new fueltank, also need pump, which one, HELP

Moderator: Moderators

new fueltank, also need pump, which one, HELP

Postby rhyolite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14 am

Hi guys,

my fueltank is leaky, rusty, in other words, totaly crap.
On the board i can get a brand new fueltank (universal one), with 90 ohm FSU. This should do the trick i guess ?
It's this tank : http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd121.htm

The real question, there's no fuelpump included, and I need one ! The car is stock, 140 CID 2BBL carb.

Please advice, i think i would prefer something from tanksinc, so i know for 99% sure it will fit. But anything thats suitable will work for me.

Edit : in the meantime, i contacted tanks Inc, waiting for a reply to hear what they have to say about it.

thanx in advance for any replies.

Tiemen
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre SJ Safari wagon
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
- 1993 Jeep chief Cherokee XJ
- 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Y87 V6 3.8
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Re: new fueltank, also need pump, which one, HELP

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Well I would wait until you hear from them and see what they have available. Obviously you need a pump designed to work with a carb, around 5-6 lbs of pressure. I would think they would offer something that properly fits their tank. You also want to make sure the inlet is where it needs to be, they can probably build you a custom tank or just install the inlet pipe where you need it. Measure twice before ordering and make sure the size will fit your chassis, otherwise looks like a good choice.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rhyolite » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 am

Hi,

Thanks for the tip ! The tank was originally bought for a vega wagon, i'm guessing the inlet will be on the correct side, but i'll double check it anyway.
Still waiting on a response from tanksinc.

Tiemen
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby rhyolite » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:44 am

This is the reply i got from tanks inc :

[color=#400080]We don’t carry the fuel pump specific to your application. However, if you are looking for a fuel pump for a carbureted car you could look at Delphi part# FE0070.
We carry fuel pumps too however, if you wanted to use any of our assemblies you would also need to purchase a bypass regulator and run a return line back to the tank.
[/color]

So, they don't have a pump for the vega/astre, but they point me in the direction of a regular in/out tank fuelpump, fuel regulator etc.

Now i noticed, the fuel pump has a safety guard by oil pressure, is this something special? (i asked here in NL, and the just looked funny, they understood the concept, but never actually seen/heart from it). Is this something i can ignore? Jam in a regular fuelpump and bypass the oil pressure blabla ? Or will this result in a NO GO?

Thanks for the help, again :)

Grtz,

Tiemen
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 am

We had a good discussion on fuel pump wiring in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=41060

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rhyolite » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Chuck,

THAT was indeed what i was looking for !!! It explains a lot, now i understand why they looked funny at the local store, pretty ingenious but specific to vega/astre.
Whole lot of information, so think i'll print that post so i can read/translate it :) There are a lot of words in that thread i have to google translate :)

I guess a regular pump, with a regulator if the pressure is too high and a return line should do the trick, with some fancy wiring :) (simply put? :) )

A small european conversion question, earlier was mentioned i need a pump that put out "5-6 lbs of pressure", I can't find a conversion for this?
What would this rate be in PSI or BAR? anyone ?

Tiemen
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:52 pm

If I remember correctly, a bar is 14.7 psi, so it should be around .5 bar.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Tiemen Chuck is right 1 bar is 1 atmosphere and we use 14.7 lbs./sq. inch for or calculations. PSI is an acronym for "Per Square Inch" so that is the same thing just said differently. As for your "English" you are doing just fine there are natives that aren't doing as well! :th: And we have to look things up as well being as this is a "Global" community so English Yes but England is slightly different than US which is different than Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. (etcetera) only slightly but does lead to confusion from time to time. Have Fun Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rhyolite » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 am

thanks for explanation,just for double checking :
1 LBS of pressure = 1 PSI ?
which makes - 14.7 LBS = 14.7 PSI = 1 bar?

It's actually the same, but written down in another fashion?

and was it correct to write down this part ? :
I guess a regular pump, with a regulator if the pressure is too high and a return line should do the trick, with some fancy wiring :) (simply put? :) )

Thanks for the compliment about the english :) Its getting somewhat difficult with the car specific terms, also because "american-english" and "english" use different
terms for the same parts. Manifold-headers, gearbox-transmission, bulkhead-firewall, dynamo-generator .... it's gets confusing sometimes for sure :)
But i'm getting the hang of it :) It's even getting worse, when i'm at the local shop and ask for stuff with american terms and actually don't have a clue on how the parts are called in dutch :) I need valve stem seals .... you know, rubber thingies, in the header, for the valves, crap .... :) I had to get really cryptic when i wanted to know more about sleeving the engine :)
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 am

rhyolite wrote:thanks for explanation,just for double checking :
1 LBS of pressure = 1 PSI ?
which makes - 14.7 LBS = 14.7 PSI = 1 bar?

It's actually the same, but written down in another fashion?

and was it correct to write down this part ? :

Thanks for the compliment about the english :) Its getting somewhat difficult with the car specific terms, also because "american-english" and "english" use different
terms for the same parts. Manifold-headers, gearbox-transmission, bulkhead-firewall, dynamo-generator .... it's gets confusing sometimes for sure :)
But i'm getting the hang of it :) It's even getting worse, when i'm at the local shop and ask for stuff with american terms and actually don't have a clue on how the parts are called in dutch :) I need valve stem seals .... you know, rubber thingies, in the header, for the valves, crap .... :) I had to get really cryptic when i wanted to know more about sleeving the engine :)

Tiemen,

Yes, you are correct - 1 lb (pound) is 1 psi. I'm sorry, I'm used to everyone using the same terms.

If the pressure is too high, there are two methods to control it. Both use pressure regulators. One style is what you describe - a return-style regulator which controls pressure by how much it allows to return to the tank. Another is a "deadhead" regulator, which only allows the amount of fuel at the regulated pressure through and the rest is held back in the supply line. Which to use depends on the style of fuel pump and the amount of pressure it generates.

I understand what you mean about terms. I've been watching a British TV show lately called Wheeler Dealers. It's fascinating to me listening to them describe parts in their terms. "Bonnet": hood, "boot": trunk, "wings": fenders; "prop shaft": driveshaft, etc.

And, yes, your English is very good!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rhyolite » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks !!!

I guess i have enough info to make a well educated decision :)

I'll get myself the tanks inc tank, and cross the bridge with the fuelpump when i get there :)
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby rhyolite » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:50 am

About the fuelpump again, according to the specs, this should work without a regulator?

http://www.holley.com/12-427.asp

Am i correct?
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech