rotary powered monza

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Re: rotary powered monza

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 pm

pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby Sirshredalot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Rotarys are SUCH a PITA!

Expensive to rebuild, expensive and hard to tune and maintain....the exhaust has to be .120+ because they love to puke flames on a downshift...EGT's in excess of 1400+ degrees are easy to do.

A well built and bridge-ported rotary can make lots of power and shoot SWEET flames...as well as burying the needle of a 10K tach before you shift....theyre impervious to boost and are lots of fun....although much like a blonde with huge boobs....fun to drive buy expensive to maintain.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 am

Sirshredalot wrote:Rotarys are SUCH a PITA!

Expensive to rebuild, expensive and hard to tune and maintain....the exhaust has to be .120+ because they love to puke flames on a downshift...EGT's in excess of 1400+ degrees are easy to do.

A well built and bridge-ported rotary can make lots of power and shoot SWEET flames...as well as burying the needle of a 10K tach before you shift....theyre impervious to boost and are lots of fun....although much like a blonde with huge boobs....fun to drive buy expensive to maintain.

God bless
-Shred

Just ask Hitler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsY4lEGRBI

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzajer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:41 am

Obviously Hitler was not a rotary fan at all,

"...it couldn't pull the panties of your drunken sister."

Oh man, what a hoot. :lol: Great link, Chuck, thanks for posting.
Last edited by monzajer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Re: rotory powered monza

Postby sz3gfj » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

meangreen73vega wrote:Has anyone done a rotory engine h-body?

I'm working on a rotary Sunbird project. The objective of the project is to create a vehicle that could have been a performance version (GTO or Trans Am-type vehicle) derived from a rotary powered Sunbird.

I've got the vehicle, and I know how to get the transplant done.... all I need is the cash to pull it off.

Here's an early concept rendering...
sz3gfj

Postby vegon71 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 pm

OK I got to ask,,,Im not at all familiar with the rotary engines but do they all smoke as bad as the one in the vid? If they did I wouldnt want one :lol: Oh by the way,,,very cool emblem :th:
vegon71

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby Kenova » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 pm

vegon71 wrote:......Im not at all familiar with the rotary engines but do they all smoke as bad as the one in the vid? If they did I wouldnt want one :lol: Oh by the way,,,very cool emblem :th:

If my memory is correct, it is necessary to inject/add oil to the fuel to lubricate the apex seals. They serve the same purpose as rings at the tips of the triangular rotor. Similar seals are used in air motors for air powered drills and such. They don't last long without oil either.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby fyrftr50 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:37 am

"You can help him by wearing a thong" Why Yes ... Yes you can!!!

PRICELESS!!!
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

Re: rotory powered monza

Postby tinsfci » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 pm

sz3gfj wrote:Here's an early concept rendering...

:th: :th: :th:
Looks very cool!
tinsfci

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:56 pm

This car has a rotary emblem 1974 GM press photo. (NOTE I am referring to this as a press photo for lack of better term - obviously this is not an image GM was releasing to the press.) here is a link to the seller of the photo. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT He has lots of photos but if you search his photos using chevrolet etc. you will see he has a variety of preproduction design/press photos. When I get the picture I will scan it and upload a high resolution image. The auction states the photo is from the detroit news archive.
As far as the trailer as being old, it looks period correct and heavy duty 8 wheels, built in winch and big enough to haul a semi tractor - something that Gm would have in my opinion.
The car is wearing manufacturers plates.
The headlights are round because the square headlights which were available in Europe at the time had yet to receive DOT approval. GM was not going to put headlights on a car that were not DOT approved. I defy you to find an American production car (pre-75) that has square headlights. I think the Monza and/or Monte Carlo were the first cars to use them in the U.S. http://classiccars.about.com/od/classiccarsaz/a/CarHeadlamps.htmThe hood does not have the hump.
The wheel covers do not have the stainless trim rings and the center cap has the bowtie black instead of the area around the bowtie being black as on the production car.

Admittedly having the emblem directly below my monitor helps me see the basic shape of the emblem in the pics. First print out the photo of the actual emblem from my first post and tape it to the monitor. Then expand the picture of the monza 200 - 400 % (300% works best on my monitor). You can see the triangular shape of the rotor. The lower right angle of the rotary emblem (red on the actual emblem) is easiest to see. less visible is the top of the triangle (yellow on the actual emblem) and even more difficult to see is the lower left of the triangular rotor shape ( blue on the actual emblem). You can see toward the upper left the half moon shape of the space between the crankshaft gear and the inner gear of the rotor ( black on the actual emblem). If you can make out the word CHAPPARELLE then you should be able to see the emblem.

Do you really think Mike Van Auken lied about the rotary emblem in the pics. Seems obvious to me that the low quality reprint that was necessary for a free newsletter is the only reason you or I cannot make out the emblem in the Registry newsletter. You cannot see the rotary emblem on the tailpanel on the monza body design which was in the H07 Registry but I do remember that you could make out the rotary emblem displayed on the fender of the white body with the 5 lug 10 hole rims.

The earliest printing of the parts catalog for the 75 Monza still has a few part numbers that are referenced as specific to the rotary engine which were mistakenly not deleted.

There is no great conspiracy here. Gm spent millions on this engine and had it not been for the oil embargo and an emphasis on fuel economy the Monza would have been rotary powered. The rotary program was not initially cancelled it was postponed.

The emblem was also on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT the seller has no idea what he has or seemed to care. the only reason he has it listed correctly as for a Monza is because he also had a spyder and bowtie emble for sale in adition to a variety of loose emblems which he gave away.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0555792192
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0550180246
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0548184022
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0548201026
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0548093828
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:52 am, edited 9 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby fyrftr50 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:46 pm

who's car? a press photo with a Monza on a car trailer? with round headlights?

You must have eagle eyes to see any style of emblem on that facia. I tried blowing it up and crisping the image and got nothing.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:56 am

see my edited post
monzaaddict

Postby autohistoryman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:47 am

I would agree that the trailer sure looks like something GM would own. Big, over the top design, looks like it was built on the trailer design of a new car hauler. Check out the front and rear holddown chains and the ajustable front wheel stops. This could have a carried a 21 foot long Caddy from the era no problems. :lol: By the 1980's GM was using roll backs with canvas covers or enclosed trucks so no chance to snap this spy shot for sale to the papers. This is definately not a press shot from GM, It is a caught on the street shot. The wheels are polycast units with detachable center caps not the crap plastic cover they offered for a few years. I understand the Monza H body bolt pattern polycast (Like the honycomb Firebird Trans Am) wheels are out there in the field, but the only set I ever touched are the ones on the silver XP-887 Vega with the SOHC motor which was discussed in a past thread. :D We had to experiment to find a center that would work, Ended up with somthing from a Chevelle sport steel wheel as IR. Paul
autohistoryman

Postby autohistoryman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:07 am

Emailed the pic file of the M plated Monza to retired Chevrolet guy (1966-2008) and he is almost certain the trailer was one of two that was used to shuttle vehicles between GM Proving Ground in Milford and the Chevrolet Enigineering Center in Warren, MI so it probably is a street spy shot. He says the worm drive gear on the winch is a dead give away to him along with the pushbutton on the battery box. Great photo thoug, never seen a Monza with round headlights b4 And I have seen a lot of GM Vega and Monza Photos Paul
autohistoryman

Postby fyrftr50 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:09 am

I wasn't suggesting a conspiracy theory, just had questions, sorry if it sounded otherwise.

As for Mike Van Auken, he is one guy I wish we could get a hold of. For all we know, when he used the term 'rotary emblem', he could have meant your emblem, or he could have meant 'round emblem'. I'm pretty sure i saw a photo of him and his Starfire GT a few years back taken from a local car show so I'm pretty sure he still has his Olds H-Body. I've been m,eaning for ages to search out an address and fire off snail mail in hopes of reconnecting. He had access to some awesome photos and history which hasn't been seen since.

I rechecked the photo like you suggested and I think I can vageuly see what your talking about. Certainly the red area and the black space in the rotary seem to be evident from the darker areas on the car photo and it certainly does not look like it could be the typical Chevrolet emblem we're all used to seeing. Is it me, or does it look flatter than the convex Chevy and Spyder emblems? My eyes are, admittedly, not what they used to be but I can see where your going with this.

Brian brought up great points in a PM suggesting a possible link to the original Pinanfarina designed Monza and this possibly being one of the phases/design changes that lead to the eventual production Monza.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

PreviousNext

Return to Factory Original Purist