New tubular front control arms!

Moderator: Moderators

New tubular front control arms!

Postby gotmud7 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:15 pm

This post is about getting some front tubular control arms made. At a reasonable price. I was reading some of the older posts here on h-body about adding s10 spindles to h-bodys. Someone had posted they bought the S10 ball joints from a company called UBMachine. (UBMachine.com) They have good prices listed in their downloadable catalog.

I also saw in the catalog they will custom make front tubular control arms. Prices in their catalog start at around $50 each. That seems pretty cheap to me. They also have a pre made plate with the S10 ball joint holes already made, just weld onto your existing a-arms. I had seen one of our members actually cut up a S10 a arm and then welded to a hbody a arm.

I don't know enough about the front suspension, ackerman angles, etc - or I would contact them myself. Can we, as a group, get one of our knowledgeable members to contact them and come up with a inexpensive, nonadjustable a-arm set that will bolt on without mods that fits upper and lower S10 ball joints?

Sounds like they should have built in some extra + camber?, raise the upper ball joint a little, and increase + caster? Why not have a coil over option. Bump steer? Whatever. We all don't need adjustable megaexpensive upper control arms. Some of us just want S10 brakes for the street.

CAN SOMEONE TAKE THE LEAD ON THIS? Can Bob G sell them on his site if we needed a bunch to get made?

Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: New tubular front control arms!

Postby Bob Gumm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:33 am

There is already a tubular control arm source. Also, not many would be able to make tubular control arms for $50 and make a profit, most likely they would be in the hole. Another point is you really want adjustable control arms, each vehicle is different due to wear and tear and having adjustable control arms means they can be adjusted to meet your needs. I'm sure someone will chime in where to get them, but get ready to pay a few hundred as they're anything but cheap.

Good Luck,
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby 73astregt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 am

i bought a set of adjustable upper arms from member cosvega76, he has a friend that makes them . cost was around 300.00 for the set, much cheaper than the spohn stuff or the aje arms and they work great even came with installation instructions and alignment set up specs! you can get them with plates for either the vega,monza upper ball joint or for the s10 ball joint. i got them with the s10 plates and then ordered a set of bobs ball joint adaptors and used late monza ball joints for the lowers. you can see pics in my journal of them installed, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26282 or nixvegagt has pics as well viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19422 .
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby gotmud7 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:41 am

hey 73astregt,

Do you have any pictures of the control arm BEFORE they were mounted? Any way to post, email, fax, or mail a set of instructions to me? Also, do the spherical rod ends make the suspension feel harder? if that's the word I'm looking for. Any measurements? Thanks.

Mark
gotmud7(at)aol.com
fax: 708-221-6652
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Here you go, Mark.

Contact Dave at vegadave@comcast.net or 847/464-4282.

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby my79monza » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Are lower arms an option or just uppers only?
Merle
my79monza

Postby gotmud7 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:26 pm

AJE picture for comparision. WHERE IS THE AJE SWAYBAR MOUNT? Stock a arms. Adjustable a arms. Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby overkillrc » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:58 pm

i have considered offering a service where you send me your control arms and i will rebuild them and replace the ball joint plate with S-10 and weld a new cup to your lowers to accept an S-10 lower ball joint. can also add caster if you want.

what cha think?

i also build tubular control arms at this time just for coilover shocks for the lowers but i am working on a spring pocket so a stock spring can be used. i also do a tubular K-member. i will soon be offering rear control arms and would like to do a bolt in tubular torque arm for the later car (or conversion in the earlier cars).

Justin
overkillrc

Postby azbigal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Welcome Justin! I saw your parts on Yellowbullet.com today in fact, and was impressed with the quality and beefiness. I am sure the folks here will respond favorablely. Thanks for your offerings. AL
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby overkillrc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:32 am

azbigal wrote:Welcome Justin! I saw your parts on Yellowbullet.com today in fact, and was impressed with the quality and beefiness. I am sure the folks here will respond favorablely. Thanks for your offerings. AL

thanks Al i've been building them for a couple years i've only built 4 sets so far but have had alot of interest as of late. i think i have thbugs worked out of them now but need to get the spring pocket built for stock type springs.
overkillrc

Postby Roccosvega » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:46 am

Welcome Justin, I have been thinking of putting them on my vega for a while now.
I have converted to S-10 ball joint stock units but would really like some adjustable
control arms.An upper and lower package deal would be nice.

Robert
Roccosvega

Postby overkillrc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Roccosvega wrote:Welcome Justin, I have been thinking of putting them on my vega for a while now.
I have converted to S-10 ball joint stock units but would really like some adjustable
control arms.An upper and lower package deal would be nice.

Robert

i do both upper and lower arms if your interested they are on my website in the products section. there is a link in my signature.

thanks,
Justin
overkillrc

Postby SOHCracer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:23 pm

You've got some nice stuff Justin. I may be needing some of those control arms here in the near future. thanks!
SOHCracer

1977 Pontiac Astre Formula

Postby monzajer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Justin, your fab skills ROCK! Very nice work. :th:

I am interested in the front UCAs & LCAs for my Monza. These look great and the cost is understandable.

Q: I don't see a provision for the sway bar. Are these A-arms for street use or drag racing or...?

Q: Do the LCAs come with S-10 bjs as well?

Q: what is availability?

Q: Do you have plans for other H-body items? TA, rear control arms, etc?

Thanks for doing something for the H-body crowd. Really,...thanks ALOT!

cheers jer :th:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby overkillrc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 pm

monzajer wrote:Justin, your fab skills ROCK! Very nice work. :th:

I am interested in the front UCAs & LCAs for my Monza. These look great and the cost is understandable.

Q: I don't see a provision for the sway bar. Are these A-arms for street use or drag racing or...?

Q: Do the LCAs come with S-10 bjs as well?

Q: what is availability?

Q: Do you have plans for other H-body items? TA, rear control arms, etc?

Thanks for doing something for the H-body crowd. Really,...thanks ALOT!

cheers jer :th:

Jer,
first thanks for the compliments i appreciate that

so far no one has wanted swaybar mounts so i haven't worried about them but i can always add them, thus far all i have done is drag stuff.

the LCA's pictured on my site do have S-10 BJ's yes i will do them with either BJ for the same price and i include new BJ's with all my control arms.

right now i am 2-3 weeks out but in my spare time i am working on getting a few stock pieces.

yes i fully intend to do a full line of H-body parts

i've wanted to come up with a small managable parts line and i figured why not H-body stuff?

i would really like to do in addition to control arms (front) rear control arms, torque arms, bolt in 9" housings for torque arms and 4 links.

thanks again for all the positive comments

Justin
overkillrc

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech