zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Got the tunes on an just hangin' around the Chevy Shop tonite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 am

A few more things done tonight. Just need to clean up the trans and bolt er up then it's goin in the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:32 am

The 355 Gen 1.5 SBC is ready for installation!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Get back, get back to where you once belonged! This same block was in my original, first car, 79 Monza more than 30 years ago!

This project is starting to excite me and it feels great to be working on my cars again after several years of neglect. :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Slow progress this week, just working out the details of the accessory drive.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zzip » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 am

Nice work !
Thanks for the nice pics .

Succes

Peter from Antwerp
1988 Monza L4 2.5L
1989 Monza Spyder L4 2.5L
1990 Monza Spyder V6 3.2L
1991 Monza Spyder V6 3.8L
2013 Monza V6 3.8L
2014 Starfire V6 3.8L
zzip

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:57 am

Thanx Peter!

The last pic is of the alternator bolt/idler mount that I'm fabbing out of the end of a delco alternator rotor shaft. It has the internal hex pattern so the bolt will still be able to be tightened and the shaft size is correct for the same 6203 bearing used in the idler.

I have to fab up the lower idler mount as well and cut up another old 10dn alternator I had taking up space around here. That and some factory engine braces left over from the van should go together somehow. lol
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:06 am

one idler figured out, one more to go. needum longer belt also
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:45 am

I think it will work without a second idler as originally planned. I'll find out! The down side to this conversion is that the rad will have to be pulled to change the alternator but I don't have a problem with that. It will look factory and cost next to nothing. :th:

So I had to change the water pump pulley to the smaller caprice one to gain clearance where the belt reverses by it's self.

Basically, the front drive setup is from a 1991 Caprice 305 engine plus my special idler/bolt piece. The reason I made it is because I felt that without it, there wasn't enough belt wrap on the alt. pulley. Alternators require several horsepower to work properly, much more than the smog pump that used to reside there. The alternator is a cs130, left offset tensioning ear drive end plate that I notched out to enable bolting up to the original smog pump location. The pivoting ear length is different so I'll make up a spacer for it.

The Monza steering pump has three pieces of 1/2 inch pipe spacers 5/8" long welded on to space it out from the head. The flat belt multi groove p/s pulley interchanges with a puller/installer tool.

The original Monza belt adjustment via the p/s pump makes finding the right belt length easy.

Next I'll assemble the front end with rad/condensor and figure out how to push air thru it. If that won't work, I believe I could set the motor back an inch or two by making new engine mounts.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Hey Zeke you are getting at her :th: . I am wondering if you have the reverse rotation water pump for the serpentine setup? V-Belt turns the same way as the engine, serp' goes the other. I don't remember seeing a reverse rotation SWP in a stock style (aftermarket aluminum with out accessory mounting tabs Yes) in the catalogues I was looking in. Just thinking out loud on the keyboard. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:16 am

Monza Harry wrote:Hey Zeke you are getting at her :th: . I am wondering if you have the reverse rotation water pump for the serpentine setup? V-Belt turns the same way as the engine, serp' goes the other. I don't remember seeing a reverse rotation SWP in a stock style (aftermarket aluminum with out accessory mounting tabs Yes) in the catalogues I was looking in. Just thinking out loud on the keyboard. Harry

That's great Harry, part of the reason I'm posting it all, looking for input. I did think of that and used the wp that came from the van serp setup. ;)

Clearance is ok to the rad but no room for a fan. I hope the hood fits! :shock:

I wonder if anyone has a front pusher fan setup in here, I'll have a look...
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Spent a couple hours reading thru old cooling threads in here. Looks like what I had planned isn't going to work. Im gonna stick the front clip back on and see how much room there is in there. Probably gonna mount an aluminum rad in front of the support to make room for a mechanical fan if this is possible. I seem to remember somebody in here doing that with a vega.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BadBowtie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:33 am

Ive been lurking on the install and it looks fantastic! Regarding moving the rad in front of the core support there are a few people who have done it:

v8astregt: http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?t=1289

Wizeguyrc: http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33586&start=60

V8VEGA*71 http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30822&start=45

Myself: http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30039&start=180

Unfortunately these are the only ones i can remember off the top of my head but I know there are more!
It seems complicated but its pretty easy once you start looking at it, not to mention it frees up a lot of room.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanx for the compliments and the links Bowtie!

I looked at the Vega rad conversions and decided this is the way to go with my Monza. I really didn't want to cut this car because nobody has yet except the hole I made in the firewall for the computer harness. Oh well, good cooling is more important and I do not want cooling issues, so the factory shortcomings must be rectified! Pass the cut off die grinder! :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 am

OK, I've studied the problem, read thru the related threads.

I think you Vega guys have it much easier because you r not limited by a hood latch as your's open backwards. (lol, sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure ya'all would argue ours are backwards) I'm not willing to sacrifice the latch and run pins either.

It appears that I can only gain 2.5 inches of clearance at the most by moving the rad forward.

Can anyone tell me what the Taurus fan/shroud overall depth is?

Maybe the rad will have to go forward AND the motor back some to accomplish this. I sure hope not tho as the motor setback causes too many other issues. Exhaust, shifter linkage, driveshaft etc.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals