Turbo truck LS engine

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Turbo truck LS engine

Postby 2lucke4u » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Rowdy Mclaughlin
parts are coming together,engine,flex plate,oil pan kit,are here,turbo,and c5 water pump is on its way,going to start pulling the motor apart to powder coat brackets,valve covers and misc,will order intake,exhaust and fuel pump this week,looking at going with 1/2 inch fuel lines to keep up with the E-85,much to do,

what did you use for alternator,C-5?? or will 2000 camaro work?
anything else i did not ask, or i should know before i start? thanks
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
74 GTO 350 4bbl,3sp,3.08 posi,buccaneer red
68 Firebird 400, 4sp,3.08 posi,black
2lucke4u

1978 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Nice, you're getting it all together, gonna come out great! The alternator is from advanced auto, I looked up for a 2003 Corvette I believe. Today I dynoed the car with a small 216/216 cam at 13psi it made 592whp. Get ready for the fun with yours its pretty crazy.
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby Kenova » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:23 am

Rowdy Mclaughlin wrote: Today I dynoed the car with a small 216/216 cam at 13psi it made 592whp.

DAMN! You couldn't squeeze another 8 Hp. out of it? :lol:
Awesome results. It must be one hell of a ride when you plant that right foot.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby 2lucke4u » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:55 am

Rowdy Mclaughlin
mine has the stock cam in it,know of any cheap upgrade to it,not looking to blow the whole budget but would like .525 to .550 lift,any used stuff out there,,not seeing anything new under 250.00,,what lift is the cam your running,,thanks for all the info,,building the engine on the stand and either car can get it,,,all black 68 firebird 400 or 80 black monza coupe,the firebird would be worth 10k more as a resto rod when done but the monza would be more fun,,,,mmm,,,,
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
2lucke4u

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:09 pm

I know just another 8hp and 600hp, what a ripoff! It wouldnt pull to max rpm I think because of fouled plugs, it should make 610 or so with a little more rpm. The only cheap cam you can get used is the Z06/LS6/LS2 cam, pullout cams from 2001-2004 Corvettes and Cadillac CTSVs. There used to be alot on the market evidently for cheap but I never could find one so I just bought a new one. From reading about it that LS6 cam should make about the same power as this one I put in. The stock cam is pretty impressive though it spools quick, makes tons of low end torque and made 518whp at the same boost at 5500rpm, thats where it peaks with decent boost. Maybe put the turbo engine in the Monza, you put it in the Firebird and it might lower the value, most these old car guys dont like turbos for some reason.
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby 2lucke4u » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:35 am

Rowdy
I'm still foggy on bov,and wastegate placement and hooking them up,do they get ported vac,or controled by a switch,or just boost pressure,never built a turbo motor before but I'm half in,parts are arriving this week,still need to buy the gates and bovs,trying to figure this out,wastegate is placed at the carb hat before the carb to bleed off boost when you close the throttle,and bov is in the hot side exhaust between the two manifolds? do i have it right? and do you need two bovs or is one fine,how did you plumb your turbo for cooling/oil,anything you can tell me would help,leaning towards the monza as it has a 4 inch cowl and the body is 100% rust free from down south,if you get a line on a cam let me know,been looking but nothing in this area,that may change in the next weeks as people start building projects over the winter,your help is appreciated,pm me your address
Charles
2lucke4u

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 am

STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:31 am

BOV is on the cold side and uses manifold vacuum, I use the full vacuum source on the bottom front of the carb (4150 style carb at least), what happens is when you close the throttle it pulls a vacuum and that pulls the BOV open venting the pressure backed up in the intake piping when the throttle is slammed shut, it keeps the turbo wheels/axles from being super stressed when it spikes pressure in the "closed" system at that point.

Wastegate goes to boost source, any source of boost pressure. The spring in the wastegate keeps it closed to a certain boost pressure, once that boost pressure is hit the wastegate starts opening venting exhaust pressure so it isnt spinning the turbo any faster than needed to get to what boost pressure you want.

These are better explanations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastegate

For the exhaust going into the turbo, you can keep it split into the turbine housing or join them and have them go in together, the S400 is "twin scroll" meaning it has the two holes on the turbine housing inlet instead of just one. If you keep it split, you'll need two wastegates, one on each side. If you join them then you can run one wastegate, a little bigger, that vents them both together. I kept mine split and have to run two small wastegates but I dont think it really does much, the turbo spools so fast it isnt needed and alot of people say it doesnt really do anything. Supposedly keeping them split makes the turbo spool slightly faster.

Wastegates are expensive and there are lots of different opinions on them. Them malfunctioning can spike your boost and burn up your engine, so alot of people wont use the Chinese knockoffs. Some good single ones to use if using only one would be JGS 50mm, Tial 44mm, Precision 46mm. The Precision 46mm is by far the cheapest but I think they might be chinese made, but Precision is a big company so I cant imagine they are bad. I have a Precision 39mm on my Monza, and another chinese knockoff, they both work, they should be matching wastegates but they work together fine. The JGS and Precision come with multiple springs to use for different boost settings, the more expensive Tial only comes with one for some reason. Tial is kind of known as the best of all of them but they all seem to work. You might be able to get away with a smaller cheaper gate like a JGS 40mm. If you put it on and it doesnt control your boost low enough for your liking, like lets say you can only go down to 10psi with it and you want to run 6psi(dont know why!) then you can always add a second gate. I personally wouldnt care about running below 10psi or so on my setup, so a single JGS 40mm would probably be enough, it just isnt as much fun once you've felt the insanity of 10psi and more.

Sorry for the long post, you'll get 100 different opinons on what wastegate to use, so take my rambling with a grain of salt.
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:34 am

My email address is hezekiahmunson at yahoo.com

Fasterthansome wrote:http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

There are alot of idiots and know it alls that dont know anything on that site, but if you read it knowing that, there is a TON of good info on that site also. That site is responsible for showing alot of people how to cobble together a well working turbo setup. You could spend weeks reading stuff on there. My username on there is hezekiahmunson.
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:22 pm

With that cam change it ran 10.7@145mph today at Atco. 9mph gain from just a cam is good! It ran a horrible 2.3 60 foot, just spun the crap out of the hole when the turbo came up. I need to get a boost controller so I can leave on almost no boost and then have it come in in 2nd.
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby HAULIN' IT » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 pm

WOW Rowdy, That thing is mighty impressive! Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby 2lucke4u » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:29 am

Rowdy
wow,,thats one heck of a mph,should be 9.50's with traction,what cam did you go with,,looking for a carb now to run e85,,parts still coming,,questions to follow,,
charles
2lucke4u

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:03 pm

It is Speed Inc TUO cam http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm?ca ... 0/%20Heads

It is really small 216/216 and .561 lift. I used PAC 1218 springs. Probably any small cam would work good.

Here is a video of the run, it spins like crazy and I get out of the throttle, thats what gave the horrible ET!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4s8tai2dvs
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby bjankuski » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:48 am

Very impressive. It is amazing what can be done with the LS engines these days.
bjankuski

Postby 2lucke4u » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:34 am

rowdy
what motor mounts did you use,looking for some now,lots of options out there,more pictures of the motor installed when you get a chance,pulley mounting stuff would be great,what idler did you use,how many pulleys and location,my corvette bracket is in the mail,are you running a high stall or stock,I have a 3000 sitting around,are you oiling the turbo from the back of the block or are you pumping it,does your return line go to the oil pan or valve cover? things are coming but slow as the holidays are eating my funds,,ho ho ho,
Charles
turbo arrived OMG it's almost 25lbs
2lucke4u

PreviousNext

Return to Drag Racing