Rust

Moderator: Moderators

Rust

Postby Carcross » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:11 am

New member, first post.
The issue with most Vegas has been rust right off the line, so to speak. I've restored a '71 panel which I still haven't put out on the road in over twenty years due to a couple of minor issues. The most troubling is the rust at the base of the windshield (inside). It doesn't seem all that bad now, but it is there and who knows how deep it may go. My question is " How rebuildable is that area once the windshield is out?"
The rest of the vehicle is in very decent shape and pretty much original; modified original engine with liners, Weber, Clifford, H.E.I., McLeod, Crane; 5 speed; posi. GT dash.
Other cars are Monzas -- '79 Wagon w/3.2 auto/air and a prepped for v8 '78 Hatch.
If the rust under the windshield is going to be a major $$$ and time eater then it'll be time to post on Ebay.
Any body guys/gals out there who've worked around the windshield?
Carcross

Re: Rust

Postby NVEGAR8D » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi,
Look at Peter pan's garage journal page one of his 72 vega. he did a fare amount of rework around his windshield.
niock75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Rust

Postby vegastre » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Any body guys/gals out there who've worked around the windshield

Search 'windshield rust' in the upper right hand corner, several good threads. You need to be a welder and a somewhat competent body man. The problem of course if you decide to sell your present car is the odds of finding a rust free H-body is slim to none. So, go with the fix since you've came this far.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair