Being randomly logged out

Notices, bug reports, etc. about the forums

Moderator: Moderators

Being randomly logged out

Postby patrick1151 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 pm

The last couple of weeks, I keep getting logged out randomly after logging in, usually after typing a long PM or post. I am often using a public computer at the library. Is the the problem or? Yesterday, I was logged out 3 times in about a half hour and finally gave up trying to do what I wanted to do.
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Re: Being randomly logged out

Postby gerbsinmd » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Sounds to me like that is a function of the Public computer. Depending on what you are doing, like typing, it might not be triggering the activity monitor, of whatever software is running, which will cause it to log out. There isn't anything on the site that should do that. Public computers do whatever they can to protect the computer and the credentials of the last person using it, by logging out when they do not detect activity.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby monza75tc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:44 pm

I have the same problem when I am on AOL, but don't seem to have it when I go to Internet explorer. Just when I start getting bumped, just switch search option.

Dick
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby chevy art » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 am

its happened to me right here in my house, on my own computer. usually happens when i am almost(yeah almost) finished with a long post. that hurts art
chevy art

Postby monzamess » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:06 am

On our side, Colin set the "stay logged in" time to something VERY long, many years... so our server will only log you out when it gets rebooted, which happens whenever they have problems with it; that only happens every month or so. I know that it's really rare for me to have to log in (even though I'm an admin, there is nothing special about my account in terms of staying logged in).

So in short... something is happening on your end. It could be a browser setting, or it could be your internet provider doing something. Unfortunately I am bad at troubleshooting those things especially not being there in person.

When making a long post, I recommend typing it in Notepad or some other program, then copy-and-paste it into the box here. That way if the posting fails, you can just try again without retyping everything.

Another way is that you can temporarily save your text without using Notepad. When you're still in the reply box, before you hit Submit, press CTRL-A and then CTRL-C. This selects all, then copies it to your computer's memory. Then hit Submit. If the post fails, try to reply again, and press CTRL-V to paste your text into the reply box.

I learned these tricks on OTHER sites; this problem is common to all web-based forums, not just ours. :)

(Note: the "save" button when making a reply DOES work as designed, but it won't solve the problem of a dropped connection.)
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby patrick1151 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks, I just got a chance to read these. It doesnt happen to me when I was using my buddies computer or the computer at work so it must be the public computer.
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Return to h-body.org info