red line water wetter super coolant

Post reviews of H-body products here. UNBIASED REVIEWS ONLY. NO ADS.

red line water wetter super coolant

Postby peterpan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:45 pm

i ran my 75 vega at idle in my driveway with straight water for 15 minutes for a baseline temp it ran at 190

i drained the water put in the water wetter and a 50/50 mix of water antifreeze and the gauge ran at 170 for 15 minutes sitting in the drive way

i can't say how it works driving the car in traffic yet as i don't have it licenced or insured yet but the 20 degree cooler claim on the bottle held up to my driveway test

i bought it from jegs for $8.99
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Re: red line water wetter super coolant

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:38 pm

I also run WaterWetter but never did any tests on it. I figured for the few bucks it's worth whatever it does. Actually straight water is better than a water/antifreeze mix so it makes the results even more impressive.
Last edited by cjbiagi on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby peterpan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:30 pm

i got the idea to do the test from this forum

i figured it would go well here
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 pm

I always thought a 50/50 mix cooled better than straight water. I know anti freeze raises the boiling point, maybe that's what I'm thinking of.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Straight water has the best cooling properties. However, you also need anti corrosion along with lubrication and of course freezing protection that "coolant" provides. Probably a 50/50 mix is the best compromise depending on your climate.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzajer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Hey guys, the theory behind Water Wetter is it attaches itself to all metal surfaces in the engine allowing the coolant, whatever mix you prefer, to stick. In other words it prevents "hot pockets". In certain areas of the engine it may get so hot the water cannot adhere and the the results are higher temps. We used to use it in roundy round racing in Phoenix. Worked very well. jer
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby ROB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:13 pm

As was stated above, water does the best job of transferring heat. Yet, It has a 212* boiling temp. Coolent on the other hand, has a much higher boiling temp (don't know the exact number), yet, doesn't transfer heat very well. That's why usually going with a 50/50 mix is your best best. My personal experiance though, with a 3rd gen Trans AM, (NO air flow in front, just what get rammed in from the air dam) I ran 1 bottle Water Wetter, 20% coolant, and 80% water. My thoughts, more water, better heat transfer. And just enough coolant to help raise the boiling temp, with Water Wetter to help with the heat transferr. Well, in 105*+ days we have here in Phoenix, I kept my TA around 200*, in stop and go traffic, with the A/C on too. Hope this helps.

Rob
1976 Cosworth Vega, #2825
I'm not a purist, this is gonna have a V8.
ROB

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:44 pm

I use a brand sold at Walmart ( may be Redline?) also in my Monza, and it was really put to the test last summer when my battery died at the track and had to keep the car idleing in 115* heat for half an hour in the staging lanes. Never went over 180*.

Still no rust in the system even with straight water. Helps also when the temps dip into the 30's
in winter.( even with no antifreeze)

As some of you might not know, this a Cadillac 425 powered car with a dinky 24" x 16" x 1" single core aluminum radiator 2 speed Taurus fan and FloKooler disc.

Doug in Az 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby jdandboo@hotmail.com » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:16 pm

OK,guys,I know this sounds like some miracle product,but I'm sure you all understand how a cooling system works,,#190 thermostat means what??The thermostat opens @ 190*.Now you're telling me you have a product that makes my 190* open @ 170*??I had a friend tell me about this amazing product,and they started using it @ work"I put that in my whole fleet".
No.I have never used the product,nor done physical research on it.Just a lil observation.My monza seems to keep keep getting hotter as it runs(possibly a plugged rad?_Dont matter,as soon as i can I'm ordering a Griffin-just to be safe)(funny to say,but my prediction is a rotted water pump impeller)
So.how does this product make your car run cooler??I'd like to hear from somebody like myself who has an issue-and cured it with this stuff.Funny to say,but i watched a medical program today,and they were testing diet products.Most didnt seem to make any difference on the subjects.Then I realized all these girls were approx 5'8" and 120-130 lbs,,,hmm,no weight to lose,,
I dont wanna argue with anybody,Just an observation from "The Quiet Guy in the Back of the Class"
jdandboo@hotmail.com

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 pm

The thermostat will determine the minimum temperature the engine will run. So, WaterWetter will not make it run below that point but help keep it from rising as much above it. In the example above nothing was mentioned about the thermostat rating or if it even had one. It may have not had one or maybe it was a 160 degree. It's not a miracle product, but when used in conjunction with other tips and tricks it can help keep the engine temperature from rising too far above the thermostat rating and overheating. It's one of those "every little bit helps" types of things. For the few bucks it costs why not?
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Stonebird » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:34 pm

I 've worked in the pump/valve/fluid control business for 25 years. Here's what I have learned about this subject. As I understand it, most of these products work by reducing the surface tension of the coolant. What happens inside the cooling system is there is a thin film of coolant that sticks to the surfaces and interferes with heat transfer. With reduced surface tension, that film is thinner, allowing more efficient flow and heat transfer. The surface tension would probably be hard to test, but theoretically, a bead of water with water wetter added would be flatter/runnier than an equal size bead of plain water. Thus the name Water Wetter. I'm sure this stuff helps to some degree. I've thought of trying it but never have. I now have a stock copper three row V8 radiator that seems to keep it cool under most conditions, better than the custom 4 row I had built for it first. And no, it won't make your car with a 190* t-stat run at 170*, but it might help your car with a 160 that that runs at 210. Just my 2 cents.
Stonebird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby jdandboo@hotmail.com » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Another Observation
I agree totally about the "Surface Tension".Ever notice how much "WETTER" your hands feel when toying wih antifreeze???Almost feels like they're oily.Like I said,not here to argue,Any opinions on those skinny girls takin the diet products?????
jdandboo@hotmail.com

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 pm

My Spyder seems to be affected by the ambient temperature. If it's in the 90's outside, the temps stabilize at 210.

If it's in the 70's or cooler, it wont go above 180. So for next springs flush and fill, I'm going to try a bottle of this and see if it helps.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Rickracer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:45 am

Water Wetter was worth 15° to 20° cooler temps in my 427 Vega, and this is under ALL circumstances. :th:
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Wow, that's a pretty dramatic difference, maybe you should contact RedLine and they'll pay you for an endorsement :lol: . I have been using it for a long time as I had mentioned earlier. Every little bit helps and I certainly recommend it.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Product Reviews