zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby TimMcCabe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:00 am

Wow, that is quite some circuit!
I went down the same road at first and finally decided instead to just modify a 94 Camaro wiper motor to fit, I already had a the tilt steering column with the delay wiper switch/ cruise control on the turn signal from the Camaro installed in the Vega.
The GM wiper switch in the Camaro column works with variable resistance and even the high and low speed are not simple on/ off but based on resistance logic as well. I found this out after I had built the 555 timer circuit and relay to pulse the Vega wiper motor... DOH, I should have done a little more research before hand.
Anyways, very nice work on the Monza.

Cheers,
Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby zeke » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanx Tim!

I wanted to retain the factory dash location for the wiper switch. Also wanted a new switch and not a 40 year old piece.

The relay isn't used for pulse. The normal factory switch shorts the two windings in off position so that it parks in low speed. The truck switch didn't have that so the relay emulates the missing contacts.

The wash circuitry adds complexity. After releasing the button, the pump stops but the wipers continue for 2 or 3 wipes (board selectable) then park. Just like new GM cars. Also has mist - one wipe, no fluid spray.

The motor windings and wash pump are controlled by mosfets so that the switch only sees small current.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:17 pm

BadBowtie wrote:The most sophisticated h-body in existence! The million dollar monza? zeke can rebuild it, stronger, faster, more advanced.

Thanx BBT, but I'm sure there are dudes with more dough into their engines than I have in my whole project. :shock: :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby TimMcCabe » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:51 pm

I put an AC vent where the original wiper switch was, so there was no turning back :)
I build my circuit using the variable resister in the turn signal switch, and then discovered the low and high and wash were not on/ off but based on resistance as well. I built a couple of op amp circuits trying to work with voltage drop to trigger the high and low speed, but it was unreliable, so I finally gave in and spent a stupid amount of time getting the Camaro motor to fit (motor is at 90 degrees, so it did not fit the fire wall).
Anyways, my hat is off to you, great work blending the old and the new.

Cheers and Merry Christmas
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby zeke » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:14 am

Thanx for the comments Tim. Interesting info about the rotary switch stub control wiper switch operation.

Other circuit considerations that had to be solved:

What happens on power up, RC network time delay resets both timer chip outputs briefly.
Correct speed when the wash button is pressed in off, delay, low and high. This added a lot of headaches and parts.
Max and min delay times with the factory 1.5 meg ohm pot. Settled for a compromise of 1.5 s to ~20 s delay.
Correct pulse length to get WM off of the park switch but not overrun it.
Delay cycle phasing - wipers should wipe as soon as switch is moved to delay. (not delay first)
Truck switch output does not ground the high (run) winding in low position.

It was one of the trickier things I've designed no doubt. Your car is the Vega version of what I'm doing and I really enjoyed checking it out. Looking forward to parking my 95 Monza at Bryan's place someday and returning the experience. :D

GTG, I hear some noise outside on the roof. I hope Santa isn't trying to fit through my C-vent! :lol: Merry Christmas eh!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 am

Frozen Friday!

I've been busy with work and my daily drivers lately. Seems Canada Post has lost my PCB's. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 pm

My wiper module PCB's finally arrived. Quality looks to be superb!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:24 am

Components stuffed in, ready for solder.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:30 am

Soldering...
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:22 am

Progress...
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Cover me!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby avewhtboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:52 pm

very nice work,I suppose you tested the final product already?
avewhtboy

Postby zeke » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:10 pm

Design was proven on breadboards. (maybe on last page)

Prototype has not been tested yet, just got it together. Got to wire up switch and vehicle pigtail next.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 am

Had some time tonight to wire up the switch and connector. Successful bench test first try! :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:03 am

Ready for installation and load testing. Video soon.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals