spring rates for the DisAstre project.

Moderator: Moderators

spring rates for the DisAstre project.

Postby hoffbug » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Looking for spring recommendations or confirmation that Im going in the right direction..

My H-Body project will be a 77 Vega chassis with an Olds 215 and a 200R4 transmission.. I will be adding S-10 spindles to the front and using the torque arm 7.5 rear end.... I will probably be using the ride tech Q series shocks ( they make fronts for a Vega with the bump stops and the rears can be ordered with the correct bushing size)..... I have sway bars off of a 75 Cosworth Vega and would like to use them... My question is springs.... The front springs that came out of my donor 75 Cosworth sure look like same diameter and coil count as the ones that came out of the 77 Base Vega.. and the rears that came out had 5 or more rubber spacers in them so I think they might be played out. They didnt come that way did they?

Im looking for the right springs to run with the Cosworth swaybars to achieve a good a handling street car... Are reproductions of the Cosworth spring or equivalent available? I think the little Olds engine will only add about 30 lbs over the front over the stock 140 engine.. maybe a tad more over a CV engine...

I guess it would also be helpful to know what the Cosworth spring rates were...
You can sleep in your car, but you cant drive your house!
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Re: spring rates for the DisAstre project.

Postby T-FATTY » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:54 pm

The CW springs should be fine, Dadhad1 has a sbc with aluminum heads and is using CW coils springs.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby hoffbug » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 pm

So after hours of web searching I came across some old Cosworth vega owners association threads from Yahoo..

Basically what I was able to glean from it is..

The 1975 and 76 CV front springs are the same rate .. 350LBS..... but the 75 spring is different than the 76 and results in a lower ride height..

The rear springs were a 155 LB rate...

Nobody makes them anymore...

So what are my options for finding more accurate information... There is a TCT document that is referred to.. anyone have a copy with just the spring info?
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby cammerjeff » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 am

Have you tried contacting Detriot Eaton Spring? They make most of the after market springs sold, and were the main OEM Spring Provider back in the day. I have ordered new replacement springs from them and have been very happy with them. They still have all the drawings and spec's on every spring they have ever made. Give them a call.

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby hoffbug » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:54 pm

I called Eibach instead of Eaton by accident.. They wanted to make at least 50 sets to make it worth their while to change the line.. Makes sense when you are a production oriented company.

I talked to guy at coil spring specialties who will build me what ever I want for around $220 a pair..
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby hoffbug » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:35 am

I called EatonDetroit.. Got a gal on the phone who looked up all of the available springs .. She found fronts 350LB rate same as the CV but said they would be about 1/4" higher than the stock Vega springs.. Considering the little Olds 215 im putting in is about 25-30 lbs heavier than the stock 140 It should be good.... Part # MC4046 $169.95 PR..

I still cant locate the correct 155LB rear springs though.. Eaton came the closest at 141LBs. Part number MC3225 $169.95 PR That is within 10% of the 155 LB rate I was looking for but am unsure about the height...
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:23 pm

When you get a chance or get things figured out I would be interested in hearing more about the Ridetech shocks. They are quite pricey from what I have seen but they may be worth considering. I know you sent me the part number for the fronts, if you come up with something for the rear please let me know. Anybody else have any knowledge about Ridetech shocks?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hoffbug » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:13 pm

The only other high performance shocks I see still being available for the H-Body are from Europe.. SPAX... at current conversion rates the price is around $209 USD Each.. then you have to ship them over..

The adjustable ridetech shock in the HQ version #22139846 are competitive with that from summit with Free shipping at $175 Ea... If you dont want adjustable they have an RQ Version #22039846 at $125 ea.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/shocks/

http://www.spaxperformance.com/classic_ ... s-gas2.php
Last edited by hoffbug on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby hoffbug » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:25 pm

The Spax shocks claim they are adjustable in both bump and rebound. Having never seen them But being aware of what a quality double adjustable costs Im doubting they are a true double adjustable shock... Im not sure But I belive I read somewhere that the CVOA approached Spax about making these.... Maybe someone that knows more can chime in.. I know that Ridetech approached engineers from FOX to do their development.. If you are into motorcycles you know who fox is..
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:47 pm

I would probably be fine with the non adjustable RQ series. I know you spoke to them about the rears, if you get them to figure those out it would be great if they would list them for H bodies. Keep up posted on these.....
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hoffbug » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Im working on them about that.. It basically had to do with a smaller trunion having to be mounted in.. Ill see if I can get them to give me a part number. at any rate it sounds like the rears would have to be ordered directly through Ridetech to get the correct ends..
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby hammerdown7 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 pm

hoffbug wrote:The Spax shocks claim they are adjustable in both bump and rebound. Having never seen them But being aware of what a quality double adjustable costs Im doubting they are a true double adjustable shock... Im not sure But I belive I read somewhere that the CVOA approached Spax about making these.... Maybe someone that knows more can chime in.. I know that Ridetech approached engineers from FOX to do their development.. If you are into motorcycles you know who fox is..

You're right Tony, the CVOA made a special purchase about 20 years ago. I have a new set on the shelf some place, maybe I can find them tomorrow to get part numbers for you.

I also have a pair of new Koni rear shocks but they are really rare. They are for a '71 and the lower mount has the threaded rod used only in that year. If you knew someone with some machine shop experience a mount could probably be made so they would fit the '72 & up configuration. If some one wants to give them a try I'd sell them for $150 plus shipping.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby bill1978v8 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:23 pm

1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby hoffbug » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Im finding production had been dropped on many of those springs
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby hoffbug » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:02 pm

I ordered the springs from Eaton.. Hoping the heights and rates will work well with the Cosworth sway bars which are 13/16" rear, and 1" front
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech