Quick poll about For Sale forum

Moderator: Moderators

What should I do in the For Sale/Wanted forums?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:59 am

Delete all non-compliant threads on sight without warning.
13%
Delete all non-compliant threads after a 24 hour warning.
47%
Delete nothing. Issue warnings only.
13%
Delete nothing and make it Buyer Beware.
28%

Total votes : 47

Re: Quick poll about For Sale forum

Postby barebonesracecars » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Guys, I'm one of the early members of this site, but haven't been on so much in recent years. Got the car done in '06 and now it just sits in the garage where I can admire it. :D

Just a question out of curiousity: has there been much trouble with people scamming or being victimized on here? I've bought from and sold to several different guys on here, with only one relatively minor problem, which was probably just one of communication.

I voted for the "24-hour" rule, admittedly without even really being familiar with the posting rules as such, period. Sure would hate to find out that this friendly place has gone the way of eBay..... (and that's not meant to be a stab at Colin...he's always put alot into this site for us all)
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:57 am

barebones,
I don't think that the problem is our site degenerating. The problem is people get wind of "another place to sell their rare stuff" and people abuse the ability. I mean, Dennis and I have never asked for anything even though you guys make money selling stuff on here. The picture requirement is actually fairly common. I was just trying to get things in line with other sites on the 'net.

I think I'm going to go to a Buyer Beware format. When I upgraded the board last time I errantly removed the 25 post requirement. I'll put that hack back in, set up a Buyer Beware disclaimer and keep an eye on things. I never, ever buy anything from a forum unless the guy has over 500 posts. Posts = character, for the most part.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 am

ColinOpseth wrote:I never, ever buy anything from a forum unless the guy has over 500 posts.

Geebus! At the rate I post it will take me almost three years to reach that mark.
Then came the churches, then came the schools
Then came the lawyers, then came the rules
Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
And the dirty old track was the Telegraph Road.
Brian

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 am

I go with the assumption that most people are honest. I have done many deals on the net buying and selling and I can only remember one time I got scammed. That person got many of us maybe 4 or 5 years ago and we had a good long thread about him. If I remember right he did eventually get in trouble with the law.. I think he was down in Tennessee? Yeah, there are scams out there so it is a buyer beware thing for sure. Like many things in life we often take for granted we should give Colin & Dennis thanks for hosting this site for our H body addiction. Without their support we would not know each other or have a place to go to discuss our projects and thoughts about these rather rare cars. So, thanks for giving us this forum and making it a welcomed place to visit.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gregw98 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 am

If there is a spam, let the moderators delete it. Keep the ads open. The less rules, the better.
My biggest complaint with the Classifieds is that a member list a car he is parting out and asks, "who want what?", and never follows up on the request for the items wanted. Some ads are months old. I have requested parts and have never heard back from the member/seller. How about a "Suggestion Box" heading where we can unload any difficulties with the site.
gregw98

Postby wheeeedr1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:05 pm

If we start to have to many rules then pretty soon people just wont sell there stuff on here and people who need the parts wont get them, we all know parts are limited and we sometimes need to find some, im all for leaving it as is or just plain letting people sell sooner, buyer beware i guess. where do you vote cant find it?
wheeeedr1

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby sportster96blk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:36 pm

my problems have been with buyers not sellers, ordering things asking for shipping costs the hole 9 yards and not buying the items after asking to save them. i like minimum posts requirements ...................george
sportster96blk

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rhuber » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:35 pm

I agree with most of the comments about less is better. Now I am new to this forum but am glad I found it. I enjoy having the wealth of knowledge here. I like the ability to get hard to find parts specifically for the H-body on this site. I also have a large collection of parts for the H-body. I am not a big time seller, nor am I a huge conversationalist. It would take me a long time to even think about Colins 500 posts. Even the 25 posts will take me a while, but I understand the need for requirements.

Randy
rhuber

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cosworth0135 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:04 pm

i agree with most everyone else but i have been here a while even did a write up on using s10 disc brakes on the7.5 rear and don't think i have 500 posts, but maybe 25 to sell something and be a member to view. i didn't see where to place my vote but would have voted on the 24 hour line, i mean "we are all adults, and do know how to follow rules,like em or not ( if you want to sell these are the rules) but also agree with keeping it simple,when i have posted to the selling section it didn't cost me any money to follow the rules so i personally wouldn't ad anything to the cost of an item, and any time i purchase something i expect to pay for the shipping. i would expect any one who buys from me to know the same thing. Timmy (edited to ad i only have 295 posts but have plenty of character,Timmy)
Last edited by cosworth0135 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby EagleFish » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:49 pm

If we use any rules, they should be short and sweet - KISS.
Whatever the rules turn out to be, we MUST be CONSISTANT with enforcement otherwise, what is the point of having rules.

John and Richard
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby highstrungvega » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:06 pm

I don't want a whole bunch of junk that has nothing to do with nothing on the board. No warning needed just pull'em. As far as parts listing it is always buyer beware!
72 Coupe
71 Notchback selling
2013 Ford F150XLT company work truck
You learn more from doing it wrong the first time!
highstrungvega

Postby Vega2008 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 pm

:bang: If somebody wants to sell parts let em!

If somebody else wants to buy them let em!

I have some 1975 Vega Parts for sale myself, and I probably didn't follow the rules because I didn't know there were any until seeing this poll.

Geezy you guys, can't a fellow enthusiast sell his spare parts without big brother getting into it?

Or do we have to sell them all on eBay so you pay a ton more for them becuase everybody and his brother overbids them?

Just my two cents...I have spent so much on eBay parts I'm suprized my wife hasn't beaten on me yet.

Vega2008 - Mike
Vega2008

Postby SeniorSavage » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:40 pm

If I might add my two cents worth ...

I've been rodding cars for decades and even had a 76' Vega for awhile that I had to leave behind when I moved across the country to work. Now here I am 50 years old and trying to rebuild the shop I used to carry around with me when I was younger.

Whilst re-supplying the shop with tools I recently landed on a 75' Skyhawk and now just a week ago I found a running 80' Monza coupe that I hope to use the engine from. Joining this group came next but that leaves me with a whole rolling carfull of parts for people here and the rules state I cannot post them? Monetary requirements state that I must put them for sale somewhere and I'd really rather do it here so I hope the moderators see fit to let me post my parts for sale here. I'm going to be around for a very long time and I'll help everyone here as much as I can, whenever I can.

cheers,
Darrin
The fleet;
1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V6 turbo - total restore ongoing (soon!)
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36' Ford 460 TBI motorhome
2004 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 88ci 1450cc. - custom original.
2005 Ford 500 Limited (wife's car) - working original.
2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LS VorTec 4200
SeniorSavage

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby FLCosworthdude1997 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:48 am

I am restoring a Cosworth Vega and need all kinds of parts!!! Why should I be restricted from the 'for sale' forum??? :shock: I read alot of the posts about subjects concerning my project, but do not comment/post much--why should that matter?
I agree with this:
gotmud7 wrote:
I think if someone has a H-body part and stumbles on this site, they should be able to try and sell it. I don't really care if they want to hang around, or if they just want to clean out the shop of old Vega parts. Mark
I would like a chance to buy parts like these!
Please open the for sale section to all of us...
THANKS,
Jerry :bang:
FLCosworthdude1997

Postby Justa 6 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:22 pm

classic_cruiser wrote:I agree with the "buyer beware", leave all posts as is approach. Adding more rules does little to protect the buyer anyway, as ultimately the negotiation is between the buyer and seller, not this website. It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure the deal is legit.

Agreed... parts for our Hbodys R gettin hard to find. This is the place to find possable leads on parts. I JUSTA posted a rear spoiler for a friend that I'm still waiting on photos. I would make sure they were right before before forwarding anyone contact info. I think we are all old enough to POLICE ourselves on what we put on the table for other H-body members. :th:
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY SCREAMING, WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Justa 6

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical and Wiring