GM Dealer-sold IMSA Monza

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: GM Dealer-sold IMSA Monza

Postby Biscayne John » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey Guys, GREAT STUFF
I have something to contribute.

On page 8 of the thread there is listing of the GM part numbers. These numbers appear in Chevrolet Power Second Edition Catalog printed in the spring of 1976 There was a First Edition print in 1975 I have not been able to find it. The second edition is common and found on E-bay. These are GM publications and there is a sketch of a 75-76 Monza 2+2 showing the panels which are identical to the one on page 1 of this thread. Also on the back cover is a color picture or 1975 All American Monza (#1 White with the blue and red stripes) There is a paragraph under the sketch that states

"The panels were developed in a full scale wind tunnel where the overall vehicle drag coefficient was reduced more than 24% compared to the regular production Monza while providing significant vehicle anti-lift forces"

I will get this scanned and posted

I really enjoyed the Auto-Show photo, I worked many years in "show biz" and put many an Auto Show in in NYC. I do want to point out that the cars were always supplied by local dealers even the pace cars and such. The cars that were traveling with the show were always roped off or on a turntable, to keep the hads off. I remember when I bought my 92 Roadmaster Wagon the deal was made on the load in of the show. The car had to go to Body Shop of the dealer for touch up because of all the scrathes before we could take delivery. They told me that was the norm due to everyone touching it.
Biscayne John

Postby stage169 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:54 pm

John sent me the scans from his Chevrolet Power Service Manual! Thank's John!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stage169

Postby stage169 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Hey John if you get a resto pak from GM Canada give them a heads up you have a Mirage. I guess the ZX1 RPO is located in a different place from the rest but at least now they know where to look. Brian
stage169

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:28 pm

The first shot below is on the front of the First Edition, the second shot is the back.

Dic

[attachment=0]sc005665c2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]sc005646ed.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Rborecky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm

I found this while looking for the Trans Am. I own the Wide Body Fiero built by DGP and have been in contact with the orignal Owner for about 8 years. The shop was in Brown Michigan and all of the GM design guys used to meet up at the plant to built their own Ideas that they were not allowed to do at GM. Let me know what if any questions you may have and I will ask Bob and get back to you. He may have some photos of the cars I seen talked about in the beginning of this thread. Here are a few pictures. I also linked a Video of John Callies who I have become friends with from Pontiac Motor sports back in the day talking a bit on the shop. Rick B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrxjNH0Ahc

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/9017/69v2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img198/482/9a2z.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/1600/xs1r.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/4793/ko0.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/5983/dgpcar2.jpg
Rborecky

Postby stage169 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:45 am

Hey Rick thanks for joining! For me our first question that started the thread would be a good one to ask those guys. See if they know if any 1975 Chevy Monza's were ever delivered with the IMSA body panels.

You with your car? Cool!
stage169

Postby Rborecky » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 am

Will do after work today and yes that is me with the car. The lady is Judy Landers who was in many shows back in the day. Night Rider, Vegas, BJ and the Bear for starters. My car was a Prototype One-Off GM wanted built to see if the Race car they had built in 1982 { just over a year before the 1st Fiero rolled off the production line} could be mounted on the standard car. My car was an Emissions test car that John Callies had in his car corral. I could go on and on how they snuck and did things like this behind GM's back in order to get them done. Bob Birchmier who owned DGP refused to build anymore Prototypes for GM unless he could own the car. He was tired of the red tape and how a car would be outdated by the time he got the go aheads for ideas. Mine is one of the only titled street driveable Prortypes around. Rick B
Rborecky

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:18 am

Rick,
Are you in the Detroit area? I think that's where the 25th Anniversary get-together was held.
Dick
hammerdown7

Postby Rborecky » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Nope I am in Hinckley, Ohio. I was at the 25th but will not be going to the 30th which is in Indianapolis this weekend. To much going on at this time. I would actual like to sell this so someone else could enjoy it a bit instead of it being locked in my Barn most of the time. It has 26,000 miles which isn't bad. I still have a pace Car Fiero to finish up and haven't touched it in 5 years. I own all the records for them and the actual track cars used. I own WWW.FieroPaceCar.com and verify the cars build and if it was at Indy in 1984 and who drove it. Rick B
Rborecky

Postby Rborecky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Talked to the owner of the Old DGP today for a brief minute as I was running and he was out of town. Another of his creations is up for auction http://auctionsamerica.com/events/featu ... egory=Cars
He got going about all of the Monza stuff he did and spitting out many names. I told him when I was not in my car and we both had some time I would like to get everything he had on them so just wanted to let folks know I had not forgotten about this thread. He did build for for race then was hired to put the bodies together to fit the stock car. I told Bob I need to get together and put a book together of all the work he did. He feels it was just a job. Rick B
Rborecky

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Description raises some questions, estimate seems quite low.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby stage169 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 pm

•Unique special project by GM, would be neat to see the history behind it. Price does seem low?

Rick that would be cool to get Bob's story on the Monza. Hope you get that chance soon! Brian
stage169

Postby Rborecky » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Quick note, this was the car that went up for auction like I said. It was originally built for John Callies of Pontiac Motor Sports who worked at GM from 1978 to 1988. It was the Stage 3 and later he then sent it back to DGP who rebodied to a stage 4. John kept it at the Proofing grounds in Arizona. Told you I have allot of DGP's stuff now when I can get Bob to send more on the Monza I will post. By the way my buddy won this Fiero and now owns 4 of GM's cars that are not allowed to be titled or driven on the street. Rick B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isCYUU2D ... DvO1VV0Dyw
Rborecky

Postby T-FATTY » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

I remember the gold/white Fiero on e bay it went for cheap money. N ice.
T-FATTY

Postby stage169 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:32 am

Sold for $ 3,520 !!! Wow!

stage169

PreviousNext

Return to Best Of