SoffSeal : 2 thumbs down

Post reviews of H-body products here. UNBIASED REVIEWS ONLY. NO ADS.

SoffSeal : 2 thumbs down

Postby Wizeguyrc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:29 am

Some of you may have read my other thread concerning my door seal problem, and saw that I was using SoffSeal brand. These were bought from The Goat Farm in a weather strip kit they offer.
After having no luck solving my problem, ( adding heat, adjusting strikers, etc ), it was very apparent that the seals were never going to relax enough even to engage the striker. Knowing that the Goat Farm did not make the weather strips, I decided to call SoffSeal and speak to them about the problem and to give them some specific information so as hopefully to get them to take another look at their product.
As soon as the words Chevy Vega were spoken their so-called tech guy was done with me. He immediately went into defense mode and didn't want to hear anything I had to say. I was trying to explain to him the area where the seal was not letting the door close, and he kept interrupting saying he couldn't do anything for me and asked for my invoice number and he would give me an RA so I could get a refund and buy another brand.
Once I told him I purchased them from the Goat Farm, he asked "why was I calling him"? When I again tried to explain I was trying to give him some feedback so they could take a look at it and make a correction, he again interrupted and said that there was no need for any corrections and I didn't need to call them anymore, I needed to call the supplier. He also informed me that in his 10 years, he has never heard of any problem with any H-body product. When I tried to direct him to this forum to read a couple of the threads, he didn't want to hear it. I also informed him of some threads on some Chevelle and Camaro sites....he did not want to hear about that either.
After having him pretty much hang up on me, I called the Goat Farm and told him about the conversation with SoffSeal. The owner was very professional and told me to box up the SoftSeal pieces and he would send me a call tag and order me Metro seals at no charge.

To sum things up, this is why I am writing this review:
I did not want nor ask for a refund. The purpose of the call was to supply a manufacturer with some feedback, from the end user, so as they could look at and possibly make changes to their product that would prevent these problems in the future. However, again here is yet another example of how there is little to no customer service in this country anymore, and I want as many people to know about this as I can. I do not recommend for anyone to buy SoffSeal products. Not because some of their items may or may not be of good quality, but because they display the attitude that they do not care about the end user once the product leaves their building.

Hats off to Goat Farm however. He stepped up and took care of the customer and done it on his own accord. I did not ask for a replacement product or refund. He was only called to inform him of how sorry SoffSeals attitude was.
Wizeguyrc

Re: SoffSeal : 2 thumbs down

Postby vega craig » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 am

I totally agree with you soft seal is anything but soft,,20 years later iam still slamming my camaro doors ,wow sounds like its past time to junk them,lol. had them on my vega wagon ,they fit like junk , glad i did metro on my hatchback.craig,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,softseal yea right soft
vega craig

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:10 pm

I haven't installed my seals from "The Weather Strip Special" AKA "The Goat Farm" but I too found it very easy to deal with the owner, also the guy answering the phone, I didn't have any problems to report, but the Canadian shipping thing sometimes causes suppliers to lose their mind, and the Goat Farm breezed right through it! So now I have to go check what brand mine are, but I agree "Two Thumbs Up" for Weather Strip Special/The Goat Farm (He is a GTO Guy BTW hence the "Goat" reference Always nice to deal with a real "Car Guy" Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Wizeguyrc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 pm

The gentleman who answers the phone is the owner. Yes, he is a car guy who has installed what he sells. Knowing he is a dealer for various brands, I will try to order all future items from him. Regardless of make or model.
Wizeguyrc

Postby dadhad1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Sorry to hear that Tracy and thanks for the feedback. For what its worth I used metros for both doors and hatch and no issues. For them from RockAuto.

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue May 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Finally got around to installing the Metro seals. This is the first attempt at shutting the door. Only 1/4" from closing and this is with no force shutting the door. After it sits for a couple of days, I will adjust the striker.

Also, I will add the follow up attempt to get a response out of SoffSeal. After reading their so-called mission statement, I sent them an email explaining what had happened with my product experience as well as the encounter with the "tech guy". I also reminded them of what their mission statement says, as far as customer service is concerned, and asked to have a member of management to contact me in order to discuss the tech issues with their product as well as the lack of customer service.
As of this post, no response.

Metro is the way to go and SoffSeal is a terrible company who does not care about customer feedback or trying to improve or fix their product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wizeguyrc

Postby zeke » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:06 am

Thanx for the info! I ordered the Metro seals from JC Whitney.

http://canada.jcwhitney.com/search/?Ntt ... 0&shopId=1
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mahoy78spyder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 am

Very informative, and unbiased review - Thank you! Customer service is a huge thing for me, and if ever given the choice between two quality products, I'll always choose the one that has better customer service. But give me a crappy product that is exacerbated by poor customer service.... don't even waste your time trying to sell me on your product. :censored:
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby sportriderok » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:58 am

Excellent information to have, and very timely for me. I can usually forgive a company for an employee having a bad day, but the lack of response at all speaks volumes. Thanks for taking the time to fill us in.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Return to Product Reviews