2, Summit racing shows #55576 spring for this car.
I also found on another site where someone had used this number without issue.
Moog # C55576

Merle
my79monza

Postby Bob Gumm » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:31 pm

No I don't sell springs. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I never got a notice of any replies to this post.
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby azbigal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks for the info. Is the lower control arm on a 75 Monza 2+2 V8 considered deep or shallow?
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 am

im pretty sure any 75 h-body,no matter what model is the deep pocket control arms. someone else verify this chevy artPS any response to my question posted above about the front springs i referred to above. thanks art
chevyart

Postby Bob Gumm » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:50 am

All '75 and later front lower control arms are supposed to be deep pocket style. As for determining if the V6 w/ air springs will raise your car up, it's hard to answer due to so many factors. If your current springs are L4 or regular non-ac V6 springs then yes the V6 w/ air springs should raise your car. But how much is anyone's guess without a lot more info and a spring calculator (I saw one on the web somewhere). Also, it is typical for springs to settle another inch or so after a month or two of driving. So if it starts out a little too high, let it ride for a couple of months. If it's way too high it will still be too high even after a month or two.

Good Luck,
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby azbigal » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks Bob, I think I am going to use V8 non AC springs for a 76 model which should also be deep pocket. I doubt it will be too high, I can use the clearnance for my Moroso oil pan. I will post before and after pictures when I complete the swap. AL
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 am

i think the springs azbigal are using (v8 w/o AC) is the same srping as v6 with AC thats the spring i am using and it is designed for a monza, which comes with deep pocket control arms at bottom, so it definitely should raise my 75 vega up. no one has directly answered my question above, but i will still go with this spring as i believe it is the one for the job chevy art
chevyart

Postby 1972vega » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:00 pm

I am in agreement with him going with the V8 springs WithOUT A/C - I used the the ones for the A/C car option and they were way to stiff and set the front end up way to high on my Monza. (And if you cut them down then spring rate - stiffness goes up, so it is even a stiffer ride :( ).
The V6 with A/C (which I think are the same rate as the V8 spring without A/C are the same spring specs) worked perfect for my situation.

P.S. Also in agreement with the 1975 and up lower controls arms are deeper so if any Monza springs are used on a 1971 to 1974 Vega they are a couple coil turns to tall.
1972 Vega - Harvest Gold - 355SBC, Vortec heads, Turbo 350 - 3000 Stall, Ford 4.11 Locker, M/T 8.5 x 26 Slicks.
Best ET 11.71 - 115MPH - 1.60RT - All stock chassis - no subframe/roll cage/stock interior.
1972vega

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevyart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:14 pm

hey 1972 vega you told me what i was not quite sure of i will use the same springs... do you remember where you bought them and what brand and part number thanks chevy art
chevyart

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech