Wheel adapter question

Moderator: Moderators

Wheel adapter question

Postby sugaryuk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:45 am

I need to buy some wheel adapters now that I upgraded to S10 front brakes conversion from re-drilled 5 lug stockers. My drag Welds are drilled at 5 x 4.5 and need to adapt to the S10’s 4.75. I found a set of billet adapters from EZ Accessory on sale for $75, just need to figure out which thickness to buy. S10 studs are a little over 1” so I think I need to go with the 1.25” adapter width to be safe. Anyone know if I will run into any fitment problems running these? Welds are 15x3.75 skinnies on 135’s.

link to adapters: http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapte ... -5450x.htm
sugaryuk

Re: Wheel adapter question

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:36 am

Maybe I am missing something but the length of the stock studs has nothing to do with what thickness you need. You need to determine how much further out you need to push the wheel outboard. If all you need is the bolt pattern conversion then you would want the thinnest one available to keep the wheel close to where it is now.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:46 am

I doubt if you will get away with running wheel adapters on the front, even with the skinny Welds. That extra track width will most likely cause interference. I guess it depends upon how low you want the car in the front. You could have the S-10 rotors redrilled to 5x4.5".
If anyone is contemplating the purchase of new "skinnies" for the front of a Vega, a little extra clearance can be found by shopping around, The various manufacturers are offering a selection of backspace choices on their front wheels; most were originally 1.375", but now there's often a 1.75" or even 2.25" BS. This has been caused by the latest gen Mustangs and Camaros with their FWD style offset wheels.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby sugaryuk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:57 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Maybe I am missing something but the length of the stock studs has nothing to do with what thickness you need. You need to determine how much further out you need to push the wheel outboard. If all you need is the bolt pattern conversion then you would want the thinnest one available to keep the wheel close to where it is now.

This is from the manufacturer:
**If the hub studs protrude outside the adapter and prevent the wheels to sit flush on the adapter plates, it is required to shorten the factory studs. It happens most often on 1" thick adapters.

Since the studs on my S10 rotors are just over an inch I assumed this meant I would need to clear these by using the 1.25" adapter. Ideally I would like to use the 1" adapter but I don't feel comfortable cutting the studs down to a shorter length.
sugaryuk

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:13 pm

Sugar, studs are available in different lengths. [Some research required]I have to ask why are you fearful of shortening the existing studs? I would chuck them up in a lathe and cut to length if I had easy access to a lathe (which I usually do but I have cut many a bolt with the hacksaw for many different reasons) Chase the threads and think no more about it. If you don't heat them up (A LOT is required to do damage) I can't think of a reason to not do that, maybe start out with fresh ones for a little extra security, I change them on my Daily Driver every couple of brake jobs as I have to use long ones for the simple spacers to clear the 255/60-15's on the front so switching is required so I swap them out as they are cheap insurance, I would do them every time but I am not smart enough to buy them ahead of time most times. I would stay away from chop saws and big grinders you could possibly get enough heat that way to affect heat treat. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:20 pm

Oh Ok, the adaptor does need to be thick enough to allow the nuts to be recessed. .........
Last edited by cjbiagi on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Smiley » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Looking at the photo of your car your front wheels are already out there, new wheels would be the best bolt on option.
Your skinny's shouldn't be too hard to sell if they fit newer Mustangs.
Having the S10 rotors re drilled for the Ford pattern might be cheaper.
Aluminum wheel adaptors on a performance car just not a good idea.
Smiley

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Smiley is right for sure, adapters are a Band-Aid on a bullet hole at best, and a quick check of eBay and a set of adapters is the cost of a cheap wheel. So with that you would be half way there and you could still sell your existing wheels and be money ahead. And a little off topic while checking out prices I went here and check out the funny car at the top of the page Harry http://wheeladapter.com/
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby sugaryuk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Smiley wrote:Looking at the photo of your car your front wheels are already out there, new wheels would be the best bolt on option.
Your skinny's shouldn't be too hard to sell if they fit newer Mustangs.
Having the S10 rotors re drilled for the Ford pattern might be cheaper.
Aluminum wheel adaptors on a performance car just not a good idea.

As you guys pointed out, my wheels are pretty much maxed out, any further outward stance is going to look strange, as well as I installed Belltech drop spindles which will probably end up having them sit right on the fender lips. I would like to go with new wheels, easy solution but with the Canadian dollar sucking as bad as it currently is, has put this option out of reach for now (about $350 each CDN..... still paying off the engine rebuild :( ). That leaves redrilling, but having a hell of a time finding anyone local that will do it, called 3 wheel repair shops and a couple of machine shops and none was willing to do them. Is it really that specialized to do? My engine builder has a buddy with a CNC boring machine, he's going to see if he might be able to do it. Thanks for all the input!

** after a bit of surfing found them for $160 US each at Harlow Racing---might be my option if redrilling is going to expensive...I saw Moser's charges $90 for redrilling--anyone know if that's each or a pair?
sugaryuk

Postby Smiley » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 am

you can buy a drilling guide for exactly what you need. $89 + $8 Shipping USD not sure what that is in CAD
drill the pilot hole then rotate 1 hole clockwise to drill the final size.
Wheel Bolt/Lug Pattern Drill Guide http://www.rottenleonard.com/Menu.html
Smiley

Postby sugaryuk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:26 am

Thanks Smiley! What a cool product-simple build and easy to use. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the new wheels, they'd only be around $220 more than the drill guide and then I could sell the old ones to recoup some of the cost. And I can finally buy the matching wheels to my rears (Draglites)...ohhh the shame!! :lol: Too bad original owner didn't buy them--then I wouldn't be having this problem--matching ones have both patterns! Image
sugaryuk

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:47 am

I didn't realize you had mis-matched wheels on your Vega; now's your chance to remedy that. If you are looking for a bit more clearance, the Draglites are available in the newer 2.5" backspace-
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wld-90-54344
I don't really have any clearance issues; my Vega's track width is 5" narrower than stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

spencerforhire

Postby sugaryuk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

spencerforhire wrote:I didn't realize you had mis-matched wheels on your Vega; now's your chance to remedy that. If you are looking for a bit more clearance, the Draglites are available in the newer 2.5" backspace-
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wld-90-54344
I don't really have any clearance issues; my Vega's track width is 5" narrower than stock.

From what I saw it looks like the 2.5" B/S is only available in the 4" wheels....and unfortunately Harlows doesn't carry that size/bs--so I won't be able to get the price match on them. The largest bs they have is 1.875 on their 4" wheel--- would that work out the same as 1.375 on a 3.5" wheel?
sugaryuk

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Yes; if the BS measurement is exactly .500" different, then the front lip of the rim would be in the same place. BUT, the tire sidewall would be a little less bulged out due to the wider rim. Anyway, it would be hardly enough to measure. It would require the 2.5" BS wheels to make any real difference.
Used front "skinnies" are not hard to get rid of; I just sold an old pair of 15x3.5" Weld Draglites(1.375" BS) for $250.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby sugaryuk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:43 am

Would the 4" with 2.5 b/s cause any sort of restriction in the turning radius?
sugaryuk

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech