Spencerforhire latest Vega race report

Moderator: Moderators

Spencerforhire latest Vega race report

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Strange how changing a few little things can have big results. On Friday night I decided to try out an MSD crank trigger setup I've had for a couple of months but never got a chance to use yet this year. Wow; the car idles smoother and picked up big time on the top end. MPH # is now 142.53 up from 139.83. Almost 3 MPH is nothing to sneeze at; the math says that's 30+HP. Also, I've been starting to have traction issues with the car lately, but wasn't sure exactly what the problem was. Car went hard right at launch both Friday night time trials; as it turns out I had one Hoosier slick "going bad". No other way to describe it; one slick picks up rocks as you roll it through the pits and the other does not. Still have some wear holes left in them and they're worn evenly, but one has lost it's "stiction". I had bought a new pair of M/T 14.5x32's on Thursday, but ran out of time and didn't get them mounted before I left. Glad I took them with me; mounted them on Saturday morning and immediately the car launched harder and straighter.
Between the new tires and the crank trigger, this weekend the Vega ran it's best 60ft time, 1/8 ET and MPH, 1/4 ET and MPH yet this year. Too bad I couldn't cut a light this weekend; had a couple in the .512-.517 range during time trials, but when it came down to competition I was all over the place and even had a .458 red. Really not sure where that one came from; I can count on one hand the reds I've had this year.
Although I personally didn't have the best weekend, it wasn't a complete loss; a friend of mine who lists "Spencerforhire Automotive" as one of his sponsors won all the marbles on Saturday, winning the Big Buck Box Gamblers with a .500 light in the final AND the King of the Hill against the No-Box winner.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Spencerforhire latest Vega race report

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Another weekend of racing over with, again with mixed results; I was #1 qualifier and went on to win the Super Rod(9.90) heads up event on Saturday afternoon, but went red in the first round in both the Saturday night "Box" bracket race and Sunday's regular program. Vega was running in the 9.72 range all weekend and had a tough time trying to slow it down for the 9.90 race; took out a bunch(8 deg.) of timing and moved the shift point down to 6000 instead of the usual 6500. All than did was slow it to 9.78. So I had to resort to lifting 2 cones from the finish line(1100ft). That gave me a safe 9.91-9.93 and it did the trick. Track photographer got an awesome starting line shot of the car; all I have for now is an "8x12 glossy", but he's going to email me a digital copy. I'll post it soon.
In the meantime, I'm on vacation, chilling at my cottage, and looking forward to racing next weekend in Prince Edward Island; I've never raced there myself, and haven't even been there since the late 70's when my brother used to race a 64 Nova in stock eliminator.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Had to scan the pic myself, but here it is-
Edit- Just realized the dial in on the window doesn't match what I had on the car either Saturday(9.90) or Sunday(9.72); by process of elimination, that means the pic was taken early Saturday morning during time trials. The 9.81 was from the weekend before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:19 pm

Still wondering how I won the Super Rod heads up race this weekend; I guess it's better to be lucky than skillful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby 73astregt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:51 am

holy crap spencer who was that guy doing the presentation,the cape breton giant? dude makes you look short and youre not lol! btw nice wheels up shot of the car!
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby spencerforhire » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:10 am

The guy doing the presentation(and the guy responsible for the Pro Tree series) is my good friend and mentor Berny who races the evil looking big block Chevy powered Blue Datsun 260Z that's usually pitted next to me. And yes, he's 6'5". I'm obviously shrinking as I get older and the discs in my back deteriorate; used to be 6'2", but I think I'm barely over 6' now.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:11 am

Third weekend in a row racing and I think I'm too tired to go back to work; I thought vacation was supposed to be relaxing? The trip to Raceway Park in PEI wasn't really a great weekend; very rough seas for the trip on the ferry to get there, rough roads and high winds on the drive, overcrowded pits, a race track so rough and bumpy that my front wheels were bouncing into the air locking up in the shut down area. First time I've ever been uncomfortable or out of control in my Vega. My brother who had towed a lot further than I to get there went home with a kidney stone attack before he had a chance to make a pass, an elderly(73) but very dedicated racer went over the guradrail at something near 80mph and ended upside down in the woods just past the 1/8 finish line. She may have blown a
tire, but no one knows for sure. the car was a Street class Fox body Mustang that dials 13.50 and had NO roll bar or safety harness. She's lucky to be alive with a few broken bones and a lot of bruising. Rosa is our "first lady of drag racing" here in eastern Canada- here's a link to a story about her-
http://canadiandragracer.ca/index.php/f ... /3624.html.
Personally, I didn't perform very well this weekend; had a tough time getting used to a different track/rollout/lights and never cut a great light while I was there. Car ran pretty good with a couple of decent 60 ft times(1.39-1.40) and ran reasonably close to it's dial in- 6.26 on a 6.24 in the 1/8 mile racing on Saturday and 9.96 on a 9.95 in the 1/4 on Sunday. Went out in the second round Saturday(Beat a Pinto in the first round! Yay!) and the race was called off due to rain just after I left after a first round loss on Sunday. I think I'll keep the crewchief and fire the driver(lol, both me). Long drive home; ferry was overbooked so I had to take the bridge at the wrong end of the island; 4+ hours drive in the rain.
Almost forgot; had to change a rear U-joint in the truck on Sunday morning, and by the time I got back the front one is now clicking, snapping and vibrating at lower speed. NAPA guy at the door with my U-joint. later.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby chevyart » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:04 pm

spence how does a big dude like you fit under all these dashboards and nooks and crannies of all the cars you work on. if i try and go under mine nowadays i am not getting back out. what is your secret. art
chevyart

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Another weekend of racing over with; that's #4 of 8 straight. Went a couple of rounds in the Super Rod(9.90) Pro Tree event in Mirimachi New Brunswick, and due to a couple of other guys going out in the first round, I'm now in first place, 16 points and 21 points ahead of the #2 and #3 guys with only one race left. Just have to go a couple more rounds and I'm safe.
Kind of like last weekend, the car performed flawlessly but I was inconsistent; a couple of good lights, but a couple of REAL bad ones, too. Figured out why after the fact; another racer pointed out that the tree is something like20 ft farther from the starting line than what I'm used to at the two local tracks. I thought that I must have been imagining that the lights weren't as bright, but they were just farther away.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Final event that was supposed to take place at my "home track" in Cape Breton cancelled due to rain on Friday about an hour before I about to leave. Bummer; no rain date, so the season's over for that track, and I finish in a 4-way tie for 7th place. Really wanted a chance to improve my position; my personal goal was a top 5 finish to prove my 4th place showing as a rookie last year wasn't a fluke.
Still two races left in the ADRA regional points race(where I wanted a top 10 finish) and I'm only 16th with some tough regular competitors above and below me. That's probably not going to happen unless I go a few rounds in both of the two remaining events. This points series has a complicated formula where you can only count your best 5 of 8 events, so it's far from over. If enough of the front runners fail to show up or break, things can change in a hurry. Also this time of year the weather plays a huge role; September races have a bad record for rainouts.
Also, there's one more race left in our heads up Pro Tree series where I'm currently in first place in S/R(9.90); all I really need to do is show up to guarantee a top 3 finish.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 am

Gee, I'm more than a month behind with the race reports; I will try to keep these in chronological order
So off to Greenfield Dragway for their last points meet on September 21/22, and also the second to last stop on the ADRA schedule. Kept the 9.90 tuneup in the car for the weekend and it performed pretty well, going a couple of rounds on Saturday in the gambler's race before getting "quick started" in the third round; my staged light just flickered as I bumped in and the starter hit the button before it fully lit or I was even close to ready. Didn't even see the top bulb; I was still looking at the staged light. Let go of the trans brake button sometime after the second yellow came on.
Sunday I qualified 27/52; the absolute worst spot. Got paired with the #1 qualifier in round one. Actually beat him with a pretty bad(.593) light when he couldn't run his number. The Vega spun in the second round and I lost to the eventual event winner. The one round win bumped me up from 15th to 10th in the ADRA points chase; right where I had set my goal for the season.
Another event where the car performed flawlessly but I wasn't on my game; never cut a good light all weekend.
I'm starting to sound like a broken record.
There was a "professional" photographer there who had never been to a drag race before; he did get some unique pics as he was looking at the cars maybe a bit differently than we're used to. I like this B&W shot:
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:25 am

Back to Mirimachi NB for the final race of both the ADRA and Pro Tree series on the weekend of September 28/29. Weather is cool traction is pretty good and the log book shows some best to date this season numbers even with the 9.90 tuneup. Ended up qualifying 11/15 for the Pro Tree with a less than ideal 10.018 pass; with a much quicker but throttle stopped car in the other lane I backed off at the stripe because I couldn't see him. Should have learned that by know; he blew by my at 150+ about 10 ft from the finish. Really wanted to qualify well; another #1 Q point bonus would have added some more cushion to my slim points lead in this series. Didn't get a good light in the first round; I'm already losing but it didn't matter; at about 1000ft the car backfired and shut off. I'm freaking because all I can think about is last year's broken timing chain episode. Got towed back to the pits(always embarrassing) and pull the valve covers but can't see anything bent or broken. Crossing my fingers I look under the distributor cap and find I can spin the rotor button and shaft around in circles. All that happened was the roll pin holding the drive gear had sheared off. 5 minute fix( I had another roll pin in a spare dizzy) and we're back in business. So I change to spectator for the rest of the day; I watch the next round carefully as my points lead has dwindled to 6 as the 2nd place guy has a 1st round win. When he loses in round two I can finally breathe; no one else is close enough to get past me; I win the Super Rod 9.90 Pro Tree series! My low budget, flat black, ugly duckling Vega has managed to beat some really nice(really expensive!) cars driven by experienced, winning drivers. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!
Sunday morning comes with heavy frost and awesome air; pitching the 9.90 tuneup and going back to full power nets me an awesome pass- 9.76@137+ with 6.202@113.20 in the 1/8th. best to date this year 60ft of 1.395 and even a RT of .512. I qualify ok at 28/77(big field for around here) but get "burned down" at the starting line in round one by an inexperienced racer. He took forever to stage and after 8 or 10 seconds of sitting there my trans brake "hiccuped"- The car lurched forward about 2 ft before the starter even pushed the button. Best I can figure, the solenoid overheated and disengaged momentarily.
So I slip a few places in the ADRA points back to 15th and the season is over; almost- we still have "Team Race" for bragging rights with each of the 4 tracks sending their 8 top points finishers to an end of the year invitational grudge race. Lots of good natured trash talk in the week in between, and it's close to home this year, only 1.5 hrs away in Greenfield.
A few good pics surface after I get back from Mirimachi, including a "photo op" I set up in the qualifying round Sunday morning- two Vegas- mine and Jody's(fellow board member buckracer24) one black and one white with identical dial ins.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:44 pm

On to Greenfield October 4,5,6th for the "Team Race" Last race of the season for me; no more points to worry about, no qualifying passes; just some bracket racing for fun and bragging rights. I'm actually on the Cape Breton team, sneaking onto the bottom of the roster at #8. The 4-way tie for 7th in points actually translated to 10th after the tie breaker math was done. A couple of the other guys couldn't make the trip as it's 7-8 hours(only 1.5 for me).
First the good news; the Vega is ultra consistent all weekend with tighter numbers than it's ever produced before; 8 passes with a spread of only .06 seconds and 1 MPH in the 1/8th with 60ft times only varying .009. Best pass of the weekend is a 9.724(never gone that quick at this track before) with a 6.180 1/8(best this year period)Bad news in I still can't cut a good light; one .529 but a couple in the .750-.800 range; I think I've lost my "mojo".
Went out in the 1st round against the #1 Greenfield points leader; real bad(.775) light plus went a 9.84 on a 9.77 dial. That doesn't win races around here. We also had a gambler's race on Saturday; went one round against a broken car and then got my ass handed to me by a senior citizen in the 2nd round. Love those 65+ guys who have been racing for 45 years; they're tough to beat. Another gambler's on Sunday; went 9.782 on a 9.77 dial, but I had another .800 light and put myself on the trailer.
High point of the weekend was watching my brother Don finish runner-up in the Sportsman(Street 13.50 & slower) division of the team race. He had finished the year in 5th in ADRA points and 2nd in Cape Breton.
Cool air and good traction did produce a couple of memorable pics; the Vega was launching harder(and higher!) than ever. 200+ passes on this motor; we'll have to see what a fresh "bullet' with an extra 100hp does next season .
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Great thread and thanx for the reports, I enjoyed reading them. That's one nasty Vega you have there! :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Zeke; I was wondering if anybody was actually following my "exploits". I've been using this thread like a blog; as much for my own use as any one else's.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Next

Return to Drag Racing