Monzacoupe's Monza Coupe

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Monzacoupe's Monza Coupe

Postby monzacoupe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:24 pm

Well...I've had the car almost seven years now and have driven it only for about six months of that time. I've got it registered and in driving condition right now but the transmission makes alot of noise in gears one thru three and the carb is not quite right and the seats are worn and I've got some valve covers to paint and I've got...Well everyone's got the picture. I've decided to not drive it for the summer, put it up on the stands and get to work.

I've started a list of things to get done, from installing the headers I bought two years ago all the way to paint. Hopefully I'll get it done in time for next years' Monzaque! Maybe easier said than done, but here goes!

Pictures to follow.

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Re: Monzacoupe's Monza Coupe

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Ok, keep us updated on the progress. Is your trans a manual one? If the noise is indeed from the trans and not the throwout bearing or clutch you may want to look into a trans rebuild kit like I used. You may have a bad bearing or that wavy washer inside that destroys itself over time.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Ok, I've assumed it's the transmission after i replaced the front case on it. I'll look into the bearing/washer solution. Thanks Clyde.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Started on the valve covers, a PO riveted a wooden spark plug harness onto the top of both covers. I'm looking for opinions...repair and repaint them? Or buy some new ones to dress up the engine bay? If repair/repaint what color were they when stock?

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:33 pm

monzacoupe wrote: If repair/repaint what color were they when stock?

Rick

"GM Corporate Blue"
GM Corporate Blue.jpg

Doug in P.R. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby vegastre » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 pm

PO riveted a wooden spark plug harness onto the top of both covers

That could be the funniest thing I have seen on a valve cover. Imagine the thought process that went into the design not to mention the work. They look hand carved. Hilarious.

Plenty of reasonably priced after market dress up chrome for the Buick V-6.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Rick you could also repair those (replace if you think that would be better) and chrome the stock ones, GM used to do that to some performance (as it were) cars back then. I had contemplated that on another long gone project, I think it would look spot on in a more Resto less mod car. Just something to kick around! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzacoupe » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Valve covers done. I'm now removing the stock exhaust manifolds in preparation for the Hooker's, while I'm in there I'm guessing that I should remove the steering shaft to get it out of the way of the header install. Is this right? One of the pipes loops over and around the shaft, my gut is telling me that trying to install them with the shaft in place would be next to impossible. Am I right?
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:00 am

Got some prep and tearing down done tonight. I fooled around with the headers today and think the passenger side set will go in with just a little lift, haven't messed around with the driver's side yet. Here are pics of the finished valve covers. Removed the front air dam and header panel (I think that's the proper term for it) for repair. I'm going to follow Zeke's example and repair the broken mounting areas on both and measure the grill so a friend of a friend can use a design program to cut a new grill like on the Monza GT post. Removed the fan shroud for repainting aslo.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby zeke » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Those valve covers look NOS, nice job. :th:

Sorry, no experience, but "preparing for hookers" sounds like an expensive proposition. :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:38 am

Got the passenger side headers in place, just waiting for a new bolt (one bolt 1/4" longer than the rest) before tightening everything up. Only about a dozen wacks with the hammer to get them fitted around the frame down below. No raising of the engine so far! One question... should I trim off the excess gasket material that is showing?
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Passenger side done. Now on to the driver's side.
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Removing the exposed gasket is not necessary but it would look a little cleaner without the excess. Depends on your level of detailing......
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Got the driver's side headers in! I barely had to lift the engine(used a floor jack and a couple of wood blocks to lift the Driver's side above the oil pan) for some extra wiggle room. Love how these thread the needle so to speak!
Next return the valve covers,forgot to get some gasket stuff! Oh well tomorrow I guess.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 pm

I've been wondering about this for awhile now...is my trunk missing a large piece of molding to cover the back side of the lights? The donor car I bought and stripped a few years ago had no panel there either. I may have a source 30 minutes away but I'm guessing if I need one, it might be as rare as hens teeth to get.

Rick
monzacoupe

Next

Return to Project Journals