New H-body IRS, 9", & front suspension - who's interested?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New H-body IRS and front suspension - who's interested?

Postby Skunkworks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:20 pm

The control arms would need to be longer to use STOCK offset Corvette wheels. If ordering wheels, you'd just specify the offset as 2" less, and move the dish in. I'd wonder how many people want the stock Corvette wheel as an option, rather than ordering a pair of wheels with the correct back spacing for the car.
Skunkworks

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Skunkworks wrote:The control arms would need to be longer to use STOCK offset Corvette wheels. If ordering wheels, you'd just specify the offset as 2" less, and move the dish in. I'd wonder how many people want the stock Corvette wheel as an option, rather than ordering a pair of wheels with the correct back spacing for the car.

Well stock Vette/Camaro wheels are cheap and plentiful vs. custom offset 2-3 piece wheels and I think moving the pivot further out into the wheel helps the other
geometry regarding running wide wheels and tires, like scrub radius but you guys are the experts I am just a garage hack.
avewhtboy

Postby Skunkworks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Trust me, we want to build a product that appeals to the most people. Running 2" plus per side extra isn't a problem, as that will bump the trackwidth to 58" in the front, which is very desirable. And would work well with the IMSA body kit as well.
Skunkworks

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Skunkworks wrote:Trust me, we want to build a product that appeals to the most people. Running 2" plus per side extra isn't a problem, as that will bump the trackwidth to 58" in the front, which is very desirable. And would work well with the IMSA body kit as well.

I think the most common upgrade on these cars that is/needs to be done is convert the front wheels from 4 lug to 5 lug.

The current "go to" are S10 Spindles which are not desirable for several reasons but are often used because they are extremely cheap and easy to get.

I bought a complete set of the twin piston blazer brakes from the local salvage yard for $55 so I went ahead and installed them for now but I am
looking for better option.

I was about to contact Justin Overkill to to see if he would build some two inch longer control arms for my blue car, but I am not sure which spindle/wheel
combo I will be using. I just threw some parts together on it for now to see where things lie.

I need a drop spindle and the blazer drop spindle interferes on at 17" C5 style wheel at the tie rod, so I can either go 18" wheels or use a different spindle with a
shorter steering arm. The A/F/X spindles with bolt on steering arms give the best flexibility and possible the C3 spindle may be an even better option.

Maybe ifyou build the control arms with the maximum amount of flexibility, like screw in ball joint cups so you can easily "tune" the front suspension and
definitely have them fully adjustable to allow more caster to be dialed in.
avewhtboy

Postby bbcowboy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:53 pm

I would be interested in what Shunkworks is planning...
Byron

Cosworth Vega #0756 (IMSA inspired CV)
Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby mahoy78spyder » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Hey I wanted to update everyone on the progress of this project. I made my way to Chicago yesterday and met Michael Allen who was able to finally drop off the car that Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle can use as a template for future H-body parts. Right off the bat, Kevin (owner of HRCC) had a Corvette C4 front spindle on hand that he purchased with us in mind. There are several great reasons that this particular spindle is ideal.
1. It will accept 15" rims (or larger) for those that were concerned about rim/tire sizes that looked appropriate for an H-body.
2. It's aluminum & lightweight.
3. Kevin will develop custom-made upper & lower A-arms to fit directly to it that are bolt-in to a stock H-body.
4. The bearing sizes are much larger than an H-body and also an S-10 brake configuration, providing much more durability.
5. Corvette parts will be made forever, so parts availability & replacement will not be an issue.

Beyond that, he is now going to come up with design ideas for a K-frame replacement that will accept your choice of rack & pinion.

Also, for those like myself that were interested in a bolt-in 9" rear end, he said if there are 2 or 3 that are interested in those "now" before Christmas, he can rearrange his work and have those completed very quickly. They will be a Moser reared with your choice of pumpkin, and will have the torque arm mount. If needed, a custom-made torque arm can be made as well, depending on the length needed. (as the 4-cyl and V8 lengths are different)

If anyone is interested in any of this, please reply here so we know what the real interest is, and the work can begin now that he has a car with which to use as a template.

Thanks to Michael for driving all the way from NW Michigan to drop off the car, and to Kevin & Chad for agreeing to take on the design/build of this car.

Hope it provides us with those never-before parts we've all been clamoring for. :-)
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Now for that Lottery Win so I can pay for them! I am real interested in this, but the budget will be a long way off, like 2 >5 years away, I m sorry to say. :cry: :x :bang: :cuss: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby beakerztoyz » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:09 pm

zeke wrote:Something simple like a 9" or 12 bolt conversion kit would be of interest to more owners maybe?

ya I'd be way more interested in a bolt in 9 inch, 12 bolt or heck even 8.5 inch ten bolt housing than i would be in IRS

on edit, just saw your last post about this and while i would like this it wouldn't be something i could afford short term, way more realistic than an IRS but I would still have to save up for a while for it

I would probably also be interested in things like new bolt in a arms. for me the issue is dollars so being able to buy some parts individually would make me way more likely to be a buyer rather than having to buy a 3000 dollar new front suspension kit
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby olds70supreme » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:50 pm

I'm really interested in the front suspension/brake/k-member/r&p talk going on here.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby mahoy78spyder » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:19 am

olds70supreme wrote:I'm really interested in the front suspension/brake/k-member/r&p talk going on here.

Ok thanks for the heads up. The front suspension pieces will be a God-send once complete, but obviously Kevin and team would like to know what the demand is as well, so if anyone else out there is interested, please speak up. He's squeezed another car into his already overcrowded shop to take on this project and would like to know if it is going to be worth it to prospective customers in the end. :th:
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:38 am

Interested in the stock width, bolt in, nine inch but I can not commit to buying something that I know not the price.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby NVEGAR8D » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:58 am

Hi,
I'd be interested in a stock width rear end with GM bolt circle too. I could be interested in front suspension parts which work better than the options we have now.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby mahoy78spyder » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:04 pm

...as for the bolt-in 9", he said to Michael and I that if 2 or 3 were interested "now" for those, before Christmas he could whip a new axle out with the correct brackets in about 3-days time, so if there are any takers on that as well, speak up. :-)
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

Postby bill1978v8 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:40 pm

I'd like a better rearend but would rather not have a 9" Ford. A bolt in 12 bolt chevy?
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby sugaryuk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:07 pm

Any idea of a ball park price for the front suspension parts?
sugaryuk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion