Front frame clip install...

Moderator: Moderators

Front frame clip install...

Postby garysol1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I wish I was better with the hot wrench but I am not so I need to pay a chassis shop to install a new front frame section either fabbed or something like the Jegster kit. How much money would you guys expect to pay for a drive in/drive out price to have that sort of work done including a 10point and frame connectors to tie it all together in all stock chassied Vega? I know there are a lot variables but would you think 4k to 5k would get that done? I will be towing the car out to the shop next week for a firm price but I would love some idea in the meantime.
At some point my car has sustained some serious front frame damage that just cant reasonably be repaired.
garysol1

Re: Front frame clip install...

Postby waybad » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:58 pm

10pt cage will be somewhere in the 3500 if your lucky,, the more you do the better(tear out) be sure to look at some of their work before you
decide if they can even do it to your liking,,get a definite timeline when it will be done in writing,, if it's not done will it be cheaper??
mild steel or chrome molly? I bet it will be closer to 10k when it rolls out the door :rolleyes:
Good luck!
Tinker
Tinker
waybad

Postby megavega » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:37 am

The problem is there isnt anything to tie a tube front end into unless you add frame rails thru the floorpan, as its a unibody car. I have used the jegster fronts before they are a nice unit and you reuse your control arms. In my opinion they work best if your putting a whole tube frame into the car.

You would be suprised at how well a frame machine and a guy who knows how to use it can tweak that stock frame back, if you have been driving the car and such its not out that far that cant be straightend back out. Once its pulled on a machine, then you install the cage and supports and it wont move again.

$3500 for a cage?????....wow, I would have to install that at your house and serve you dinner for that amount, thats sky high!. I usually charge by the hour for fab work, the comp engineering cage fits nice in my car and its a fairly straight install. It can be custom installed/modified to put bars where you want them pretty easy.

Get your price Gary, then call me, we will talk about your car. I know a guy with a frame machine and hes damn good!

Like i said if you have driven the car its easily fixed, I have seen things fixed you wouldnt believe could ever be used agin on a frame machine!

waybad is right on, if you pull the interior panels,carpet,seats,etc the price is less for cage and frame work.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby garysol1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:42 am

I was quoted $1,400 for a basic 6pt and frame connectors from a well respected chassis shop semi locally. In fact I already have the entire interior out of the car to get ready for the 6pt install when I found the front end issues. That same chassis shop is also going to take a look at the front frame issue and see if he has an affordable solution. I guess I am just thinking worse case scenario as that has been my luck as of lately...... LoL.
Mega..... I will send you a PM here in a bit.
garysol1

Postby overkillrc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 pm

yea i wish i could get $3500 for a cage...$1400 is pretty fair i think for a 6 point and frame connectors. decent for mild a little low if moly. i would say to put a front stub in will get pretty pricey and 10K wouldn't be out of the question for a roll bar, frame connectors and the front end. front stubbing a car is a TON of work.
overkillrc

Postby waybad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:36 pm

that 10k I quoted was for the front clip and everything,, I did pay 3500 for my 10pt moly cage and tin work,, but it was tucked and perfect! around here the only guys that do it were swamped and I paid a premium just to get it done.. :rolleyes:
Tinker
waybad

Postby garysol1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:21 pm

waybad wrote:that 10k I quoted was for the front clip and everything,, I did pay 3500 for my 10pt moly cage and tin work,, but it was tucked and perfect! around here the only guys that do it were swamped and I paid a premium just to get it done.. :rolleyes:

Car is at the chassis shop now. I think I may have dodged a bullet on the front end but I don't want to jinx myself until we know for sure early next week so I will keep my mouth shut. FYI they are custom bending me a chromemoly 6pt with swing out bars with billet ends and welded in frame connectors for $1,500 and change.
garysol1

Postby chevyart » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:08 pm

gary sounds like a good deal for the job. did you discuss with them the importance of using crossmembers(front and rear) to really tie in the whole body pan(that what the vega chassis is )this was discussed numerous times by our members and it cant hurt, as it also give you the ultimate driveshaft loop and could maybe even be your tranny crossmember. just a thought from info i have always trusted from our forum. good luck art
chevyart

Postby garysol1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:44 pm

I sort of did Art. He (http://www.advancedchassisllc.net is fabricating a tubular transmission crossmember for me that will run from frame rail to frame rail and that crossmember will also incorporate a driveshaft loop. Hopefully next visit I can get a K-Frame added in or maybe go with one of Justin's. The chassis shop is also doing some other work for me including custom rear lower control arms, strengthening the control arm mounts, making up a diagonal bar to keep the rear centered and totally freshening up the front end with new bushings, Moroso springs and adj shocks. To say I am stoked would be putting it mildly :)
garysol1

Postby waybad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:56 pm

great news on the price!!! keep us posted :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby waybad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:56 pm

great news on the price!!! keep us posted :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby chevyart » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:56 am

gary real good move strengthining the rear lower control arm mounts. all the guys say that that is the first thing you rip out with just a little power. looking forward to see how they fab your subframe connectors. art
chevyart

Postby overkillrc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:22 pm

chevyart wrote:gary real good move strengthining the rear lower control arm mounts. all the guys say that that is the first thing you rip out with just a little power. looking forward to see how they fab your subframe connectors. art

hes talking about the front LCA mounts though..
overkillrc

Postby garysol1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:27 pm

overkillrc wrote:
chevyart wrote:gary real good move strengthining the rear lower control arm mounts. all the guys say that that is the first thing you rip out with just a little power. looking forward to see how they fab your subframe connectors. art

No i wasn't Justin. We are reinforcing the rear mounts. At this point it looks like the front end issues are really minor and won't need any major surgery.
garysol1

Postby overkillrc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:01 pm

garysol1 wrote:
overkillrc wrote:

No i wasn't Justin. We are reinforcing the rear mounts. At this point it looks like the front end issues are really minor and won't need any major surgery.

missed that part in the other post, sorry :bang:
overkillrc

Next

Return to Racing Chassis