It cranks fine but I can't get my ride to start!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: It cranks fine but I can't get my ride to start!!!

Postby bigguy5994 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:21 am

Spencer- I appreciate your responses and advice on my Monza. I checked on a wiring harness for a 75 Camaro as you suggested and that idea ain't gonna fly for me. Summitt Racing and Jeg's both have them but at $750.00 for either one I am going to have to pass on it for now. Back to the drawing board-
bigguy5994

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:07 am

That's a scary price for a harness. I guess what you REALLY need is another stock underhood harness. Someone on here must have one.....
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby bigguy5994 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:33 pm

It's alive!! I went over the under hood wiring again and cut and spliced a few of them and got my Monza back up and running this morning. It had not been out of my garage for almost two years so when it fired up I let it run for about ten minutes then shut it off and let it sit again for awhile then fired it back up and took it for a drive around my neighbor hood. Filled it uo with fresh gas and drove it to the grocery and back and it did okay. Still need to clean it up and get it looking halve way decent again then take it to my mechanic buddy for new bushings and ball joints and shocks and a few other things and let him tune it up good and start driving it again. Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips over the past year or so and crossing my fingers that it will keep on going from here-
bigguy5994

Postby bigguy5994 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:42 am

After all the good stuff and putting my Monza back together I am back at square one. It cranks but will not start. Checked everything I knew and still nothing. I do have one question that may be a long shot. If the Oil Pressure switch is bad as in maybe not working could that be what is causing it to crank but not fire up? I have not had the chance to run a jumper between the two slots in the boot to see if it will start that way but I suspect it will. Anyone?
bigguy5994

Postby dindin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:52 am

I would check to see if the fuel line is supplying fuel, easy enough to just put the fuel line from the carb in a can and have someone crank it for ya.

Al
dindin

Postby bigguy5994 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:08 pm

Getting fuel but that's it. It cranks but still does not start.
bigguy5994

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Spark?
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby bigguy5994 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:45 am

As far as I know it does. I did run a jumper on the oil pressure pump switch as Spencer had advised me previously but it still would not start. It will crank until the battery dies but that's about it. Assuming that it is not getting spark what is my next step?
bigguy5994

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Maybe a bad ignition module? Those are notorious for causing a no start condition. This is the module inside the distributor under the rotor.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby bigguy5994 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:42 pm

I am stumped. One of my nephews is an excellent mechanic (specializes in European and Japanese) and is supposed to stop by my house next week and spend the night on his way to a cruise. He has driven my Monza before I started having the problems so I am hoping I can get him to check it out while he is here. I'll post on here if he gets it fixed with what the problem was. Thanks guys-
bigguy5994

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:16 pm

So it was running and now it stopped again? Forgive me for not going back and reading all the posts but it sounds like a bad connection somewhere. I would narrow it down and check for voltage at the distributor when it won't start, then either work backwards toward the 12V feed to the distributor or if the voltage is good there then look at the inside of the distributor and ignition module connections. Whenever I troubleshoot a electrical issue I always like to get a reading somewhere in the middle of the circuit to at least narrow it down and know which direction to look. Knowing whether you have voltage at the distributor should help in your troubleshooting.......You mentioned that you cut and spliced some wires and got it to run earlier, what method are you using to make you splices? I prefer to solder and use shrink tubing vs using mechanical butt connectors especially on higher current wires or anything important. Those might be fine for speaker wires but for feeding the ignition or other parts like that you want to have a good solid splice.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby bigguy5994 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:12 am

Whoever had my Monza before me had made splices and disconnected a lot of the wiring so between his butchering and unfortunately some of my own I really am at a loss. As I have said before my mechanical skills are limited so kind of scared to go much further. All the lights work and the horn blows and my aftermarket stereo system works fine but as I said it cranks but will not start. When it is up and running it runs like a scalded dog and is a blast to drive- I can wind out third gear all day and it just wants to keep going faster. My first brand new car I ever bought was a 75 TC with the 4.3 V8 with a 4 speed and no air. Had 8" rims and 60's all around and the handling was fantastic. Just trying to hold on to memories- have not seen another one like it on the road for years.
bigguy5994

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Ok, hopefully your friend will be able to figure it out, it's hard to troubleshoot electrical issues without the aid of a voltmeter. The good news is the fact that you did have it running indicates it is probably something simple like a loose connection. It's just a matter of narrowing it down and finding it. I have seen a lot of hack jobs on wiring as most people don't take the time to do a proper splice or connection. It may work for awhile but over time it either comes loose or may create more resistance than it should. Also the proper use of grommets when feeding wires through the firewall or other metal areas is important as the wire can chafe over time and create a short. Keeps us posted......
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:13 pm

You could allways pull a spark plug and see if it has spark..

Al
dindin

Postby bigguy5994 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:36 pm

And the verdict is bad gas left over from it sitting in the garage for over a year. My mechanic nephew played around with it for about five minutes and it started and sounded better than it has in a long time. Need to drive it and see how it goes from here-
bigguy5994

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical and Wiring