Heater core Install in 1977 Monza Spider

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Heater core Install in 1977 Monza Spider

Postby gm_fan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 pm

I have a heater core leaking and wanted to know how bad is the job? The car has factory a/c and I know its a mean job, so is there any shortcuts that would help in this endeavor?? thanks Mark
gm_fan

Re: Heater core Install in 1977 Monza Spider

Postby Todd TCE » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Seeing that I've been knee deep in a resto I can attest to the hassles it is to get at it....not sure I can offer and solid suggestions however as I took apart a lot of things with that.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby gm_fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:23 am

Thanks Todd, the thing I keep telling myself is it was just a bunch of parts before they put it together so wala ,I just need to reverse the process..That thought comes in handy in my transmission business sometimes anyway..I will be tackling it soon, and I have the service manual as a guide , but being a professional mechanic, I also know there are shortcuts to learn and tell sometimes...thanks again. gm_fan
gm_fan

Postby SunbirdMan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:13 am

Read it and weep. 36 easy steps. Take my word for it....there are no shortcuts. If you need step 5 electrical scanned let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby gm_fan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:35 am

Just what I figured..I actually was able to get an nos heater core from GM through vintage parts..You know after fooling with this car for years, what else would I expect??? Yes I would appreciate a scan of the electrical for step 5 if you dont mind..That will give me something else to cry about probably...thanks very much, and I really mean it even though like they say, if you dont like the message, dont shoot the messenger....Thanks again....Mark
gm_fan

Postby AusRs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:56 am

Wow
I am so glad my car has no AC ......heater core would take around 10 mins tops out and then back in (unless the car was hot
]
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby SunbirdMan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:59 am

Pad removal, as requested. I think there's a couple screws that come in from the sides by the "A" pillar. The pad needs a little force to pop it off and with the old age of the foam underneath it would be easy to permanently crush the foam, so be as gentle as possible. There may be some trick to getting it off that someone else may know. Lets hear it. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 pm

I did it in my 79, thread with pics here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18963&start=0
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby gm_fan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks Sunbirdman and also Zeke, the information will be very helpful..Your help has given me a false sense of security ,and I am ready to tackle the job now..even though I'm sure I will get over it when I get started..I have the front clip off the car and it should make it a little easier to access the firewall outer bolts..The main thing is to get everything back where it goes, as I hate to work on cars that have been previously raped by someone who does not care if all the brackets, bolts, ties, ect is put back. It takes longer to do it right , but takes twice as long to redo a mess..Got an original heater core from my GM parts dept and with the info I am going to dive in this weekend....thanks again
gm_fan

Postby Todd TCE » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Just reading this and the pics reminds me of the mess I have yet to deal with when re assembling it all.

Thanks! I think... :bang:
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Return to Restoration Tips