What steering box?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What steering box?

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:34 pm

monzaaddict wrote:525 is the large cosworth manual box

It was stated earlier that this box was 6 turns lock to lock, the one mounted in the Cosworth is 4 turns at most. Was this 6 turns checked before being mounted?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:45 pm

525 boxes came in various ratios but they are all externally the same.
monzaaddict

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm

The over the counter quick ratio box is less than 3 turns lock to lock mounted, maybe closer to 2 1/2. I've had both in my autocrosser and when I changed to running slicks I could not turn the quick ratio box fast enough to make some of the sharp corners, ended up putting in power steering.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby 77nighthawk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:36 pm

hammerdown7 wrote:
monzaaddict wrote:525 is the large cosworth manual box
<br abp="701"><br abp="702">It was stated earlier that this box was 6 turns lock to lock, the one mounted in the Cosworth is 4 turns at most. Was this 6 turns checked before being mounted?<br abp="703"><br abp="704">Dick

Hey Dick, I was going off of what google came up with on the 6 turns. I just went out and checked my stop to stop, and it was 4, or just under. I hadn't checked it before tonight, other than when it was on my workbench, and even then, I was only checking to see if it turned easy, and wasn't loose. I couldn't tell you if it is a Cosworth box or not, but it bolted right in. Brad
If it don't scare me, I don't want it.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:22 am

I don't know what the number designation is for the Cosworth manual box but maybe you have one. I thought I read somewhere that the small manual Vega box was only used in the Vega/Astre. So maybe your box could have come out of any manual steering Monza/Sunbird/Starfire/Skyhawk as well.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Hammer, I pulled the box from a vega wagon myself. By the way, how do you keep power steering belts on a car at 7500+RPM? I couldn't keep mine on at even much less. Anyway I want manual so I'll have to bend a pittman arm to work with my vega box or get a 525 and find or bend a pittman to work with it. I am still open to ideas. Please keep the imput coming!
bruceb

Postby chevyart » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:42 am

from what i saw on your initial posts, i think you have a power steering center link that was rigged up to a manual box, which i dont think lines up. seems to me that all you have to do is get a manual steering centerlunk and it should work perfect with you manual box from the wagon. they are easy to find, new or used. i even have a used one with inner and outer tie rod ends. everything was bought new less than 3,000 miles ago and then removed from car. art
chevyart

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:26 am

Art,

The large manual steering box, like on the Cosworth and the later Hs, uses the power steering center link because the centerline of the pitman shaft is in the same location as the power steering box. It's only the small Vega box that uses the manual steering center link.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:50 pm

chuck. i just wasnt sure what box he originally had. it seemed like he had the regular vega box that was rigged to a PS centerlink and that is why i suggested he try and get a later monza manual box or a cosworth manual box, and then the talk went on and it sounded like he still was intent on using the manual vega box, so next i suggested just changing centerlink to a manual centerlink and use the box in hand. this should have solved the problem. still dont know the outcome of this steering dilema on his car.i m sure i know the parts that interchange, just dont understand what the member has... is this correct from my knlwledge.? manual vega box to manual centerlink. power steering box and cosworth box,(manual) and later h-body(non vega) manual steering boxes to the PS centerlink. thanks art
chevyart

Postby bruceb » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Chevyart- Your understanding is correct. I think from the feedback that I have gotten that I have a better idea of how to solve this problem. I am making room in my garage today to get the Monza in there so I can look things over. All feedback is welcome and appreciated! By the the way, I've had this car since 1986.
bruceb

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech