wheel tub install

Moderator: Moderators

wheel tub install

Postby 406vega » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 pm

anybody got any tips or suggestions on tub installation? it looks like extreme patience is the main tool. :?
406vega

Re: wheel tub install

Postby megavega » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 pm

actually they are not too bad to do, best thing I can tell you is to use the cardboard first and measure every 1 inch around the quarter panel from your frame rail on inside, transfer all the measurements and this will give you your radius to cut the the tub to, will butt right up to the taper and form of the quarter panel. I have someone there with me and they write down the measurements on a lined tablet as I say them out loud. Then I tranasfer them to the cardboard, the test fit it after I trim to the measurement lines. I also usually will either tack or clamp the inner panel to the frame rail/floor and use it to measure from to the quarter panel. You can pre mark the inner peice every 1 inch around the radius to help you move along easier. It does take time but the more and closer you measure around there the better the fit. When you get it all in the car you just use a nice bead of either seam sealer or the windshield type rtv/100% type silicone to seal it to the body.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby HAULIN' IT » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 am

My first choice would be to make another half moon similar to the inboard one & attach it to the bottom few inches of the original outer wheelhouse. This gives you an "airgap" between the outer quarter so there is no chance of the wheeltub shaking anything out in the middle of the quarter panel & protect from a banking stone off of the tire, ect. but few guys want to go to the bother. On to plan B
A very simple tool to make & a simple idea, but is VERY helpful is a 3" long piece of 1" wide steel, plastic, heavy paint stir stick, ect....one end grind to a blunt point, drill a 1/8" hole in from the point a 1/2", insert a 1" long or so screw (grind off the point flush with the backside) 2" from there drill an other 1/8" hole.
As Mega mentioned, clamp the half moon part where it needs to go & measure from there out to the quarter panel in several key places & cut the cardboard. Tape it to the half moon, insert a pencil in the hole on your stick...holding the screw with one hand & the pencil with the other, follow along the quarter panel with the pointed end. This will give you a line drawn the exact contour needed. Remove the cardboard, lay flat & reverse the tool (follow the point on the line you just drew)...this will be the actual outside of the wheeltub. I would add 1/2" to this line & cut your metal then notch every inch or so in to the drawn line & fold the tabs upward to give you a nice, flat surface for the sealant. My Two Cents, hope it helps! Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby prolsc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Here you go this should help you out :D http://cachassisworks.com/Stories/HowCAC-007_WEB.pdf
prolsc

Postby OldGuy 72Vega » Sun May 27, 2012 8:17 am

This site will help you out also. :th:

http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu
Joe
OldGuy 72Vega

Postby 406vega » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 pm

havent been able to get on here in a while,but would like to thank you all for the advise.it came in very handy and the end result looked pretty good,esp for me doin it.lol. the car is running now and has been a best of 6.35 in the 1/8th,with no tuning as of yet.trying to get it painted this winter and hopefully have more to report .this thing is a blast and way more fun than my nova. again thanks.
406vega

Return to Racing Chassis