Does anyone still have the rearend swap brackets?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Does anyone still have the rearend swap brackets?

Postby Yenkoboy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I got an email from Larry on the brackets. They are at the shop get CNC programing done, they are just taking their time. Larry is going to call them next week a find out whats up. He also is making a set for 3 link cars too. I can't get the pics to work there is some problem with the format. I will work on it this weekend

Mark
72 GT Vega aka "Little Evel" 22K Miles V6 3.8 T5 5 speed and 7.5 4.10 Posi
72 GT Vega aka " Little Evel II (Jegster Chassis)
Yenkoboy

Postby Monzamouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:19 pm

I started a while back trying to come up with an easy way to duplicate the rearend upper and lower control arms.
I finally got time to make a set and let Yenkoboy give me some feed back on them. I really appreciated
his honesty and he made some suggestions that would help the cosmetics so I went back to the drawing board and
came up with a little different design. It's been slow going due to my wifes illness but things are getting better
and her last surgery will be mid Feb.
I made the patterns using basic power tools(band saw,jig saw,etc) and then made a set and tack welded everything,
then took them to a certified welder and he welded them up using a combination of TIG and Mig welders.
I have also taken my patterns to a guy with a CNC machine and he can make the sides for the lower now($$).
I had him do one set just to see how they would look and they look good. I also took him the pattern for
the uppers but he said it would be next week before he could do anything (had since ealy Nov).
I have sent some pictures of the lowers (8 total). They are designed to fit the no hop bars(see picture).
I resized them to 640 X 480 so I hope they go across.
I also have pictures of the pattern for the upper control arms.
I also have pictures of the spring perches and track bar bracket (for a three link).
I'll see if these go then I'll send those in two more threads.
I welcome any feed back.
Thanks
Larry
pic1a.jpg
pic 2a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monzamouse

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monzamouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:25 pm

OK only 5 of the pic's went here are the other 3.

Thanks
Larry
pic 6a.jpg
pic 7a.jpg
pic 8a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monzamouse

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monzamouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Here is a picture of the rear end upper control arm bracket. I made it a little bigger beacuse I wanted all of the
rubber bushing to come in contact with the bracket. If you use the polyurethane bushings they are bigger and now
with this design it will contact all of the bushing. This is not welded yet and is just my pattern. Hopefully
by next week my guy with the CNC can make a few for me.
Also to address raising the upper control arm position it can be done easily by extending the inner part
of the bracket to any height you want, the outside will stay the same.
Here are 4 pictures.
Thanks
Larry
Monzamouse

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monzamouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Here are the spring perch brackets and track bar bracket.

Thanks
Larry
Monzamouse

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 73astregt » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:34 pm

monzamouse what would a complete set of the four link brackets with the spring perches be worth to buy and can you ship to canada? those look real good :D im wanting to swap in a s10 rear end this winter and would like to get a set in january if possable.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby Monzamouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:09 pm

73astregt I was going to sell them for $195.00 includes lowers,uppers and spring Perches, plus shipping.
There should not be a problem shipping to Canada.I am not sure of the tube size on a S10 rear end.
Everything I am making is for a 3" tube.
Let me know.
Thanks
Larry
Monzamouse

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 73astregt » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:41 pm

ok sounds good let me know when you have a set ready to go and we will work out the payment details and shipping thanks fred. p.s i dont think tube size will be a problem as lots of guys have welded the stock brackets on the s10 housings before.shipping would be to m1l 3x2 canada
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby Monzamouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Fred, I'll let you know when they are ready.

Thanks
Larry
Monzamouse

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 72vega5.3 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Im going to ask a local shop that has a torchmate 3 plasma cutting machine how much these brackets would cost to cut. They could do a bunch out of one sheet
(File photo of machine)
72vega5.3

Postby BobD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Nice work Monzamouse! I don't mean to step on your toes with the great work you are doing but Autoweld in Danville Pa might be another outlet for these type of brackets and more. They have a bolt in 9" ford rear, might be overkill for the stock arms but if he can make the brackets for a ford, he should be able to make them fit just about anything. I talked to a guy at Numidia (a local track) and he said that Autoweld does nice work. Spyder_xlch might know more about autoweld he lives in the area. Here is a link to the web page with the bolt in 9" ford. Good luck guys. http://autoweldchassis.com/vbi.ivnu
BobD

Postby gotmud7 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:39 am

Here is a Vega 9". Mark. Hey Chevy Art, I'm pretty sure I sent you the sketch of the stop hops. It was right after I got them.
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BadBowtie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:09 am

gotmud7 wrote:Here is a Vega 9". Mark. Hey Chevy Art, I'm pretty sure I sent you the sketch of the stop hops. It was right after I got them.

Is this the picture that you are talking about? haha my name may not be Chevy Art butttt im still one BadBowtie! haha
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Monzamouse » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 pm

That's no problem BobD, it's always a good idea to search things out and find other places
that are potiential parts suppliers. I only did this project because I thought it was a challenge
and I was trying to help other members. I have been to the Autoweld site before because
someone else (don't remember who) pointed it out about the 9" ford bolt in. I think someone
actually called to see if they sold the brackets and they said no. Maybe if we can find some
more sources there will be enough brackets to go around instead of cutting the 30 + year old
brackets off an old rearend lol.
Thanks
Larry
Monzamouse

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:36 am

hey gotmud you are right about sending me the exact pictures and specs of the stop hop bars. still got everything. i am sending out copies to bob gumm, and i sent copies to astre mutt(in canada. think thats correct) and will send them to anyone i n need of them. thanks alot chevy art
chevyart

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech