New to site, recent 79 Monza Spyder purchase

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

New to site, recent 79 Monza Spyder purchase

Postby mdwracer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm

I just bought a 1979 Monza Spyder hatchback from the estate of the deceased original owner , white in color- with mostly original paint and all graphics, and 33,000 original miles on it. It is totally stock , except for an Autopower rollbar installation and some SCCA tracktime in showroom stock class from long ago. It is an amazing find and is very solid in my opinion from over 25 years of storage!!!
First questions:
Where do the bodies seem to rust and where do they need to me improved when restored?
Are brake upgrades common, where can you source parts?
What is done to upgrade rear Diff, what is my stock ratio ? What manual trans do I have and how strong are they?
Can I find an aftermarket rear spoiler and front spoiler in fiberglass mine are warped?
Who has reproduction taillights?
Thanks, this is the first of many questions on my project....
Mike W
mdwracer

Re: New to site, recent 79 Monza Spyder purchase

Postby cosworth0135 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 pm

no one will respond to your questions without pictures first Mike,, just razzing you , but some pics will be liked by all , your first stop needs to be the FAQ in the library on the sites home page many of your questions will be answered there then feel free to ask any remaining questions here in the forum, and we as a group will give out the best answer possible, as far as re-pop parts for us ,, uh ,,, nope, but you can find tail lights on ebay and craigs list, rust spots , front of lower control arm in rear and drivers floor pan seem to be hot spots and on vegas under windshield someone else will put more , but welcome to the bestest hbody place on the whole internet.. TImmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby Kenova » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:19 pm

mdwracer wrote:I just bought a 1979 Monza Spyder hatchback from the estate of the deceased original owner , white in color- with mostly original paint and all graphics, and 33,000 original miles on it. It is totally stock , except for an Autopower rollbar installation and some SCCA tracktime in showroom stock class from long ago. It is an amazing find and is very solid in my opinion from over 25 years of storage!!!
Mike W

It wouldn't surprise me if your Monza already has a few tricks done to it. A very carefull inspection is recommended.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:39 am

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Is that spyder from NY? There recently was a white 79 for sale around here..

If yours is a 4speed its a saginaw and will take some abuse... if it's a 5 speed, it's good for daily driving, but unfortunately any serious power will render it useless...

Best of luck.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby mahoy78spyder » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Pics!... Need pics!... :lol:

Hey welcome to the club... you're in the right place.
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby mdwracer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Here is a picture to view:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdwracer

Postby mdwracer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Here is a second picture:
photo[3].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdwracer

Postby mdwracer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:42 pm

The car is extremely solid and straight, has 33k original miles, although pretty rough in appearance. The interior is very good and mold free. The car is very original down to the exhaust converter, all engine mechanicals,seats,brakes,guages, etc. Wheels have been changed for sure, but unaware of what wheels should be. It has a bolt in Autopower rollbar (not cage), and was raced in a few SCCA showroom stock class races.
I am open to suggestions on how car should be put back on road: as race car, or as original steet car with roll bar, Thoughts...
mdwracer

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Looks like a decent car to start with. As to what to do with it that is really a decision you should make, it's your car. Some people like to keep them stock while others like myself prefer a more modified car, just depends on the individual. Or, you could keep its' heritage and build it as a SCCA replica for something truly different (as though these cars aren't different enough). :lol:
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cosworth0135 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 pm

can't say i have ever been sold on a bolt in roll bar, weld in a real one if your going to keep one (just my opinion),Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby Nocash » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:36 am

Restomod!
My Cars:
1977 Chevy Monza Sport 2+2 / 5.7 Liter
Nocash

1977 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 am

Thats a REALLY cool spyder.

I like that it's so well preserved..that is getting super scarce... I'd be hard pressed to change thet original stuff if it still functioned correctly..but thats just me. If you do change stuff, the parts might be wanted by others with lower mileage models.

I like how it's SCCA prepped too... That was my favorite thing to do with my red spyder, and I competed with it for a season or 2 in the mid 90's. Mine however didn't get the extra event stickers like yours which I think look's super cool on the car. These cars always did well in SCCA classes. If I found your car, I'd be bringing it back to nice, just as it is.

The factory wheels would have been Steel "RallyII" rims, or Aluminum "Round Hole" rims... These were called 'mirage' wheels sometimes see them here...

http://monza.homestead.com/wheels.html

Let us know if you find a buildsheet... 79's didn't use the plastic seat backing like the earlier models which hid a sheet there. Should be one (or more) under the carpet, in the foot wells, at 33k miles it could still be intact..
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby mdwracer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm

I am starting to look for parts to restore this car. I am going to get all the pieces for the outside, prefit, then full disassemble car and have the unibody blasted, bodywork done, primed, and repainted factory white, with all original style decals.
Here is my list list so far:
1) front and rear bumper assembly , original or a good fiberglass reproduction available? used core support for radiator mounting also needed.
2) front and rear spoilers -fiberglass available?
Mike
mdwracer

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:05 pm

mdwracer wrote:2) front and rear spoilers -fiberglass available?

Rear spoiler on eBay.

All three pieces, primed and ready to go.
Then came the churches, then came the schools
Then came the lawyers, then came the rules
Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
And the dirty old track was the Telegraph Road.
Brian

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 pm

There is really nothing available any longer in fiberglass. Dobi used to make some but they have been out of business (at least H body's) for a long, long time. All that's really available are used ones and it's not easy to find one that is in decent condition. The one I have listed is one of the nicest you are likely to find.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Next

Return to General Discussion