Vega Oil Pan Clearance over Centerlink (Tips & Tricks)

Moderator: Moderators

Vega Oil Pan Clearance over Centerlink (Tips & Tricks)

Postby robert123 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 am

Looking for all available options when using a sbc oil pan on a Vega.

Here's some:

1. Milodon
2. Moroso
3. Bob Gumm diagram showing how to cut and remove about 1" of metal and rewelding.
4. Bob Gumm rubber mallet option "If looks aren't important and you want to save time and hassle, it may be possible to modify the oilpan without welding, but it will require care on your behalf to prevent damage to the engine or the oil pan." http://www.v8monza.com/
5. etc.

Any older or newer sbc oil pans happen to fit?
Tips and tricks?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by robert123 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Re: Vega Oil Pan Clearance over Centerlink (Tips & Tricks)

Postby Smiley » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:00 am

Kevco for '80 and newer 2 piece rear main blocks also for '86 and later one piece rear main seal blocks
Factory V8 Monza pan for 2 piece rear main '79 and older blocks only
Smiley

Postby robert123 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Smiley wrote:Kevco for '80 and newer 2 piece rear main blocks also for '86 and later one piece rear main seal blocks
Factory V8 Monza pan for 2 piece rear main '79 and older blocks only

When a sbc -- with V8 Monza oil pan -- is going into a Vega .......
is a V8 Monza engine cross member also needed for clearance ? Thanks.
robert123

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:15 pm

I think the V8 K member is a bit beefier but i don't think there is any differnce in clearance.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:01 pm

same clearance, but beefier as CJ stated. this crossmember is below the center link, so it dont make a difference in clearance. alter the centerlink and then you probably need to lower the crossmember, which is an easy task. art
chevyart

Postby BUDDEXX » Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 pm

There is also a trick to modify center link and idler arm for a bit more clearance. Don't forget to remove the grease fittings from your inner tie rod ends....lest you poke holes in your oil pan when turning ! Using a 1" pipe and a hammer makes a real nice clearance channel in a stock pan , looks pretty decent too. I'm using a five qt. stock pan with no clearance issues after using this technique. Also only needed cross member part of the 'K' frame. No clearance issues with it either.
BUDDEXX

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby robert123 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks guys for the advice
robert123

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:46 am

Modifying the idler arm can lead to some other negative issues. The Idler arm is positioned and designed to mirror the height and arc of the pitman arm. It can change your steering geometry as well as lead to increased wear on the centerlink pivots. The centerlink studs do not pivot like a tie rod or ball joint, they are only designed to turn inside the joint. So altering the geometry will put a bind on the joints and wear them out prematurely. With the factory V8 parts available, although rare I admit, there should not be a need to start lowering or bending idler arms that was common with the early V8 Vega swaps. Better off to stick with the factory V8 pan or aftermarket versions. If clearance is a issue then you need to look at how and where your engine is sitting in the chassis.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 77nighthawk » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:34 pm

I chose to do the cut-and-weld option for my 79 Monza. I just couldn't pry $300.00 out of my wallet for an oil pan.

20150912_205532r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it don't scare me, I don't want it.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby texasgilbert » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:28 pm

I know this is an old post but I was finally able to locate a v8 Monza oil pan with the dipstick provision like the BBc's. Will this pan fit in my 76 Vega wagon without issues? If there are issues, what will they be? Thanks in advance for any help on this.
texasgilbert

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:54 pm

To the best of my knowledge the Monza V8 pan should fit your Vega chassis fine giving you the necessary clearance. Sometimes clearance is still close so you need to evaluate your specific car. If you are using all factory parts in good condition it should all fit fine.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby texasgilbert » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks. I'm using motor mounts from ASE or ACE, I forgot. They mount to the stock holes in the frame wells and use 6? chevy truck mounts. I just wonder because the measurements they use to make your own pan are not the same as the Monza oil pan.
texasgilbert

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:47 pm

You will have to watch your inner tie rod grease fitting to pan clearance, unless yours are on the bottom (MOOG ?) as well. (Mentioned above [Art]) There are quite a few threads on this on here, but we all know how this boards search feature isn't always co-operative. It is worth the fight/wait to read through these posts if you can get it to work for you. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby texasgilbert » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:51 pm

I'll try to do a search but it doesn't always work for me like you said. Thanks for the advice Harry. I'll check the grease fittings and probably drop the bare block in just to see where it's going to sit and check the oil pan clearance. Thanks for all your help. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby railroadgoat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Has anyone tried the Transdapt 9920 oil pan ?? States that it will fit my 1979 Monza with SBC. 95 bucks, not a bad price if it fits, with no clearance problems.
railroadgoat

Next

Return to Engine Tech