73 Vega Panel Chopped 84 Vette suspension

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 73 Vega Panel Chopped 84 Vette suspension

Postby Hondo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 pm

NixVegaGT wrote:Thanks for posting those specs. That's pretty enlightening. I love the idea of this project. It's very ambitious, Hell yeah! Since you're sorta still in the ideation phase I thought I'd just toss this in there. I have a buddy on britishv8.org that chopped his MGB down the middle to increase the track width. I'm not saying do this. Just tossing it out there... LOL. To be fair, that's a LOT of work. Good luck with this. It should make a pretty great track car. I'll be watching your progress. Cool.

Thanks for the encouragement Nix. :th:

Actually I had thought of adding a little width to the body instead of narrowing the C4 frame as the main purpose of this build is to have a Vega Panel that handles like a C4 Corvette. I will be using a fiberglass hood and rear hatch with Lexan in both glass locations so making those wider would not be a big problem. Cutting the dash just to the right of the instrument panel would leave the stock look to the dash and require the least amount of work to add any amount needed to the overall width of the body. Adding a few inches to the width of the body would also add to the overall low look of the top chop. I have not decided yet to go this route but it is still an option in my mind that will be considered when I get the C4 frame and Vega Panel ready to start putting them together.

Thanks Again
Some men talk 'cause they got somethin' to say.
Others talk 'cause they got to say somethin'.

FYI
In the basement now:Image
97 Blazer AWD getting a Vortec 5.7 installed
74 Corvette Stingray getting restored to original sepcs.
46 Willys Jeep getting restored to original specs.
1978 Honda CX500 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)wife's
1974 Honda CB750 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)mine
Hondo

1971 Chevrolet Vega Panel Express

Postby conn.rod » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:50 am

I cannot wait too see the finished product,it will be fierce no doubt.Did the trans am column fit in directly or did you have to modify it?
if you don't have time too do it right the first time
how do you have time too do it over a second time
conn.rod

Postby Hondo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:29 am

conn.rod wrote:I cannot wait too see the finished product,it will be fierce no doubt.Did the trans am column fit in directly or did you have to modify it?

It has been so long since I put the column in that I don't remember what all it took to get it in but I do know that it wasn't that bad to do or I would have remembered it.

I will take a good look at the hookup at the steering box to see what I had to do to get it hooked up and post it here. :th:

FYI
1978 Honda CX500 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)wife's
1974 Honda CB750 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)mine
Hondo

Postby Hondo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:26 pm

conn.rod wrote:I cannot wait too see the finished product,it will be fierce no doubt.Did the trans am column fit in directly or did you have to modify it?

Finally got out to check out my steering column install after the snow let up here and here is what I did back in the late 70's to get the TransAm column into my Panel.

Here is the stock steering setup for the 71 Vega.

My TransAm column install uses the stock bottom half of the Vega steering shaft.

The steering shaft was cut just below the steering column tube and because it was so close to the exhaust manifold a pipe sleeve was used to weld it to the TransAm shaft.

Under the instrument panel was pretty much a bolt in and plug up.
:th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby waybad » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:22 pm

did everything work with the plug under the steering column? (turn signals,lights ect ect?)
Tinker
waybad

Postby Hondo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:48 pm

waybad wrote:did everything work with the plug under the steering column? (turn signals,lights ect ect?)

Best I can remember it plugged right up and everything worked fine. GM was always good about keeping standard wiring and connectors. The column was from a mid 70's TransAm. Back then that same tilt steering column was probably used in all GM vehicles with a different steering wheel depending on what model and make it was in. :th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby rocketride » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:37 pm

Hondo,

I finally found some pictures of chopped top wagons I pulled off the web several years ago and burned on CD. I'll be watching your build and waiting for the explosive results (C4). :lol:

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby Hondo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 pm

rocketride wrote:Hondo,

I finally found some pictures of chopped top wagons I pulled off the web several years ago and burned on CD. I'll be watching your build and waiting for the explosive results (C4). :lol:

Jon

Thanks for the pics Jon.

I like the looks of the purple one but if it was silver metallic with black GT stripes and an L88 hood it would look like what I have in my head now. :th:

Mike

FYI
Hondo

Postby Racin Jason » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Nice find rocketride!
Our blessed mother of acceleration dont fail me now. -Elwood Blues
Racin Jason

Postby Roccosvega » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Man that orange one is just BAD TO THE BONE. I like the way they look with the top chopped.
Don't think a hatch would look as good though.

Robert.
Roccosvega

Postby rocketride » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Found another one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby Hondo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:12 pm

rocketride wrote:Found another one.

And a couple of other views of the same one.

And a nice rear view

Doesn't look like it is chopped as much as the others but still looks good. :th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby toolow4i75 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:21 am

Hondo,
I love what your doing here. This is real car crafting. I have a question for you though. If this car will be on the street, can you legally run a lexan windshield? If you have vehicle inspections down there it could become a hassle. Any pics or info on this S10 your building on the web?
toolow4i75

Postby Hondo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am

toolow4i75 wrote:Hondo,
I love what your doing here. This is real car crafting. I have a question for you though. If this car will be on the street, can you legally run a lexan windshield? If you have vehicle inspections down there it could become a hassle. Any pics or info on this S10 your building on the web?

Thanks for the encouragement and no problem with the law in using Lexan for windshields in Alabama (no inspections now). If inspections are ever started here they usually exempt vehicles over 20 years old and the Vega is already exempt from having a title (1975 first year required to have a title in Alabama).

Both of my motorcycles have Lexan windshields and the only problem is scratches to the soft surface if you don't take care of it. I also plan on using a NASCAR trick for protecting the Lexan on the windshield by using a clear film on it that can be removed and replaced when needed. Using Lexan in the side and back glass positions should not be a problem if good cleaning procedures are used. This Panel will only be driven on special occasions and not as a daily driver so the Lexan with the clear film on it should last for a while before needing any attention. Wipers are required in Alabama when a windshield is used on a motor vehicle and I will keep the wipers but use another trick that I learned years ago to avoid using the wipers as much as possible (a good liquid car wax on the windshield and other glass surfaces will shed the rain better than wipers).

I have a few photos of my Blazer here at http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/97-blazer-4dr-lt-awd-4-3-swap-to-96-tahoe-5-7-a-425961/
I have done several engine swaps in the past but this is my first late model S10/Blazer swap and this one is being done mainly for more towing power.
This also gives me the chance to clean everything up to repaint and repair things such as CV joints, ball joints and install some new urethane bushings in the control arms.

I have also acquired some 01 xtreme wheels (16x8) to put on it so I can get a little more rubber on the road. :th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby Hondo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I had this idea while putting the 96 Tahoe Vortec 5.7 in my 97 Blazer AWD that I am doing now and thought that it might help anyone trying to get a little clearance with a engine swap in a Vega or anything else with exhaust manifold clearance problems.

Using the stock Vortec 5.7 exhaust manifolds in a narrow frame engine swap.

The stock Vortec exhaust manifold outlets are much wider than the engine and will not go between the frame rails on my 97 Blazer AWD (or 4x4) or any other narrow frame vehicle. I want this engine swap to look as much like a factory install so I did not want to use LT1 manifolds or tube headers which would have needed other modifications to make them work.

Image Image

What I did was to angle mill the exhaust manifold where it mates to the head to bring the exhaust outlets in closer to the engine block which will allow it to go between the frame rails.

After the milling to the exhaust manifolds they are much closer to the rear of the engine block. A little more could be removed from the manifolds if needed but I think that this should be enough for my application. If I do need some more all I have to do is remove the manifold and cut a little more for extra clearance.

Image Image

Now with a little bending in the right places of the stock 4.3 exhaust y-pipe it should work on the 5.7 Vortec exhaust outlets and allow the use of the stock Blazer exhaust system. My Blazer has a Gibson cat-back exhaust that I installed in 1996 with less the 500 miles on the Blazer and now I plan on a true duel exhaust system with Cherry Bomb mufflers after I get everything else done.

FYI
Hondo

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals