Shocks

Moderator: Moderators

Shocks

Postby 1100kaw2 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:51 am

I had a chance to get the car out for a bit sunday. Took a buddie for a blast around town.
Lots a fun. Car pulls real hard. Seat of the pants feel and fun factor are all there, just as planned. :D
I'm unhappy with the shocks thou. Has new Monroe Matics all 4 corners. Seems really soft. Squats real bad even as it hazes the tires. The front end rares up like its hooking.
Any suggestions on shocks?
Seems like the KYB gas adjust is about the only option, per application. Unless I start going thru spec book and finding others that have similar specs.
You think the KYB's will stiffen it up?
72, LS-5spd, GT sway bars. Stock rear axle set up. ETC...
Thanks
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33788
1100kaw2

Re: Shocks

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:59 am

What no video?

Good to hear your out there tearing it up with that LS. I am jealous at the same time.

I just installed some Ridetech coilover shocks with QA1 springs. I am pretty happy with the ride so far (about 50 miles) but they were a pain in the
ass to install, and not exactly cheap, $300 each corner probably about right maybe a little more but you do get adjustable ride height.

I should add that I ended up installing drop spindles to be able to get the ride height I wanted without cutting the spring.
Last edited by avewhtboy on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avewhtboy

Postby hammerdown7 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:50 pm

avewhtboy wrote:What no video?

Good to hear your out there tearing it up with that LS. I am jealous at the same time.

I just installed some Ridetech coilover shocks with QA1 springs. I am pretty happy with the ride so far (about 50 miles) but they were a pain in the
ass to install, and not exactly cheap, $300 each corner probably about right maybe a little more but you do get adjustable ride height.

How are the rears mounted, the stock area of the upper shock mount was not designed to support the weight of the car, hopefully you have re-inforced it.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:26 pm

hammerdown7 wrote:
avewhtboy wrote:What no video?

How are the rears mounted, the stock area of the upper shock mount was not designed to support the weight of the car, hopefully you have re-inforced it.

Dick

I have only installed the front coil overs so far. Will be doing the rears real soon and yes i will not be using the "stock" upper shock mounts when I do.

avewhtboy

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:44 am

monzaaddict

Postby 1100kaw2 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 am

I like the coil over idea, but thats way out of budget for me.
I decided to just go ahead and pull the trigger on KYB gas a just shocks. all 4.
S 10 in front, and nova rear.
Had to elongate the front lower mounts a little, but other than that, they went right in. Rears bolted right in.
Took car out yesterday. Huge improvement. Really tightened up the feel. Its just a tad rougher, but hell. Its a little car, not a caddy.
Now I have to fix the horrendous wheel hop problem. It bounces the tires like crazy.
I adjusted the pinion angle down with the adjustable arms, but didn't seem to help.
I think I need to raise mount point at rear end mount.
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:48 pm

1100kaw2 wrote:I like the coil over idea, but thats way out of budget for me.
I decided to just go ahead and pull the trigger on KYB gas a just shocks. all 4.
S 10 in front, and nova rear.
Had to elongate the front lower mounts a little, but other than that, they went right in. Rears bolted right in.
Took car out yesterday. Huge improvement. Really tightened up the feel. Its just a tad rougher, but hell. Its a little car, not a caddy.
Now I have to fix the horrendous wheel hop problem. It bounces the tires like crazy.
I adjusted the pinion angle down with the adjustable arms, but didn't seem to help.
I think I need to raise mount point at rear end mount.

Yes you need to raise those upper mounts on the axle about 3-4 inches. I had the same problem with my Blue car and that took care of it. It interfered
with my exhaust tail pipes but I just was able to "adjust" them to clear the raised mounts.

Good deal on the KYB's those should be fine for 90% of anything you do with the car.
avewhtboy

Postby 1100kaw2 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 am

Sooo. Am I seeing this right. You raised the upper arm mount on the body?
I thought the trick was to raise bracket mount on housing.
I hate the thought of cutting and welding on the floor of car at this point. Its all finished inside.
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:21 am

1100kaw2 wrote:Sooo. Am I seeing this right. You raised the upper arm mount on the body?
I thought the trick was to raise bracket mount on housing.
I hate the thought of cutting and welding on the floor of car at this point. Its all finished inside.

That picture is from your car. I found it in your build thread.
avewhtboy

Postby 1100kaw2 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:57 am

OMG
Sure is.
wow, thats funny shit.
I thought to myself, wow, he has same control arms and everything like mine.
Duh
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:48 am

1100kaw2 wrote:OMG
Sure is.
wow, thats funny shit.
I thought to myself, wow, he has same control arms and everything like mine.
Duh

HAHA I thought you would recognize that being your car.

Mine were a little bit higher than yours and I was getting really bad wheel hop. I had some control arm brackets laying around so I
welded them on top of the original and took it out for a spin :burn: and no more wheel hop, that's when I figured out my posi isn't working.

http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/aa ... /overview/
avewhtboy

Postby Smiley » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:22 pm

what year Nova were your rear shocks for ?
or do you have the part numbers for both ?
Smiley

Postby 1100kaw2 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:16 am

KYB Gas A Just Fronts 00 S-10 2wd pickup KG5450
Rears 75 Nova KG5506.
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby Vegabee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:03 pm

these look adjustable wonder how they fit? http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/Viking-W ... 22677.html
Vegabee

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Vegabee wrote:these look adjustable wonder how they fit? http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/Viking-W ... 22677.html

My guess is you will end up cutting some of the coil spring off to get the ride height correct unless you have stock late model lower control arms with the deep
pocket. If you have AJE or early lower control arms it will sit too high. Thats my guess given I have similar setup using Ridetech shocks with the same QA1 coil springs.
avewhtboy

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech