Winter downtime...

Moderator: Moderators

Winter downtime...

Postby 122Vega » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Anyone have big plans for their race cars over the winter?

I'm redesigning my oil pump and evacuation system once more before switching to dry sump, dumping the Weber carbs and going back to Hilborn injection, changing rear gears and trans gears... A set of Overkill upper and lower arms, K frame... Let's see, hydraulic clutch, triple disc clutch, aluminum drive shaft...

I guess I better get started!
122Vega

Re: Winter downtime...

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:50 pm

I bought a Miata! Gotta switch shocks, fluids, tires, add a roll bar and belts, bolt the hardtop down. Looking forward to next season!

Can we get some photos of your Hilborns and oiling system mods when you're done?

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby mastiff » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm only gonna have time for the 77 this winter. the wife's camaro needs some things done also. first is the 5 lug swap on the front, rear has been done. then check engine ( came with the car ). gaskets, seals, rings, bearings and clean and paint. put a swivel on the pick-up tube for oil and baffels in float bowls for carb ( both to keep from starvation. take care of chips in paint and repaint engine bay and body. not doing the complete tare down on car like my 78 till I get the 78 completed. the body has no rust just repainting to keep it that way. then wheels and tires, already have wheels I hoping will do what I want, if not I'll only have to buy 2 for the rear. torgue thrust d's. I have a set of 5 stacked in the garage that I've had for years. came off a vette ( not my vette ). then seals and gaskets on trans and rear end, maybe a true trac possi set up. not sure if change gear ratio or not 3.92 right now might go 3.31 or 2.73 to keep from smokin tires so much off start and gettin second ( the only 2 I use at course I go to ) I might do some other stuff that I catch while working on it, but that's all I plan for now.
Doug
(Mastiff)
mastiff

Postby bugdewde » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:55 am

'73 Wagon autocrosser/playtoy:

--Awaiting Overkill Upper and Lower front control arms (economy version with anti-sway bar mounts). I haven't removed the stock control arms yet..... I hear it's gonna be a real pain in the rear.
--Front bushing replacement (rubber, I think)
--Some bigger anti-sway bars and shortened/stiffer springs
--Convert to 3-link/torque arm (already have 7.5" rear/parts)
--S-10 spindles and axle shafts for 5 lug conversion
--Bigger Brakes up front (S-10 ?)
--Rear disc brakes
--Obviously a master cylinder upgrade (?)
--Battery area and Spare Tire area Rust repair
--Fuel Tank cleaning and Fuel Pump replacement
--Door swap....located a nice pair locally
--Install a low compression, 150 hp, Buick 215 V8 and T-50 5-speed
* Note: Eventual plans to go with a stroked 215 using a Buick 300 crank getting displacement up to 260.... and eventually a T-5 5-speed with a 0.63 overdrive.

Basically, just trying to get it under it's own power to play with and then ........
the '73, mostly stock, GT Hatchback resto (man, it keeps getting pushed further back each year) :rolleyes: .

Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby RockDaddy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:30 pm

I burned most of the last year changing the car and only ran it 2 times this year to test. Its now down again and I have some plans.

Finish interior
Paint underside
New large cowl hood
Some paint
Maybe a vacuum pump
Install my tubular A arms a bought a while ago.
Image;Image

Thx to Billy Briggs and the guys at http://www.motorcityspeedonline.com
RockDaddy

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby bugdewde » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:05 am

bugdewde wrote:'73 Wagon autocrosser/playtoy:

--Awaiting Overkill Upper and Lower front control arms (economy version with anti-sway bar mounts). I haven't removed the stock control arms yet..... I hear it's gonna be a real pain in the rear.
--Front bushing replacement (rubber, I think)
--Some bigger anti-sway bars and shortened/stiffer springs
--Convert to 3-link/torque arm (already have 7.5" rear/parts)
--S-10 spindles and axle shafts for 5 lug conversion
--Bigger Brakes up front (S-10 ?)
--Rear disc brakes
--Obviously a master cylinder upgrade (?)
--Battery area and Spare Tire area Rust repair
--Fuel Tank cleaning and Fuel Pump replacement
--Door swap....located a nice pair locally
--Install a low compression, 150 hp, Buick 215 V8 and T-50 5-speed
* Note: Eventual plans to go with a stroked 215 using a Buick 300 crank getting displacement up to 260.... and eventually a T-5 5-speed with a 0.63 overdrive.

Basically, just trying to get it under it's own power to play with and then ........
the '73, mostly stock, GT Hatchback resto (man, it keeps getting pushed further back each year) :rolleyes: .

**Already swapped out the rusty doors for some nice ones..... even have good weather stripping ans sweeps...... they're GREEN!
**Jason's front economy upper and lower control arms are here....they look AWESOME!.... awaiting removal of stock arms. Can't decide if this car is gonna have rubber bushings(already purchased) or if I want poly bushings. I hate squeaking bushings but think they might be better for the autocross track.
**An '86 model Non-world class T5 arrived from an ebay purchase... without a shifter. If I use it, I'll have to fab up a crossmember to fit..... as well as a torque arm to fit if I do the 3-link conversion. I definitely want to do the 3-link conversion so I can use the 7.5" rear I have to accept some S-10 axle shafts inorder to get 5-lug wheels.
**Dug out some front valance pieces I had from the '73 parts car and a recent pull-a-part find. Looks like I might be able to bond these pieces together to make another '73 lower valance.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Not a race car but my main plans for the spring (car is packed away for the winter) are to replace my aging Hays clutch and work on getting the correct geometry on the clutch fork. Also want to replace the trans fluid in the Saginaw, shift shaft seals, rear seal as well as replace all the shifter bushings on the Hurst shifter.
Having a correct clutch fork angle is something I recently stumbled upon and it's something I believe is very important that I have been overlooking. It seems my clutch pedal has been getting stiffer over the years. I have been adjusting the ball stud on the bellhousing as the clutch disc wears which changes the geometry of the fork in a negative way. Hope to share more info as I get into it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Road Racing and AutoX