PCV Valve Set Up (Perhaps best of both worlds)

Moderator: Moderators

PCV Valve Set Up (Perhaps best of both worlds)

Postby dadhad1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:42 pm

So, wanted to pick a few brains here...
I'm currently running open breathers on both VCs on my sm block Chevy motor.
I'm getting a little sick of the whiffs of the crankcase fumes while driving, so I was thinking I'd want to put a PCV on it to rid of it.
Then, there's the position of steering away from using PCV valves because of the unwanted oil build up that will get into the intake runners/valves over time.
I know they make oil breather tanks, but didn't want to go that route either.

I'm going to try plumbing a small Wilkerson Coalescing De-Oiling filter used for compressed air filtering applications.
I plan to route the PCV tube from 1 VC to the inlet of the filter and the outlet to manifold vacuum and keep my existing breather on the other VC.
Seems like it should work OK, kind of best of both worlds (ridding of the unwanted odor with good crankcase ventilation and not impacting the motor).

Anyone try anything like this or have success with anything else along these lines.

Thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Re: PCV Valve Set Up (Perhaps best of both worlds)

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:50 pm

I've seen a lot of 5.0 Mustang guys do this and they say it works. They mount them on the firewall and drain them as needed. If I remember correctly, they said they were getting oil smoke and wanted to be rid of it.
Wizeguyrc

Postby T-FATTY » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:01 pm

^^^ Also known as a catch can. ^^^
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:10 pm

monzaaddict

Postby dadhad1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:33 am

That is pretty cool monza addict, is a bit pricy though. Thanks for posting.
The filter I order hopefully will do the same thing and it's only $55.
It has a 4 oz catch bowl on it with drain, so it shouldn't fill it too quickly.

Thanks
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

dadhad1

Postby dadhad1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:37 am

That is pretty cool monza addict, is a bit pricy though. Thanks for posting.
The filter I order hopefully will do the same thing and it's only $55.
It has a 4 oz catch bowl on it with drain, so it shouldn't fill it too quickly.

Thanks
Mike

dadhad1

Postby chevyart » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 pm

hey dad. good idea to use catch can. look at this company and their diagram on how theirs works. they use a brillo type filter. dont know what type of filter material the one you are getting uses. steel type filter seems like best choice for filtering oil.lots of good posts on SPEED TALK forums om this subject and another part of the problem you should address is the PCV valve you will use. they make many different ones and some are even adjustable. if you have any sort of cam in your car, then vacuum(and lack 0f it) comes into the equation. the pcv valve affects your idle and idle is affected by vacuum. Summitt make a pcv valve for a 70 camaro with the big off road cam(low cacuum reading) that would be a good start) for your car if you have any sort of cam. if you would like to see all the posts on speed talk, i will tell you how to find them art
chevyart

Postby chevyart » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:11 pm

hey dad. good idea to use catch can. look at this company and their diagram on how theirs works. they use a brillo type filter. dont know what type of filter material the one you are getting uses. steel type filter seems like best choice for filtering oil.lots of good posts on SPEED TALK forums om this subject and another part of the problem you should address is the PCV valve you will use. they make many different ones and some are even adjustable. if you have any sort of cam in your car, then vacuum(and lack 0f it) comes into the equation. the pcv valve affects your idle and idle is affected by vacuum. Summitt make a pcv valve for a 70 camaro with the big off road cam(low vacuum reading) that would be a good start) for your car if you have any sort of cam. if you would like to see all the posts on speed talk, i will tell you how to find them art
chevyart

Postby dadhad1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Hey Art, yeah thanks for the tips.
I have one that I can try. If I get a manifold vacuum leak at idle with this one, I will have to go with one like that or with a lighter 'close it' spring in it.
I get between 9-10 inches of vac at idle now, so it's not off the charts radical.

I'll follow up with a post and report back how it goes...

Mike

dadhad1

Postby chevyart » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 pm

dad your vacuum reading is definitely within reason, so no special pcv vale should be needed. ill be curious to see how much oil you trap in the catch can, i always hated the thought of just letting all that oil and oily fumes go into a nice engine. good luck art
chevyart

Postby Bullet » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:52 pm

I cut a couple smog tube check valves off with about 6" of pipe on each one and welded them into my exhaust just past where the pipes level out, use heater hose and connect them to breather pipes coming out of each VC. It will pull a good vacuum and you'll be rid of any fumes. If you live where it has to pass smog, that would be the kicker. It's basically the same as the evac systems you can buy at Jeg's and Summit that comes with two Mopar style breathers with boneyard parts.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-120108/overview/
Bullet

Postby Bullet » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh yeah, make SURE you are running valve covers with baffles before installing a PCV valve of any kind or you will quickly find your oil pan going dry, seen it done.
Bullet

Postby chevyart » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 pm

hey bullett good idea, but i dont think you are not suppose to run that setup through mufflers, if indeed that is what you are suggesting. from what i recall it is a very bad idea. maybe someone will chime in just why it is a bad idea. art
chevyart

Postby MonzaRacer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:21 pm

I would just use regular name brand is ac delco, echlin from Napa, etc valve for your engine and make sure its centered under carb. Baffled valve covers are also mandatory.
When working on more exotic cars, say show cars etc I make simple oil separator from 12" piece of 2" PVC.
Usually pack it with 0000 steel wool half way up. Dril and tap 1/4 npt hole in bottom glued cap and install radpetc ock. Then drill about 6 " up and tap and add 3/8 nipple with 1/4 npt fitting. Add another fitting in unglued cap you can use 90 if ya want.
This is used as vapor catch can , allows unburnt oil too settle out but burnt vapors or blow by to be pulled into engine.
Run hose from vc to this catch can then too carb/intake.
Honestly I haven't had any issues running pcv in performance engines for last 30+ yrs.
MonzaRacer

Postby MonzaRacer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Here is a proper PCV valve. http://mewagner.com/?p=444 bit cheaper and much better at properly controlling crankcase vapors!
MonzaRacer

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech