1972 Vega Pro Touring Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1972 Vega Pro Touring Project

Postby Kenova » Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 am

Hey, another right hand drive conversion (see second last pic.) :mrgreen:
It must be all that Australian influence. :lol:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby megavega » Tue May 29, 2012 6:20 pm

I am not sure how I managed to transpose that last pic Ken....LOL

Well I did find a couple mins to finish up the fusebox move and mount my wilwood master cylinder for the hyd. clutch, with the banjo fitting and the braided hose I can snake it up and over the brake master and get it away from the downpipe from the turbo. I first welded in a thin peice of sheetmetal to the opening, then ground it smooth. Then,I added a peice of .075" steel to help stiffen up the firewall over top, plus my rollcage front strut tube will pass thru this plate and be welded to it all the way around(marked on pic). I plan on removing the engine /trans once I get the headers fabbed up and most everything shoehorned into place. Will be then going over the whole firewall welding where needed and smoothing it all out while its out so I can make it really smooth with some body filler and feather fill primer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cosworth0135 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 pm

glad to see you back at it Don
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby highstrungvega » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 am

Just got done reading your project journal. I so feel like a hack :th: great job and I hope you can get some stuff done :dance:
72 Coupe
71 Notchback selling
2013 Ford F150XLT company work truck
You learn more from doing it wrong the first time!
highstrungvega

Postby jdascout » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:09 pm

So that;s Oasis Green then I will stop calling it ugly green, that's what I call mine. And i guess cleaned up it's not so bad. My first Vega was a 1973 GT Green metallic, 2nd a red 1975 GT, now fill in the gap a 1974. And the tile is yellow with black lettering VEGA, very basic.
jdascout

Postby megavega » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 pm

I worked on the car for about 2 hrs tonight, before I got to this point I was looking at doing the dr.side header and ran into a consideration before I got too far with the headers, "What about the intercooler clearance?? After looking over the room up front I came to the conclusion I would be better off using 2 small intercoolers instead of 1 large one in front of the radiator. With the small area to place a radiator in these cars it seemed to fit better and it will also not add more heat to the radiator of the car, so the cars cooling system can work on cooling the engine without added air from the intercoolers preheating the radiator.

I picked out behind the cars original turn signals to place the intercoolers. Will relocate the turn signals to another location later. The hole in the valance is large enough to feed the intercoolers and I also am using a lower front spoiler so the air flow thru them should be excellant. I will place stainless screen in the holes from behind to keep out unwanted entry of foreign objects.

I managed to pick up a set of small intercoolers built originally for a 300zx twin turbo, they are about the perfect size and a nice 3 inchs thick. They were just about bolt ons except the one angled nozzle will need to be cut and welded 90 degrees from its present location, so that will be pretty easy to make them work. Here I have rough fit them and got the location "close" to where they will be. I have some minor trimming to do to make them level and fit nice to the car. I also will make a small funnel/angle peice of aluminum to mount inside the turn signal hole in the lower valance to force the air up and thru the intercoolers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

megavega

Postby megavega » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Installing these was pretty easy, the battery tray like most vegas was eatin up in my car, so trimming the pass side went really fast removing the pin holed material. Trimmed out the dr. side next after test fitting the pass side and was all good!

megavega

Postby megavega » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Once I got all the old metal out of the way they dropped right in. I will make a bracket and weld to the sides of the frame rail to support the intercoolers, made one from cardboard to get the rough idea. test fitted a chunk of old broken valance up to fender to eyeball the air flow thru turn signal hole.

megavega

Postby megavega » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:57 pm

The intercoolers can go towards the outside of the car more because they have angled side tanks, they merely hit the side marker light housings,and they also just barely touch the fenders inner lip, which can easily be trimmed as its behind the valance panel seam. I am thinking of cutting the marker light housing protrusion off and hot gluing small led bulbs to the housings flat surface, this would gain me more then a 1/2" to slide the intercoolers toward the fender and put the hole in the lower valance where the turn signal was more to the center. I likely dont have a entire 1/2" before I touch the fender sides but would give me wiggle room to play with!

I also came up with a plan for the turn signals, since I have not yet finished my new split bumpers, I will mill a 3/8" slot in the front and add a led amber strip to the inside of the bumper, should look pretty slick when done. I also have to make new outside brackets for the bumpers, but that looks pretty simple from the bottomside view anyhow.

megavega

Postby gmagilla » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Do you have to make a shroud to derect all the air through the cooler or is that not necessary on turbo coolers ? I like the signal in the bumper :th:
gmagilla

Postby megavega » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Gil, do you mean like a air duct?, kinda like this?

I am gonna make a part just like this out of thin sheet metal fit in there and paint it same color as body so it wont be noticeable on the inside edges of lower valance panel.

megavega

Postby gmagilla » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:19 am

Thats what I was thinkin , getting all the air to go through , only more of a funnel shape but not much room back there for all that .
gmagilla

Postby waybad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey Megavega,, any more progress.. just went through you whole thread AGAIN!! this is a sweet build :th:
Tinker
Tinker
waybad

Postby waybad » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:00 am

bump for udates?? :dance:
Tinker
waybad

Postby garysol1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:00 am

Another bump!!
garysol1