PAINTING A VEGA WAGON

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

PAINTING A VEGA WAGON

Postby texasgilbert » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Guys. I'm going to do a cheapy paint job on my sons Vega Wagon. I was wondering if anyone out there has used the Dupli-Color paint system? I would also like to know if anyone knows how many quarts of primer, paint, clear coat that I should buy. I want to put about 3 coats of each. How many quarts does that equal to? Thanks for the help. Gilbert. :D
texasgilbert

Re: PAINTING A VEGA WAGON

Postby vegastre » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:08 pm

I could guess for you but I would ask here, you might get better advice.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewf ... 809345ccbe
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby texasgilbert » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:29 am

Thanks. I'm on the Chevelle site because Chevelles are my real passion, ( Sorry H-Body Guys). But I just joined this site when I bought a 76 Vega GT Wagon. I've always wanted to build a V-8 Vega. I can't remember but read somewhere that it would take 3 or 4 gallons of paint to paint the car and I thought that was way off. I'm hoping it was way off anyways. Another thing, when I bought the car the hood was off and the latch cable was broken. I happened to a find a cable for a Ford truck that was just the right length that I needed and it seems to be working fine now. The only thing is, "How do you put the hood on? The hinges are welded to the hood and it seems like I'd have to spread the hinges to get it to fit in the holes. Am I missing something? Is there a place where it drops in and goes in the hole in the body? I'm really confused about this. HELP PLEASE!! Thanks. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby gerbsinmd » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:59 am

texasgilbert wrote:Thanks. I'm on the Chevelle site because Chevelles are my real passion, ( Sorry H-Body Guys). But I just joined this site when I bought a 76 Vega GT Wagon. I've always wanted to build a V-8 Vega. I can't remember but read somewhere that it would take 3 or 4 gallons of paint to paint the car and I thought that was way off. I'm hoping it was way off anyways. Another thing, when I bought the car the hood was off and the latch cable was broken. I happened to a find a cable for a Ford truck that was just the right length that I needed and it seems to be working fine now. The only thing is, "How do you put the hood on? The hinges are welded to the hood and it seems like I'd have to spread the hinges to get it to fit in the holes. Am I missing something? Is there a place where it drops in and goes in the hole in the body? I'm really confused about this. HELP PLEASE!! Thanks. Gilbert

That would be 3 - 4 quarts of paint. When I painted mine 30 years ago we used acrylic enamel and a gallon of paint plus the other chemicals was enough.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby texasgilbert » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks Gerbsinmd. That's what I thought. I think I'll buy 3 quarts of each and hope that's enough. I'll know with the primer if I have enough. Then I'll go from there. Do I have to go to a different section to ask about the hood and some seat covers. I did a search on seat covers and found the same post over and over again. Thanks again Gerb. Gerbert. Get it? LOL. :lol:
texasgilbert

Postby nutt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:02 am

If you're doing a cheapy paint job, use UPOL build primer......it's DTM meaning you can use it direct on your stripped car or over filler or whatever. Block that with 150, reshoot another gallon and block with 240, than 400. Reshoot 2 light coats, sand with 400 than 500 wet for single stage topcoats, 600 for base/clear topcoats. A gallon is plenty for your ride.
So you'll need 2 gallons of UPOL high build and 1 gallon of single stage. If you're shooting base/clear, buy a gallon of SPI universal clear with their slow activator/reducer (2 gallons mixed) and you'll have left over clear for repairs down the road. So this would equate to $120 for the UPOL, $60 for a gallon of good reducer, and $200 for the clear if you go that route. The base or single stage paint is up to your own research. I can shoot a quality job on a Vega for less than $800 TOTAL using quality materials, not top dog stuff but it'll look good for 20 years.
nutt

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:22 pm

texasgilbert wrote: The only thing is, "How do you put the hood on? The hinges are welded to the hood and it seems like I'd have to spread the hinges to get it to fit in the holes. Am I missing something? Is there a place where it drops in and goes in the hole in the body? I'm really confused about this. HELP PLEASE!! Thanks. Gilbert

Gilbert,

Yes, unfortunately, you have to spread the hinges to remove the hood, as scary as that sounds with a freshly-painted car. I think there are other members who have successfully ground off the welds and attached the hinges with inserts in the hood and bolts. I drilled out the pins in my hinges and use cut off bolts as pins. It's a little less nerve-wracking. Be sure to use several layers of tape on the edge of the hood, fenders, and upper valance around the hood opening when removing and installing the hood.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Wizeguyrc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Another tip is to spray on a good sealer that is a compatible with your top coat. For example; We sprayed a white sealer on my wagon before the orange base coat. It took a little over 2 quarts of mixed paint to cover the entire car.
Wizeguyrc

Postby texasgilbert » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:28 am

Does the Dupli-Color paint system have a sealer? I'm using the Dupli-color because there's no mixing or any reducing and such. I'm an amateur at painting and the Vega is a good place to start. As far as the hood, did you take out the pin and left a hole and then put a round piece of pipe or something like that to go through both holes and then clipped it on with some pins? That sounds like a great idea. Thanks. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby texasgilbert » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks Cosvega76, Nutt and Wizeguyrc. All great tips for the hood and painting, etc. So none of you would use the Dupli-Color 3 stage system? It seems to me to be the easiest to paint. I get mixed up with all the reducers and such. The Dupli-Color is still cheaper than all the rest. I also heard that you should stay with the same brand of primer, build primer sealer, reducer, paint and clear coat. I'm just looking for the cheapest, easiest paint to paint with. This will be the first car I've actually sprayed. I helped a friend of mine paint a few cars but I was the helper, wet sanding, wet sanding and then wet sanding some more. :D Thanks for the tip with the hood also. I'm going to take the pin off the hood and make it go through the hood and the holder. That's a great tip. Thanks Guys. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby nutt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:17 pm

I'm not a pro but have played with paint for 15 years or so. I typically mismatch products and use the best product I can on a budget, unless I'm doing a top-level car. Some higher priced products are garbage, some lower priced stuff is fantastic. The reducer issues you have I don't quite understand, it's fairly simple to just follow the TDS mixing ratio provided when you buy the paint. My tip of the day, buy SPI products when you can, buy quality reducer from them also, it'll work with inferior paints but inferior reducer won't work with quality paints.
If you listen to everyone, it can get quite overwelming but listen, decide on a system, spell it out here, then we'll wittle it down for you.
No need to waste your money on sealer when some quality primers can be reduced down and make a great sealer. This elimantes some product cost.
Just to add to the confusion, my jobber has made numberous mistakes. I tend to listen to everyone but trust only the ones that actually have used the stuff not just sell the stuff.
nutt

Postby texasgilbert » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:35 pm

This is what I'm talking about with reducers and such. 4:1 with what? I don't get it. I thought 4:1 was the mix with the reducer but then it says + 10 or 20 % reducer. So what am I mixing at 4:1?

•High Build Primer Filler for spot repairs. (use at 4:1)

•Primer Surfacer for large areas. (use at 4:1+10% reducer)

•A Non Sand (wet on wet) sealer. (use at 4:1+20% reducer)

•Tintable with up to 10% with urethane mixing base.
texasgilbert

Postby texasgilbert » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:51 pm

And while I'm at it, what is 2.1 VOC, 4.4 VOC and 3.5 VOC, etc. mean? :?
texasgilbert

Postby nutt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 am

If it says 4:1 then mix it 4 to 1. Only add the 10% or whatever it says after that if you're out of your reducer's heat range nad that shouldn't happen. If you're painting in 75 degree weather get the fast reducer which is DT885 if you're using PPG. If you're painting in 65 degree weather, get the medium reducer, not too scientific but it does matter. You can add the 10% or 20% if things aren't laying flat or basically not atomizing through your tip and creating a peel. Usually that's caused by improper gun setup, improper tip size or a combo of those 2. The added 10% or whatever they're talking about is just a maximum you customize your mixture. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Don't let it overwelm you, just grab some paint and get to it. By the time you paint your epoxy (should you go that route), and your primer, you should have a good feel for the topcoat.
nutt

Postby nutt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 am

If it says 4:1 then mix it 4 to 1. Only add the 10% or whatever it says after that if you're out of your reducer's heat range nad that shouldn't happen. If you're painting in 75 degree weather get the fast reducer which is DT885 if you're using PPG. If you're painting in 65 degree weather, get the medium reducer, not too scientific but it does matter. You can add the 10% or 20% if things aren't laying flat or basically not atomizing through your tip and creating a peel. Usually that's caused by improper gun setup, improper tip size or a combo of those 2. The added 10% or whatever they're talking about is just a maximum you customize your mixture. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Don't let it overwelm you, just grab some paint and get to it. By the time you paint your epoxy (should you go that route), and your primer, you should have a good feel for the topcoat.
nutt

Next

Return to Restoration Tips