Monza for Europa

Notices, bug reports, etc. about the forums

Moderator: Moderators

Monza for Europa

Postby erik monza » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Anybody know how many Monzas - H body cars were sold in Europa

And how many in each country, I have an Idea that they were sold through Opel dealers as Opel is GM as well, but what do I know really??.

Sweden is known for having a lot of American cars, some says they have the highest percentages of US cars in Europa

As far as I understand, the Monza was made for Europa as well, the idea that Mr.John DeLorean had, was that the Monza should compete with BMW and Mercedes in Europa.

The look was right on for Europa, but the 4 cylinder models, would be a hard sell, as the car is heavy by European standards, a 1976 4 door Renault 16TX family car weights 1000kg and have 94 horsepower, the Opel GT sports car 1968 - 73 weights 945 kg and have 96 horsepower, so a 87 horsepower Monza at 1300 kg, would not be that hot, and the handling on the mountain roads of the Alps, is not op to European sports car standards, my Opel GT handles just like a go-kart, it will stay in there, until the tires start to slide, no roll, on the no speed limit Autobahn in Germany, were porches is shooting by at 160 km in hour every 20 minutes, the Monza would only look like a sports car, not act like one.

But some where, there must be some sales figures, in Europa It was not a cheap car at the time, it was sold to people with money, people who liked the style more than the performance, somebody have sales prices for different countries - compared to other cars?? .

So how many got over here, they surely did not take back what they did not sell, so they sold them all, and no and then there is one survivor up for sale.

Thanks from Erik
Erik - - - Thanks everybody, I enjoy this community
in 77 I had a 1974 Vega GT w auto - from 77 till 79 a1975 Monza 2+2 262 w 4 speed - from 80 till 85 a 1978 Monza Spyder 305 w auto - from 2010 on a1976 Monza 2+2 262 w auto change to 305TPI w 4speed auto (my 4th H body)
erik monza

Location: Hotel Brinkly - Denmark- Helsingor.-. former Canadian - Calgary - private email: gterik@gmail.com

Re: Monza for Europa

Postby zzip » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Belgium : +/- 15 on the road (I think) .

Peter from Antwerp
1988 Monza L4 2.5L
1989 Monza Spyder L4 2.5L
1990 Monza Spyder V6 3.2L
1991 Monza Spyder V6 3.8L
2013 Monza V6 3.8L
2014 Starfire V6 3.8L
zzip

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby stage169 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:08 am

In 1979 there were 1,630 Monza's built with a Speedo in Kilometers for export.

In 1980 there were 895. No info for the other years.

If the Monza was made in Canada and you purchased a restoration report from GM Canada it would tell you.

A member here bought a 1977 Buick Nighthawk and the restoration report. His report showed that 643 Buick's were made for export sale in 77. His was delivered to Eredi Di N. Crescionini in Lugano, Switzerland.

Not very many that is for sure. Brian
stage169

Postby erik monza » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks Brian

Now talking of speedometers, what do you and everybody else in here - think of this, - - - my Monza - a 1976 model sold and registret as a 1975 model in Sweden, as some new Swedish rules would have made the 1976 model harder to sell, I am told ???, it had for some reason a Joan Claybrook speedometer -
you know max. 80 miles on the dial - - ??

Now why would they have a speedometer like that, on a car with an export sticker, here is the next kick - - I wanted a European speedometer - only KM - and went to a wrecking yard in Sweden, to get one, the cars that had a speedometer left in them - - where ALL European 200 KM speedometers - - ??

Now - ?? why would my car not have a European 200 KM speedometer to start with, like other Monza s, and if somebody wanted the cheat with the mileage, where would the get a Joan Claybrook speedometer in Europa and not change it for a lower mileage KM speedometer??

Notice that the pointers is white on the Joan Claybrook speedometer and are matching the other gauges on the European 200 KM speedometer.

Any body can help me on this story

Thanks from Erik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
in 77 I had a 1974 Vega GT w auto - from 77 till 79 a1975 Monza 2+2 262 w 4 speed - from 80 till 85 a 1978 Monza Spyder 305 w auto - from 2010 on a1976 Monza 2+2 262 w auto change to 305TPI w 4speed auto (my 4th H body)
erik monza

Location: Hotel Brinkly - Denmark- Helsingor.-. former Canadian - Calgary - private email: gterik@gmail.com

Postby stage169 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:41 am

Erik, only guessing here and maybe others will know for sure. The speedo in your car when you bought it looks to me like what I would expect to see in an export speedo. The only reason I say that is because the Km/h and mph are swapped compared to my 77 speedo. The top big number scale is Km/h.

That could all be wrong like I said I'm just guessing. What year models were the Monza's you saw and used the 200 Km/h speedo's? That might be part of the story. Was your car made in Canada? I'm not sure where the production for the Monza was in 76 I know California and Canada split production on the Skyhawk and thought maybe a 76 Monza might have been made in Canada. If so then you stand a chance on finding out some history on your car but it is not cheap. For a report from Canada I think it is $90.00 US now but it would show all your options and how many Monza's were made for export sale. Just a thought.

I like seeing that 200 on there :D I've never looked into the speedo's for the H body, I do remember people posting higher mph ones here but don't know the history. Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stage169

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Erik the 80mph /130kmh looks to be the standard Canadian dual speedo the same as the one I had re-calibrated with the white needle and all ( I didn't think to have it painted to match the other gauges when I had it done) from my Canadian '76 Monza. My '78 American Monza has the MPH on the outside as well but I am sure that one is has the fluorescent red needle (it is in storage and I don't get [easy] access until spring). The change over date was for the '77 model year for the Kilo's to be on the outside, but I remember buying gas at "prices are double that shown" as our pumps were still in gallons and the price had gone over a dollar and the pumps didn't have the 4th digit (1.000)for prices that high at the time, and the pumps weren't all changed over until '79 If my memory is accurate.(I started driving in '78) I don't know if this answers any of your questions or not but I am sure that is a Canadian speedo, unless that car was destined for maybe England(?) Imperial measure (not quite the same as US SAE) surrounded by Metric? Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby erik monza » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks guys

Now my first Monza was a 1975 - 262 4 speed, bought in Ontario Canada, as used in 1977, I cannot make out, what the speedometer read on the picture, but I can make out, that the last 3 lines is 3 digit and that could be 100 - 120 - 130KM, but I can tell that the sweep of the needle, is not as far on the 1976 and newer speedometer. and that would most likely be KM/ hour, and that would be a Joan Claybrook speedometer, with 80 miles limit on the dial.

Why a Joan Claybrook speedometer, with 80 miles limit on the dial. is used in Canada I do not know, as US speedometer laws, should not be in effect in Canada, but if Canada went metric in 1977, they would not have fitted the Canadian models with a metric Europa speedometer, before that time anyway and due to the big neighbour, with miles, they would most likely never fit a Canadian model Without Miles on the small numbers, but I still think the Canadian Speedometer should read 200km on the big dial and 120 miles on the small dial, to look like Canadian speedometers - after Canada went metric in 1977.

My second Monza was a 1978 305 auto bought used in Calgary in 1980 and I do not remember the speedometer and have no pictures showing it, but I remember, that I had a girlfriend asking me, if she could try driving it one time( the only time ), we were on a trip to the mountains, she was going very fast and I looked over, and remember that the speedometer pointer was outside the scale, now that tells me, that the scale must be 130 KM ( like the picture Harry send) as being out side the scale with a 200KM would be a lot faster and yes I am sure that my spyder would do 200km, as it is very streamlined and was running well, but I do not think that you can get the needle past that, with a non modified 305 with a 3 speed auto.

My Monza is a 1976 model with an " for export sticker "under the hood, and it is made in Canada, in the Swedish papers, it was sold as a 1975 model, but being a Monza guy, I knew what a 1975 dash looked like, I was told, that a dealer/importer could change the year of a car, to get a model sold, as it may not comply with new government rules for the next model year, whatever that would have been, but I believe him, as nobody would make a car OLDER, if they did not have to. I was told that it was sold as new in Sweden to lady in a very expensive neighbourhood in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, and it was kept inside in a large garage with the other cars this couple had, if the aluminium trim around the windows is original, I believe that it has spend a lot of time inside.

I still wonder why the speedometer - tach. is different as the pointers are not even colour match, to the other pointers, as on Harry´ s and there is a lot of work involved in changing some thing like that for no reason, as the rest of the Swedish Monza - H bodies - the ones I saw, all had 200Km speedometers.

If one of the other owners, wanted to change the speedometer, to cheat with the mileage, where would he get these ones, when all the other cars have matching 200 km ones, so that could not be a reason for the different set of gauges on this only one so far in the world.
erik monza

Return to h-body.org info