Some answers to all the S10 rear axle brake questions

Moderator: Moderators

Some answers to all the S10 rear axle brake questions

Postby gotmud7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:52 pm

As I sit here at work today, I have been looking for a local S10 blazer 8.5 disc brake rear end with a posi. They are pretty hard to come by in the Chicago area. Seems like all the local yards have the smaller 7.5 with drums. I did notice that many of the 8.5 rears online do not come with any brakes, or even the backing plates. I guess they expect you to re use the old stuff. Plus it might be easier, and lighter, to ship.
I have been following most of the h-body threads about rear axles, and brakes, proportioning valves, etc. I am adding a ebay link to a used rear disc brake conversion kit. I think it would be of interest for a lot of the members to read. It has alot of information for those of us thinking of doing this same conversion. In this store's other auctions, he also gives a lot of information on what fits what, and what interchanges. I have actually emailed them a few times for specific S10 questions. They always answer back.
I did recently purchase some of the dual piston front S10 brakes from this store. They arrived in great condition, and very complete. I probably don't even need to paint them before I put them on. Here in Illinois, anything that goes through a winter with all the "salt" gets corroded right away.
Anyway here is the link. This guy should write a book called, "How to put S10 parts on your Vega/Monza" .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR-DIS ... ccessories
Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Some answers to all the S10 rear axle brake questions

Postby gotmud7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm

So far I have located a bunch of 8.5 rears within 50 miles of my house. All the yards do seem to expect you to reuse the old brakes. They don't keep track in their systems if they even have brakes on them or not. As far as the posi goes, the few yards I called don't really know. They say they can run the VIN number to check and see, but no price difference to them. To them its just another junk S10 rear axle. They did say they could hoist it into the back of my truck for me. Too bad I have to try and jam it into the back seat of my Camry! I'll have to measure before I go! Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Roccosvega » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Check this out Mark, I went to a pic-n-pull Asked them if they had any 8.5 S-10 or blazer S-10 Rear end's. The guy looked at his computer then told
me it shows 7 of them in the yard. I went out there to see for myself and it was just as I suspected nun. I did find one under a buick centry 73ish.
Once in a while you get luky and find one around here and disc brake or not when you do buy it. Thats what I did. I will be putting those rear discs
on mine.( the rear end in my car is from an S-10 pickup) I still actively look for them for my next H Body car.

Robert
Roccosvega

Postby cosworth0135 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:39 pm

this(and the fact i have a torque arm) is why I used a 7.5 . also why I did the write up on putting s-10 discs on my vega . I'm in illinois too Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech